Best Year in Hip-Hop Tournament (group stage)

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/14/2020 19:55
  • Post subject: Best Year in Hip-Hop Tournament (group stage)
So, for those who are as yet unaware, the groups for the upcoming Best Year in Hip-Hop (BYHH) Tournament have been decided. Thanks to everyone who nominated a year. The groups are as follows:

Group A

1996 (Streams)
1998 (RoundTheBend)
2005 (PossiblyMichigan)
2012 (eyezayzay)

Group B

1994 (baystateoftheart)
1997 (LedZep)
2002 (babyBlueSedan)
2015 (Purplepash)

Group C

1993 (cestuneblague)
1999 (Skinny)
2004 (kokkinos)
2017 (Hayden)

Group D

1995 (Mercury)
2000 (Repo)
2006 (Tha1ChiefRocka)
2016 (travelful)

The first set of matches are due to start on the 28th/29th December. They will then run for two weeks without a poll option, in order to give voters an opportunity to explore the albums and singles, and comment in the thread with any potential thoughts on the picks. They will then run for a further 7-10 days (TBC) with a poll option, during which time users can vote on which selections they prefer. At the end of this period, results will be tallied. The winners of each match will receive 2 points, the losers 0 points, and any ties will result in each year receiving 1 point. This will be the same for each round of group stage matches.

Gameweek One:

1996 (Streams) vs. 2005 (PossiblyMichigan)

1998 (RoundTheBend) vs. 2012 (eyezayzay)

1994 (baystateoftheart) vs. 2002 (babyBlueSedan)

1997 (LedZep) vs. 2015 (Purplepash)

1993 (cestuneblague) vs. 2004 (kokkinos)

1999 (Skinny) vs. 2017 (Hayden)

1995 (Mercury) vs. 2006 (Tha1ChiefRocka)

2000 (Repo) vs. 2016 (travelful)

Gameweek Two:

1996 (Streams) vs. 2012 (eyezayzay)

1998 (RoundTheBend) vs. 2005 (PossiblyMichigan)

1994 (baystateoftheart) vs. 2015 (Purplepash)

1997 (LedZep) vs. 2002 (babyBlueSedan)

1993 (cestuneblague) vs. 2017 (Hayden)

1999 (Skinny) vs. 2004 (kokkinos)

1995 (Mercury) vs. 2016 (travelful)

2000 (Repo) vs. 2006 (Tha1ChiefRocka)

Gameweek Three:

1996 (Streams) vs. 1998 (RoundTheBend)

2005 (PossiblyMichigan) vs. 2012 (eyezayzay)

1994 (baystateoftheart) vs. 1997 (LedZep)

2002 (babyBlueSedan) vs. 2015 (Purplepash)

1993 (cestuneblague) vs. 1999 (Skinny)

2004 (kokkinos) vs. 2017 (Hayden)

1995 (Mercury) vs. 2000 (Repo)

2006 (Tha1ChiefRocka) vs. 2016 (travelful)

At the end of the three matches, the top two years from each group will progress to the quarter-final stage. Further details on how this will work can be found on the format and rules thread.

OK, now for the important details. Users must send me their picks for Gameweek One by Christmas Eve (24th December). Users can either send me two albums + two singles for use in that match, or six albums + six singles for use across the group stage, with their picks for Gameweek One specifically highlighted. Please do this via private message, so as not to alert competitors to your choices beforehand. However, if you are in Group C (so that's cestuneblague, kokkinos, and Hayden), please DO NOT send your selections to me. Please send them to PossiblyMichigan, our gracious co-host. I will also send my picks to PossiblyMichigan. I will be messaging reminders to users nearer to the date, so don't worry if you forget.

For the time being, I think that's everything you need to know. However, if you do have any concerns or suggestions regarding the tournament, and particularly the group stage, please don't hesitate to either voice them in this thread or message me privately. If you have queries regarding the release dates of particular albums or singles, just message me privately and I will make a decision (and also endeavour to inform any other users with adjacent years whose selections this may affect).

Peace. I look forward to seeing everyone's selections!

(Also, apologies if you think a third thread essentially clarifying how the tournament will work was unnecessary. I just wanted to make sure everything is as clear as possible, and is seen by those users who have signed up.)
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2020 03:50
  • Post subject:
I feel like this tied the room together like a rug.

