57%  [11]
Total Votes : 19

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2021 02:55
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Unless I have a last minute swing, I'm abstaining. Can't pick this one. One second I think '95's got this, the next '16, etc, etc... Can't pick.

Yeah I'm having a hard time too... leaning 2016 now... but... it's super close.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/01/2021 20:43
  • Post subject:
Eightball & MJG - On Top of the World is what I'd call an obscure classic, if such a term makes any sense whatsoever. If you are familiar with it, you will rank it pretty high, but how many casual -what do you mean by casual, you may ask, just a pointless discussion to be honest - listeners do? Anyway, moving on to the album itself, the production is good, but not too good, in the sense that it seems to voluntarily take a step behind to allow the rapping duo room to shine. Still, this funky-oriented naturally flowing sound is irresistible. Both rappers are on top of their game here - at this point they had released three albums in the span of three years, so it's rather easy to track down their development. This includes both their delivery and their rhymes ("I try to listen cause 8ball ain't the one to knock it But I can't hear over the echo from my empty pocket Instead of sweating me, fool, sweat Chuck D Cause I been true to playa shit since ’83 Southern funkadelic preacher, I'm here to reach ya Don't be so prejudiced, and let my holy words teach ya ... I come from Tennessee and love drinkin’ Hennessy Peace to KRS, but here’s my philosophy"). Many highlights here, the top one as a whole track has to be What Can I Do ("But every time a nigga come with a bigger figure I gotta dash home and get my fuckin' serve on Makin' fast money, hook me like nicotine This on the street shit is deeper than a submarine One day I want to have a wife and live twice as nice Afraid I'm gonna lose my life before I get it right"), but there are many great moments, for example the chorus in Friend or Foe or the hook in Top of the World or the intro in In The Line of Duty are all super catchy/addictive.
To sum it up, I've never viewed it as a favorite of mine, but you gotta admit it's a huge album.
Next one is gonna be The Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/01/2021 22:25
  • Post subject:
OK I've relistened to Still Brazy, it's much better than I remember. I forgot how many different styles it dabbles into, G-Funk, Mobb, trap triplets, hardcore west coast stuff... It's still comparable to On Top of the World and it's still not as good, but it's much closer. 1995 wins it for me though.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/02/2021 18:52
  • Post subject:
The Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia feels like a perfect fit next to On Top of the World. I can by no meanas say it's as an "obscure classic" as the latter, but you could definitely make a case for it being underrated compared to some other classics of that era. By the way, I've always had the impression that 1994 was the absolute hip hop year but with the help of this tournament I slowly realise what a monster of a year 1995 was as well. That having been said, this is an another album that goes in "classics that almost pass me by" category. It's always been great company when I'm looking for some background music, but it has never managed to fully capture my attention, 2 or 3 tracks in and I find myself doing something else simultaneously. I consider this more consistent than their previous album -even though there were some tracks that felt a bit too long, plus the skits of Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde have always seemed cleary superior to me- but it doesn't reach the same ridiculously high highs. The production is the star of the album. Jazz based beats might not sound groundbreaking when talking about the 90's but there's enough to differentiate them from the masses and sound unique, fresh and lively, especially combined with the rapping. Their lyrics are not only entertainment-oriented, there's serious stuff, too ("I recall being three when Sunny passed away One of the greatest in my eyes till this very day Too young to understand but understood the ways of good and evil Life and death was in the breath of times fate And God only knows what kept Peggy straight Cuz in the very next year my Aunt Dorothy was the late"). When it comes to picking a favorite, I would go with either Moment In TIme or Y? ("And sometimes in my mind all I wanna do is cry Highly up-set but nothing drops from my eye Those drain out my skin cause I'm pissed from within I see a situation now and all I do is grin People think I'm high but I'm mentally travelling Aging is your times cause life's unraveling While I'm straddlin' walls up this fuckin' mic I hate to be a pilot crashin' in a flight People need to know about this thing called life Cause if you see the light then life's alright").
To sum it up, I would rank this behind On Top of the World.
Next one is gonna be Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/02/2021 19:20
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
OK I've relistened to Still Brazy, it's much better than I remember. I forgot how many different styles it dabbles into, G-Funk, Mobb, trap triplets, hardcore west coast stuff... It's still comparable to On Top of the World and it's still not as good, but it's much closer. 1995 wins it for me though.

