Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2021 19:51
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Looks cool, carols! In my queue! Glad you’re loving the new black midi

———

I have never had my special moment with them, but I imagine many of you are overjoyed and excited about the new Sweet Trip? What are the general impressions from fans of theirs?

A Tiny House, In Secret Speeches, Polar...Sweet Trip

Absolutely loved it. It's their dreamiest and most romantic release yet. Pays appropriate homage to their glitchy, IDM side from V : D : C without being a copy-cat. I wish every dream pop record captured this sound and feeling.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/28/2021 20:56
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
3) "Recuerdame" was actually sang by Natalia Lafourcade in the credits to Coco, so it's hard to say this is a cover version when she was (one of) the original artist(s). But it's definitely a re-imagining which is cool.

Yeah, this is the first time she's put in on an album though (and it's definitely her vision of the track). Think she did a lovely job with it.

Fair enough on the Musas comments (of which I think Vol. II is superior, but I think I'm going with Vol I for Un Canto Por Mexico). Because I'm doubtful for a Vol III of either, jumping into playlist-mode, I'd mush Hasta La Raiz, Musas Vol I & II and Un Canto Por Mexico Vol I & II's tracklists into—

Danza de Gardenias
El Balajú / Serenata Huasteca
Cien años
Alma mía / Tú me Acostumbraste / Soledad y el mar
Veracruz
Una Vida
Hasta La Raiz
Recuérdame
Mi lugar favorito
Ya no te puedo quere
Tus ojitos (Vals de la guardia vieja)
Eclipse
Para Que Surfrir
Un Derecho De Nacimiento
Nunca Es Suficiente
Nada es verdad
La trenza / Amor completo
Mexicana Hermosa
Luz de luna
Ya No Vivo Por Vivir
La llorona
Desdenosa
Vámonos negrito
Vals poético
Cucurrucucú Paloma
Rocío de todos los campos
Sembrando Flores
Lo Que Construimos
Soy lo prohibido
Te Sigo
Mi Tierra Veracruzana
Lo que construimos
Son amores (That's Amore)
Tú sí sabes quererme
No más llorar
Alfonsinoa y el Mar

... Anxious however long that is. Probably close to 3.5 hours. Think it's a solid Mexican songbook bible though.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/28/2021 20:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Turn My Dial: M Squared Recordings And ... Shoelaces
This is a comp, but I'm tossing it here because it's really worth a spin. Unfathomably good for a band that young. Here's a solid write-up on Bandcamp about them: https://daily.bandcamp.com/album-of-the...ial-review

Thanks hayden for the rec (and for the awesome work reccing this and that and this again that are all, imo, at least of interest. I don't post often anymore but I stillread and listen, so thanks).

Also, I'm not sure whether Jimmy and/or Maguey are still reading around, but this rec's right up your alley tweewise, friends, Flying Nun meet TVPs meet The Vaselines.

Last edited by Norman Bates on 05/28/2021 21:01; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/28/2021 20:59
  • Post subject:
And I'm going to toss this in for today's releases too—

Ruinas Futuras by Wild Honey

Excellent bit of indie pop. Dialled back but bright on the ears. Not a bad day for releases (and I'm not even halfway through what I want to hear).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/28/2021 21:29
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Turn My Dial: M Squared Recordings And ... Shoelaces
This is a comp, but I'm tossing it here because it's really worth a spin. Unfathomably good for a band that young. Here's a solid write-up on Bandcamp about them: https://daily.bandcamp.com/album-of-the...ial-review

Thanks hayden for the rec (and for the awesome work reccing this and that and this again that are all, imo, at least of interest. I don't post often anymore but I stillread and listen, so thanks).

Also, I'm not sure whether Jimmy and/or Maguey are still reading around, but this rec's right up your alley tweewise, friends, Flying Nun meet TVPs meet The Vaselines.

Appreciate it Norman. Glad you're picking some up Smile (hit or miss or somewhere in the middle).

