Recommendations Thread 2.0

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
KitchenSink

• Posted: 01/12/2021 10:45
  • Post subject: Recommendations Thread 2.0
seems the old thread got buried and locked who knows how long ago, so anyway

Here is a thread to ask for (and hopefully receive) music recommendations from the community

to keep the thread from getting too cluttered, please only recommend stuff when responding to a request of some sort, this isn't a thread to just drop stuff you generally feel should be listened to (we have other threads for that). This is a thread for "please help me find X", where ideally BEA can indeed help you find X Idea

Last edited by KitchenSink on 01/12/2021 23:37; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 01/12/2021 10:45
  • Post subject:
since of course I have to start it off with an extremely specific dumbass longshot of a request, does anyone know of anything that sounds like someone torturing a bass trombone. this is not a shitpost please give me the overblown trombone low notes
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/12/2021 11:55
  • Post subject:
Hmm...

I don’t know what a makes a trombone sound different than a tuba or a trumpet, but by looking through chaotic music and searching “trombone”’ in the credits I can find....

Corpus Cum Figuris; Thus Saw St. John; ...oul Ruders

The Marmalade King by Gerry Hemingway

I wish I had more solo stuff to recommend, but this is the closest thing I could find.

The Solo Trombone Record by George Lewis
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/12/2021 12:04
  • Post subject:
BEA, can you help me find more GAY (avant-garde) jazz? I thought the history books would be full of them, but the only two really FLAMBOYANT examples I can think of are both on my chart:

2 For Tea by Sergey Kuryokhin & David Moss
And

Trust In Rock by "Blue" Gene ...ter Gordon

There’s also this album that I’m not allowed to add to RYM
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album...a_del_sol/
  • Visit poster's website
JoyofDivision

• Posted: 01/12/2021 12:28
  • Post subject:

Link
Streams

• Posted: 01/12/2021 13:36
  • Post subject:
KitchenSink wrote:
torturing a bass trombone

Rill's recs don't fit your description, but at least the last two are great records

I imagine this is stemming from Weston Olencki's Solo Works; if not, you need listen to that. The trombone is not a bass trombone, but you'll notice that the trombone track ("capacity") still sounds like a trombone while the trumpet and euphonium tracks could successfully mask the identity of the instruments as noise machines. I have not found a recording in which the trombone produces truly acousmatic sound. Olencki is in a group called Rage Thormbones with Matt Barbieri, whose gravlax tracks here are bass trombone (pretty sure) and it's noisy sure, but it also feels like the instrument could be dismantled a lot further. If modern classical/free noise for the bass trombone is going to be made, I have a strong hunch it will come from NYC and probably someone associated with these two; unfortunately, they're all over the place in instrumentation, so it will probably take time if it does happen (you could always reach out about commissioning it). The best avant-garde trombonist I know in all of Europe right now is Matthias Muller, but his tendencies lean more "reductionist" than noise. Fundament's a low-end group that gets noisy (not nearly how Olencki is, but in the sense that it's dense free-sounding playing), and features bass saxophone, bass tuba, and tubax, but not even bass trombone; it's a super-obscure instrument. Beyond Olencki and Barbieri, if someone in the world knew about these kinds of recordings, it would probably be Nate Wooley; you could always float a tweet asking them about this.

Applerill wrote:
can you help me find more GAY (avant-garde) jazz

Contemporary musicians typically don't address sexual orientation in their liners, but they do address whether their work is concerned with queerness. Trumpeter Jacob Wick comes to mind. Percussionist claire rousay explicitly addresses it here, but a lot of her recent work is approaching non-music (which is the queerest music of all, see below). And percussionist Sarah Hennies is the composer that addresses queerness most comprehensively, with pieces like contralto, her psalms (e.g. Psalm III for wood block), her failure pieces like Falsetto, and trash pieces like Fleas; I suggest watching her bit (and the others) from ISSUE's Queer Trash Symposium here; my personal favorite right now is Spectral Malsconcities, the first track of which is probably the jazziest. Wick is probably closer to jazz, rousay to non-music, and Hennies to chamber music; all avant-garde though, all explicitly addressing queerness in their music.

Recommended reading: All Sound is Queer by Drew Daniels (of Matmos)
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/12/2021 14:00
  • Post subject:
Darn, that essay was really, really great. Though now that I think about it, I guess what I’m really looking for is camp in jazz.

Listening to the spectral Hennies album now
  • Visit poster's website
Streams

• Posted: 01/12/2021 14:25
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
camp in jazz

There's always Sun Ra in the '80s. And I'm just now remembering Cecil Taylor was gay and relatively flamboyant, but I don't think this is ever apparent in the music.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/13/2021 05:44
  • Post subject:
Quote:
trombone

I can probably find a few more, but I knew that this had a trombone as part of the orchestration.

Per Nørgård: Symphony No. 6 'At The E... Orchestra[/quote]

This was on the album listening thing we did awhile ago. I looked up the orchestration, and it turns out that not only is trombone present, but it's a "double bass trombone".

There's some low brass sounds near the 4:30 mark. Minute 13:00 as well.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/13/2021 05:56
  • Post subject:
yo give me your favorite jazz fusion albums that exemplify "fun" and "groove" at the same time
  • Visit poster's website