2021 Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
pjohnsongolf

• Posted: 09/24/2021 06:20
  • Post subject:

A Beginner's Mind by Sufjan Stevens &am... Augustine

Not to be a Sufjan Stan or anything but this album is wonderful. It sounds and feels like the gates of heaven have opened.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2021 06:23
  • Post subject:
pjohnsongolf wrote:

Not to be a Sufjan Stan or anything but this album is wonderful. It sounds and feels like the gates of heaven have opened.

Agreed. It’s gorgeous.

edit: after listening to this Sufjan I went ahead and listened to the new Andy Shauf. Its incredible. Listened 3 times through. Its seemingly effortless indie rock/folk/pop/whatever, with a very very laid back sound and some sweet songwriting and a calm, almost humorously low effort (slurred words and a certain sleepiness) vocals. I adore almost everything about it.

This is what I'm talking about:

Wilds by Andy Shauf

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2021 15:31
  • Post subject:
new sufjan stevens is pretty good. reminds me of seven swans, albeit a bit heavier on the fantastical oz.

esperanza spalding dropped a new record, quite a bit more experimental than her fusion stuff, a crossover album of sorts. first listen dropped it in at two on my year chart. i have a habit of falling into shiny new toy syndrome, but listening again this morning, i think it will hold its spot near the top of my list.

enjoyed my first listen through jesca hoop's latest as well. she writes the catchiest melodies. i believe this is the destruction of a previous release, but i'm not familiar with her back catalog prior to 2017.

amon tobin dropped i think the most interesting thing he's done in too long.

japanese breakfast soundtrack pretty solid.

st. vincent released another album last week (soundtrack for the mockumentary she debuted last year). it's quite nice, albeit a little short. i might prefer this more instrumental side of her.

Last edited by craola on 09/27/2021 15:48; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2021 16:59
  • Post subject:

By The Time I Get To Phoenix by Injury Reserve

Listened through this yesterday for the first time and it really rocked my world. The compositions remind me a bit of Fetch The Bolt Cutters in how the utter chaos of parts comes together in a seamless and fluid collage. Some serious peaks on the record, especially Knees. Need to listen through more, but what a year for postmodern music. Might be this decade's sound.

Also loving this. Sufjan's best since CMBYN music. Beautiful and meditative songs.

Anna B Savage also released a fantastic EP today called These Dreams. Heavy art-rock, on par with A Common Turn from earlier this year (one of my AOTY's). Big rec for this EP.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 09/25/2021 00:15
  • Post subject:
Yeah what a fantastic day for music. 'A Beginner's Mind' is my new favorite album of the decade, and 'Olympus' could be my favorite song of the year. That's not all that impressed me today though.

The Color Blu(e) by Blu

Blu dropped a new record today which is excellently produced. The rapping is great but it's more of the same from Blu lyrically. It's a good record, fans will certainly enjoy it.

Saet El Hazz (The Luck Hour) by Maurice Louca

Maurice Louca caught my attention in 2019 when I think someone on here recommended 'Elephantine'. I still prefer Elephantine to this one but there is some awesome tracks on here like 'Bidayat', 'Yara', and 'Higamah'. Some of it is a bit too dense for me and avant-folk isn't usually my thing, but I think some of y'all who dig this genre more than me may really love it.

Into The Late Night by Larry June & Cardo

Cardo already produced one of my favorite hip-hop albums this year with Payroll Giovanni, and now he teamed up with Larry June for a 7 track EP. Larry June is in the same lane as Payroll, making some west coast hustler music that pulls a lot from G-funk and mobb music. Cardo is just incredible and Larry June flows so smoothly over these beats. I still prefer Cardo's album with Payroll, but this will definitely be in my rotation.

Sable by Japanese Breakfast

I already posted about this one in the Videogame Soundtrack thread but i'll just mention it here as well. Excellent ambient music from Japanese Breakfast that can certainly be enjoyed without needing to play the game (but the music will make you want to play the game). One of my favorite listens of the 2020's.

I haven't listened to these yet but Westside Gunn also released side B to his 'Hitler Wears Hermes 8' mixtape that came out earlier this year. D Smoke released his new album (I liked his album last year quite a bit), and both Killah Priest and Joey Purp were supposed to drop today but they appear to be delayed atm.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/25/2021 04:11
  • Post subject:
Big day, only had time to spin A Beginner's Mind. Amazing effort. Stupid gorgeous for a folk record. Olympus? Jesus. Back To Oz in particular floored me. What an arrow.

Murder And Crime had some straight-up A-grade Elliott Smith vibes.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/30/2021 15:07
  • Post subject:
New Aquilus album truly exists. December 3rd is the official release date, name's Bellum I (there'll be a second one too sometime in the future). 8 songs, I'd guess the runtime is again over an hour.

If anyone on BEA feels like folk metal with loads of instruments, heavy symphonic classical elements and black metal vocals is their thing, give
Griseus a listen before this new one drops.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2021 02:53
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
New Aquilus album truly exists. December 3rd is the official release date, name's Bellum I (there'll be a second one too sometime in the future). 8 songs, I'd guess the runtime is again over an hour.

If anyone on BEA feels like folk metal with loads of instruments, heavy symphonic classical elements and black metal vocals is their thing, give
Griseus a listen before this new one drops.

ooooh that sounds pretty fascinating. Added pretty high on 2021 queue.

tonight:

NEW BRANDI CARLILE!!!!!!

New FULL OF HELL!!! (badass.... let's see if they can match or top Knoll)

also new Strand of Oaks, and those are the ones that as of now catch my attention. Those first 2 will probably be getting first listen. Whether new Carlile or new Full of Hell is what I listen to at 12pm depends on my mood.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
LTSings

United States

• Posted: 10/04/2021 02:56
  • Post subject:
Just Sing! - By: The Collingsworth Family

Coming out in November. The harmonies on these audio clips sound so good! I can't wait until it's out! https://thecollingsworthfamily.com/albu.../just-sing Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/04/2021 21:17
  • Post subject:
*scrolls through the mess that is recent 2021 notes*

—Illuminati Hotties good
—Blu's having fun (and he's pretty good at it) hope he cleared those samples ($$$)
—Tirzah's a halfasleep Laurie Anderson wake-up
—Kedr Livanskiy's got a nice dream whipped up (her best yet)
—Drinking Boys And Girls Choir (thumbs up)
—Mohannad Nasser's classic oud work on Al Hamra (thumbs up)
— 之 / OF (Li Yelei) (thumbs up)
—Ustad Saami's best so far
—Kondi Band brought the thumb party (more thumbs, every direction)
—Canadians bringing surf vibes with Andy Shauf and The Garrys (even more thumbs up, maple-scented)
—Not enough room on my chart
—Arca's got another record on the December way
—Tanya Tagaq's next album will be mixed by Gonjasufi, which sounds awesome, but it's not out until next year
—DJ Seinfeld still underappreciated
—and my listen list feels endless
—Singles this year are STELLAR
—2021>2020 I think (this is truly a very good year for music, and it isn't being treated as such)
—P4k's taste is whack this year
  • Visit poster's website