I could see a lot of BEA enjoying that comp. I know 'pre-teen rockband' is a hard sell, but they were at least ten to fifteen years ahead of themselves in every aspect. It's a great showcase of their discography. Little jealous tbh. I don't usually place archives/comps on years charts, especially decades after they were recorded, but I might make an exception here. Glad they're getting a moment to shine.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/29/2021 01:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden’s actually underselling Índio Da Cuíca’s debut, it’s in my top 20 and I’m not big on MPB (yet, making my way through the classics). The story behind his Cuica drum playing is interesting too. From my chart because I’m lazy:

Quote:
Wonderful modern version of MPB and Samba (and other Brazilian genres like Jongo, Afoxé) with a dash of avant folk. Indio is a cuíca (Brazilian friction drum played by rubbing a wooden stick attached to the drumhead) maestro who has developed a melodic style of "drumming", as in he can literally play a melody with what is a non melodic instrument.

For reference, he’s holding cuica on that cover (which is brilliant btw). Irl it looks something like this

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2021 17:14
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Hayden’s actually underselling Índio Da Cuíca’s debut, it’s in my top 20 and I’m not big on MPB (yet, making my way through the classics). The story behind his Cuica drum playing is interesting too. From my chart because I’m lazy:

Quote:
Wonderful modern version of MPB and Samba (and other Brazilian genres like Jongo, Afoxé) with a dash of avant folk. Indio is a cuíca (Brazilian friction drum played by rubbing a wooden stick attached to the drumhead) maestro who has developed a melodic style of "drumming", as in he can literally play a melody with what is a non melodic instrument.

For reference, he’s holding cuica on that cover (which is brilliant btw). Irl it looks something like this

Glad you liked it too LedZep. Bit of a late bloomer, dropping his first album at 70, but I'm glad he did nonetheless. I imagine it'd be a blast live. Seems like an interesting dude. He had an absolutely bizarre photoshoot for the record too.

• Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2021 17:46
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
possibly the best trap album since Savage Mode II

DR. EV4L by Young Nudy

Checked out the new ThouxanBanFauni after a recommendation on RYM. I think I slightly prefer this record to Young Nudy's although both are excellent trap albums.

Time Of My Life by Thouxanbanfauni

Young Nudy sounds like Gucci Mane but his production choice is that of Chief Keef.
ThouxanBanFauni takes a more airy cloud rap approach. He reminds me of Travis Scott at times but generally less hype and more minimalist production.

Both are in my top 10 of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/03/2021 03:44
  • Post subject:
*digs around the rec crate*

1902 by Kata

For those who know who Huldufólk are, and appreciate their choir practicing at the bottom of a foggy well.

Wari Bô by Burkina Azza

For those who have sat in a circle and jammed endless with friends knowing it's the journey not the destination.

Safala by Liliane Chlela

For those who get mad questioning how Chlela managed to get those sounds to work like they did. I am quite angry at her.

Superpower 2020 सुपरपॉव... by Lifafa

For those very scared of the future who know they have far too much on their mind to be drunk at 2am stumbling some street you've never seen in your life yet know it's the only place you can possibly be that makes sense.

For Joseph Riddle by Sneaky Jesus

And this one's just some neat jazz stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2021 15:49
  • Post subject:
Two stellar albums to rec that just rocked my socks.

Small Infinity by Houston Kendrick

R&B/neo-soul album, heavily influenced by Frank Ocean. High tenor soulful voice with gorgeous tracks and arrangements. All about exploring identity and duality. Beautiful stuff.

This Time I'll Be Of Use by 81355

Very cool rap/electronic album that just dropped on Vernon and Dessner's 37d03d label. Collab between Sirius Blvck, Oreo Jones, and Sedcairn Archives. A lot of reflections about Black identity in the wake of BLM this past year. Brilliant lyrics, sick beats.
  • Visit poster's website