2021 Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2021 19:13
  • Post subject:
Nice! That looks like it could be cool, the new teenage fan club that is.

Last night these albums were the ones that I liked

Gami Gang by Origami Angel

Just some of the funnest pop emo and midwest emo I’ve heard in forevs. Apparently their album from 2019 was a little stir and quite Loved as well. Need to check it out.

Also

Young Heart by Birdy

The return of pop artist Birdy. But now she sounds a little like one of those songwriters from the 70s. All about a breakup and written well and sung with the heart of her sleeve. If you like 70s singer songwriters you’ll maybe enjoy this .

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/30/2021 20:12
  • Post subject:
I can certainly recommend the Matt Sweeney & Bonnie Prince Billie album: it's very special and since I missed their 2005 album I certainly will have to check that one as well.
Also the new GBV and The Coral album are excellent. The rest will be for tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 05/01/2021 08:36
  • Post subject:

Beachy Head - Beachy Head
Slowdive's Christian Savill came up with this.
A bit closer to pop than shoegaze, the vocals could definitely be lower in the mix and I wish there were more instances throughout the album that would feature the trademark guitar sound - the closing track does move towards that direction and is nothing short of fantastic. I can't complain too much anyway, after back to back to back listens I can say I'm addicted.
  • Visit poster's website
Streams

• Posted: 05/01/2021 15:00
  • Post subject:
the fourth harmonic series newsletter is out, located here: https://harmonicseries.substack.com/p/14

with: a conversation with wandelweiser-related guitarist Cristián Alvear; notation from cellist/vocalist Theresa Wong and Long String Instrument innovator/player Ellen Fullman; and reviews of new releases from claire rousay, Andy Stott, Vladislav Delay, Nate Wooley, and more

I'll stop pushing these links when I stop getting traffic from here <3
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/01/2021 17:26
  • Post subject:
New month, new... update recommendation thing.

So You Think You Found Love? by Sasha A...Valentines

I could see this growing on me. Wasn't quite expecting it to be so solid going into it. Dream pop bordering psych/twee that hits on every track. No duds across the board. Would have been a smash about 7-8 years ago. Not sure where it'll place on my chart, but it definitely will. Don't You Love Me is one of the better pop tracks I've heard this year.

Ghost Caravan by Ståle Storløkken

Antique-organ-played-in-church-core.

Shock Power Of Love EP by Burial / Blackdown

Here's the thing. Had this just been the two Burial tracks (Dark Gethsemane and Space Cadet), it would be on everyone's radar. I'll admit, the two Blackdown tracks are nowhere close to what Burial's put on the board here, which... almost borders insulting as a split release, but it's still well worth a spin. Not sure why Burial didn't just put Dark Gethsemane, Space Cadet, Dolphinz and Chemz all together and finally release something identifiable as an album, but I suppose that's not his thing.

Albatross by Simon Leoza

Beautiful debut here. 2021 has been stellar for modern classical works. Really lush, textural, etherial experience here. Floating, yet not lost within clouds.

Caeli by Bára Gísladóttir & Skúli Sverrisson

I might send Iceland an e-mail asking why this is two hours long, but otherwise. There's easily three albums worth of material here. Haven't a clue why it's been overstuffed into a single record. BUT it's good. So... it's a pickle. Due to it's length and lack of variety, I'm not sold I can recommend it as a whole, but pluck any 35-40 minute segment from it as a worthwhile spin. (Particularly at night).

Vannstand by Maja S. K. Ratkje

The ocean, played by kids.

Roots To Branches by Soojin Suh

The jazz. Soojin clearly wants to break free and explode, but she stays rather rooted to standard hard bop throughout the record. Wouldn't be surprised if her next work was significantly more freeform.

Friend's Peace by The Black Twig Pickers

And finally, this. Super solid bluegrass/americana record. Just what you want when you hit play. Even if those genres aren't usually your thing, the musicianship here is pretty easy to respect and enjoy. Glad I gave it a listen. Ace.

A little odd, but that Tony Allen album missed its release date. Hoping for next week.
  • Visit poster's website
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 05/03/2021 03:43
  • Post subject:
Been busy as hell in life and have fallen behind a bit on my album listenings, but plugging two albums from this past month that haven't been talked about.

Head Of Roses by Flock Of Dimes

First up is Head of Roses by Flock of Dimes. This is Wassner's best work to date, which is saying a lot. Beautiful and intimate songs. Produced with an all-star team (Nick Sanborn of Sylvan Esso and the sound wizard Bella Blasko). Amazing collaborators too. Can't recommend this one enough.

Crossing Over by Sour Widows

Plugging this album which is near to my heart. I grew up with the members of Sour Widows and I'm so excited and proud of this record. This is their 2nd EP, and it's already garnering attention from NPR and Pitchfork. Cathartic bedroom rock, reminiscent of Big Thief with 90s grunge influence. Crossing Over is an epic and Bathroom Stall breaks hearts. Incredible craft in their songwriting, fantastic musicianship with their guitar work. Keep an eye out for these up-and-comers
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2021 18:38
  • Post subject:
New Modest Mouse "The Golden Casket" Releasing 2021.08.06:

The album cover is so bad it's good.... good cover for people who like bad covers?
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/07/2021 12:39
  • Post subject:

Bright Green Field by Squid

This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2021 13:13
  • Post subject:
I was hoping the TDE announcement last week was for an album drop.... should have known TDE wouldn't give fans music that easily. New single from Isaiah Rashad is okay, but not exactly a satisfying lead single after 5 years. Still very excited for the upcoming album but we gotta wait another month yet.

J Cole released an interlude as his lead single, can't say it got me very excited for his album next week.

Little Simz on the other hand killed it with her second single in a few weeks. So excited for her upcoming album. You can't talk the best rappers currently without mentioning Little Simz.

Czarface & MF DOOM dropped an album today, I haven't heard it quite yet but I am hopeful.

Super What? by Czarface & MF DOOM

Wiki also released a new album with Nah. I played it this morning and enjoyed it a lot, it was just too short!

Telephonebooth by Wiki & Nah
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/07/2021 14:45
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Bright Green Field by Squid

This new Squid is... wow. The best year for post punk since early 00s, maybe even since the 80s and it's still early May. Also my most anticipated post punk album drops on the 28th (Black Midi). Those Brits know what's up.

Not to sound like a parrot, but this is a bizarrely strong year for post-punk. I'm only halfway through the record, but this is excellent. If it keeps up this quality through the second half, I mean... I think five of the best post-punk records this century have been released in the past 4.5 months. It's insane.

Good on these guys though. Great sound throughout. Not thrilled with the cover, looks more like a single or techno EP or something, but I'm assuming it'll grow on me.

And I had no idea there was a new (albeit short) DOOM project coming out. Going to hit play on that soon.
  • Visit poster's website