Thanks.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/19/2020 16:18
  • Post subject:
Hi everyone!

Just a friendly reminder that your picks for Gameweek One of the group stage need to be sent to myself (or, if you're in Group C, PossiblyMichigan) by Christmas Eve (December 24th).

So far we have received picks from the following users:

Streams (1996)
PossiblyMichigan (2005)
RoundTheBend (1998)
Purplepash (2015)
Skinny (1999)
Mercury (1995)
Tha1ChiefRocka (2006)
travelful (2016)

I will be sending messages out today to the following users just to remind them to get their respective teams to us by the cut-off date:

eyezayzay (2012)
baystateoftheart (1994)
babyBlueSedan (2002)
LedZep (1997)
cestuneblague (1993) [needs to be sent to PossiblyMichigan]
kokkinos (2004) [needs to be sent to PossiblyMichigan]
Hayden (2017) [needs to be sent to PossiblyMichigan]
Repo (2000)

Don't worry guys, I'm not trying to rush people; I'm just taking stock of where we stand currently. You still have five days to get your teams for Gameweek One to us. Remember, that's two albums and two singles for use in your first match.

Also, please do not post your choices in a thread. Please send them to the appropriate host (myself for users in Groups A, B, and D; PossiblyMichigan for users in Group C) via private message. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone!

Last edited by Skinny on 12/19/2020 23:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/19/2020 16:35
  • Post subject:
Should be able to figure mine out sometime today. Think I have the roster, just need to decide what goes against who.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/20/2020 10:58
  • Post subject:
Just to make people aware, if you have already sent your choices and want to change them for whatever reason, you are able to until the 24th of December.
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/20/2020 15:53
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the reminder, I've made lots of progress, worst case scenario I 'll be ready by Thursday, ideally even sooner.
2 questions:
1) Do we just send the picks or an accompanying text too?
2) I am not sure about the genre-wise eligibility of some albums/singles. All of them have hip-hop listed as their main genre in RYM, but I can see why someone would think otherwise. Do I proceed based on that or should I send them to PossiblyMichigan (considering I'm in the same group as Skinny) for confirmation?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/20/2020 16:18
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, I've made lots of progress, worst case scenario I 'll be ready by Thursday, ideally even sooner.
2 questions:
1) Do we just send the picks or an accompanying text too?
2) I am not sure about the genre-wise eligibility of some albums/singles. All of them have hip-hop listed as their main genre in RYM, but I can see why someone would think otherwise. Do I proceed based on that or should I send them to PossiblyMichigan (considering I'm in the same group as Skinny) for confirmation?

1) Don't worry about accompanying text, you can add that into the thread once the matches are posted. There will be uniform formatting for the match OPs.

2) I'll leave it in PossiblyMichigan's very capable hands re: eligibility for anybody in my group. That said, so long as the release date is within your year and hip-hop is a primary (bolded) genre on RYM, it should be fine. If it meets those criteria, I'm largely happy for voters to decide whether or not something qualifies.

('Trip Hop', 'Illbient', 'Plunderphonics', 'Spoken Word', 'Glitch Hop', 'Downtempo', 'Neo Soul', any variation on 'R'n'B', are not varieties of hip-hop, for the purposes of this tournament. Instrumental hip-hop albums in general are allowed but discouraged, because often artists from an instrumental hip-hop background branch out into things that aren't really hip-hop at all, but still get tagged as 'Hip Hop' on RYM due to their authors' previous work. If anyone has any concerns re: eligibility of specific albums, just ask your assigned co-host, either myself or PossiblyMichigan. If needs be, we will decide between us. As we have both locked in our choices for Gameweek One at this point, there isn't really an advantage to us knowing what your selections are for the opening match.)

Last edited by Skinny on 12/20/2020 18:44; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2020 18:21
  • Post subject:
This may be an obvious question, but are all releases that are classified as a mixtape allowed?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/20/2020 18:43
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
This may be an obvious question, but are all releases that are classified as a mixtape allowed?

Not if they're those cheap compilation mixtapes that put together previously released songs and outtakes, but mixtapes of new material are allowed. Again, any issues then just PM me.
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 12/20/2020 21:00
  • Post subject:
Just as an aside I have received submissions from Hayden! Nothing from Saorise's new account but I've fielded some nice questions from kokkinos and I'm sure they'll get em to me
  • Visit poster's website