YG has always been a very limited rapper, but he consistently makes the most of his strengths. The flows on the title track are a lesson in space and repetition, utilising catchy mantras and well-placed backing vocals to come up with an almost endless series of quotables. He's also a super economical writer, able to convey a mood in very few words and able to tell a story with a single line. This album is also extremely clever at using traditionally summery, breezy sounds and turning them on their head to create a sense of claustrophic L.A. heat, of a sweaty, paranoid summer spent indoors, clutching a gun in one hand and a blunt in the other. In that sense, it's a direct descendant of Pac's 7 Day Theory, another of my all-time favourites.
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/02/2021 20:52
  • Post subject:
Moving twenty one years forward from 1995 to 2016, but this matchup continues the streak of classics with Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition like a single day didn't pass. Right off the bat you get the main idea, it's gonna be a trip down some of the darkest paths of the human experience, namely drugs. ("I'm sweating like I’m in a rave Been in this room for 3 days Think I’m hearing voices Paranoid and think I’m seeing ghost-es, oh shit Phone keep ringing but I cut that shit off Only time I use it when I tell the dealer drop it off"). The frenzy of his delivery -matched by the production that likewise follows the same direction - showcases how it can make you totally lose control. There is the exception of Tell Me What I Don't Know, which comes with a different delivery, maybe he's getting numb and he's lost his energy - again due to the same reason. One has to mention the guests when talking about this album, especially Really Doe. It comes with its own all star lineup, though it has to be said that Kendrick comes dangerously close to stealing the show ("The rev undid, the all day madness Got it off the wipe it off, the evidence, the blood on mattress Big power, big stages My zoo cannot fit the cages This booth is not used to fakin'") and Earl is not half bad either ("Good, hood I wish you motherfuckin' would Listen, wish a motherfucker would, Brown I had to put my foot down It's like I'm popping a clutch Your hate palpable, your jaw full of dust You gon' keep talkin' or are we lockin' it up? And I'm the type of nigga it ain't never been an honor to judge You a mouse that the falcon picked up So disrespect will get you checked like the top of the month"). 15 tracks in about 45 minutes may seem like too many, but I guess that's the point, they go by too fast and they leave you with a hazy recollection of what happened, just like a hangover.
To sum it up, this easily ranks into top 10 albums of the tournament so far, most likely top 5, too.
Next one is gonna be YG - Still Brazy.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/03/2021 20:21
  • Post subject:
Last album of the matchup is YG - Still Brazy and it more or less confirmed what has already been stated here in regard to how heavily competitive this matchup is. Sound-wise this could fit very well into the 1995 team, which is an impressive feat, considering the 21 years span, but the truth is the 90's vibes here are irresistible. The same applies to the lyrics, too. They are full of gangsta stories -there are some political themes as well, just check FDT - that would make any 90's hip hop artist proud ("I'm like, "Damn, did the homies set me up?" Cause we ain't really been talking much I know that sounds sick, my thoughts dark as fuck Like the barrel of the pistol I saw when he sparked it up Prolly was mad as fuck when I walked out the hospital Stupid ass motherfuckers, thinking they was going to stop Jizzle"). Now, all of this may not sound that inspiring or promising -maybe a bit boring even-, as there have been many artists through the years who drew similar influences, but this has to be near the very top of this category due to the presence of many elements in all of its aspects (production/rapping/lyrics) that guarantee it has its own personality. When looking for highlights, the self titled track is an obvious choice ("Look at my life Been through it all, got bullet wounds twice Still don't know where it came from, yikes Why everybody want a piece of my pie? I, I, gotta keep guns with me Shit real, I ain't tryna be pretty Paranoia got this Henny in my kidney") and I would also add Don't Come to LA ("Ugh! First off, this a no-fly zone If you ain't laying with the chrome, better take your ass home Like it's the first of the month, cash the checks and c'mon Yeah, you better check in if you niggas want room Look, one call on my phone My Tiny Locs pull up, put that thing on your dome Your money chain and Rollie, 60 seconds is gone").
To sum it up, I would rank this clearly behind Atrocity Exhibition, marginally behind On Top of the World and marginally ahead of Labcabincalifornia, meaning that 2016 has an advantage before moving on to the singles.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/03/2021 22:26
  • Post subject:
My ranking for the singles:
1st: Crooklyn Dodgers '95 - Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers
Even though all the singles are great, the first spot is a no-contest.
2nd: ScHoolboy Q - JoHn Muir
Extremely addictive, I could listen to it all day long.
3rd: Pusha T - Drug Dealers Anonymous (ft. Jay-Z)
Maybe I'm underrating it, but it won't have any influence on the outcome of the matchup, you can already see where this is going.
4th: Fugees - Fu-Gee-La
An iconic track, it's just that the other three are more special to me.

To sum it up, the two teams are more or less evenly matched in the singles department, meaning the albums decide the winner, which is 2016. Case closed.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2021 20:28
  • Post subject:
On Top Of The World: 3.5/5
Labcabincalifornia: 4/5
Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers: 4/5
Fu-Gee-La: 4.5/5

1995 Total: 16/20

Atrocity Exhibition: 4/5
Still Brazy: 4/5
JoHn Muir: 4/5
Drug Dealers Anonymous: 4/5

2016 Total: 16/20

Great matchup. Giving my vote to 2016 because the albums are slightly better.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/07/2021 09:43
  • Post subject:
Not overhyped at all, greatest matchup yet with not a less-than-stellar offering anywhere. Surprisingly it's Still Brazy that puts '16 over the top, the great distinctly west coast answer to We Can't Be Stopped than I never knew was needed. Masterpiece, as is Atrocity Exhibition. But '95 is constiently excellent and should be a wild poll regardless.
  • Visit poster's website