62%  [10]
Total Votes : 16

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2021 03:25
  • Post subject: Re: BYHH GW2: Group C - 1999 vs. 2004
1999 (captain: Skinny) (10.5)
E-40 - Charlie Hustle: The Blueprint of a Self-Made Millionaire (2.5)
E-40's command over the mic is undeniably stellar. Somehow this album doesn't click well with me regardless of the talent. Still a high rating because it's a great hip-hop record.
Guerilla Maab - Rise (2)
This on the other hand... maybe I need a re-listen (only one listen)... maybe I was distracted... idk I just was like meh.
Dr. Dre - Still D.R.E. (ft. Snoop Dogg) (3)
Some of the best singles of the round for sure. Even if this single is possibly the best off the record, something tells me if this album was in the running, and likely another kickass single replacing this, it may have tipped the hat for a solid win for me. 105.9 memories for sure.
dead prez - Hip Hop (3)
Another of the best singles of this round. 'nuff said.

vs.

2004 (captain: kokkinos) (10.75)
MF DOOM - MM.. FOOD (3)
Mostly because lyrics are often the last to right true for me, this record hits more home for me than the classic Madvilliany.
Madvillain - Madvillainy (2.75)
I probably have nothing worth saying here.
Viktor Vaughn - Mr. Clean (2.5)
This was good, but wasn't like "some hot shit" vibes.
De La Soul - Rock Co. Kane Flow (ft. MF DOOM) (2.5)
This was good, but wasn't like "some hot shit" vibes.

I think it's genius to have this team all be DOOM records. I guess I care more about historical chains/cultural significance, and seeing this string together just solidifies DOOM's rightful place. Crazy it barely beat out the 99 team for me. If E-40 and I connected more, it would've lost for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/07/2021 09:20
  • Post subject:
Yeah this is a great example of constast, but I like pretty much everything here. Charlie Hustle is pretty much "The Essence of E-40" kind of release than something vintage East Bay, that puts pretty much every side of him on full display, and I really love that now-kitchscy futurstic-Y2k meets late 70's funk production. One of his most underrated albums for sure. Have to admit the Guerrila Maab was more of a slow-burner but I'm digging it more and more each new listen. I'm not ashamed to admit I don't really care for Dre as a featured rapper (the main reason I switched at the last second from '92 is cause I didn't want The Chronic to be my centerpiece), but this I actually really, really dig this track, perhaps nostalgia or just that there's far more Snoop this time around it still sounds vedy, vedy nice. Hip Hop is fucking fire and def the best single in this matchup.

But man I do love the bold decision to go all MF Doom for '04. I can't believe I've never heard MM... Food until now, I love the concept but man it's still dwarfed by Madvilliany, timeless and yet a perfect expression of it's time, classic in every way. I admire more than like that Vaudevillian album but this single is very solid, same with the De La Soul collab for the other. MF Doom was the earth and I guess '04 was just the moon.

So yeah a really hard matchup to decide cause they're almost impossible to compare, but will vote and am fascinated to see what prevails here.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/07/2021 11:00
  • Post subject:
I couldn't decline Skinny's invitation, I think I did my best to maintain my impartiality, but it feels a bit awkward no matter what. I wondered if I should wait for the voting to be over in order to post this, but for discussion's sake it makes more sense to put it out there at this moment. Hopefully it isn't viewed as attempting to propagandize in favor of my team - if that were my intention, I would try to "promote" my own picks, not diminish the ones I'm up againist. Anyway, let's begin.
Albums
E-40 - Charlie Hustle: The Blueprint of a Self-Made Millionaire is not the album I would rank at the top of his discography (I mean, the competition is wild), but it is undoubtedly an essential album and does indeed feel underrated. As I mentioned in the My Ghetto Report Card review, I happened to listen to that album first, so this was recored in my mind as his sound. Then I discovered In a Major Way, so this "in-between" phase came last. So, I guess this explains why, production-wise, it's proved to be the least accessible for me. On the other hand, this further emphasizes what a mind-blowing rapper he is. His versatility is astounding, he can make any beat sound better than it actually is and the -already brought up by Skinny- influence on next generation's rappers is more obvious here. The guests were a part I felt could be missing, it's not that they were bad or something, but they were distracting -first because I wanted to listen to E-40, not them, and second because they didn't share the same vibes, they get me out of the overall atmosphere of the album. Plus, you could argue how they showcase that the production might not be that great by itself and it's mostly E-40 who carries the album. Not to forget the lyrics, I wouldn't be surprised if at this point he was close to creating his own language ("All about my fetti y'all One-time want to see me fall It's obvious I'm humongous Acres, cars and businesses"). How he fits all these crazy words both in terms of sound and in terms of meaning has always remained a mystery to me, calling it impressive would be an understatement. Length is only a minor issue, it was much more striking in My Ghetto Report Card.
Guerilla Maab - Rise does share some similarities with the above album. It's another album that comes dangerously close to being "one man show", but after all feels much more balanced. The production may appear "cheap"- especially some of the hooks are for lack of a better word highly questionable- and you' ll hardly find anything super exciting or groundbreaking, but it's obstinately honest, it doesn't pretend to be anything else, just a proud product of the South, something you can't help but at the very least respect - and if you have the slightest preference towards that kind of sound, you 'll find it irresistibly infectious. The difference between Z-Ro's and everyone else's rapping is not as striking as in the case of E-40, the high level of team chemistry more than makes up for any lack of individual quality (no one is even remotely close to bad, I would rate everyone as above average, but being compared to Z-Ro isn't gonna do you any favors) everyone has understood his role and sticks with his stengths contributing to the overall sound/atmosphere. Lyrics are one of the strongest points of the album, realistic, down to earth and relatable, once again everyone has a part (Z-Ro "Give me a pad and a pen, and I'll let the lesson begin The only way to survive my life is straight up livin' in sin Keep on gettin' in where you fittin' in, but in case you get stuck Better keep your piece off safety, you got these niggas fucked up No matter how many times I get on my knees and pray, it don't change Duckin' bullets, and the woman I love keep playing games with my brain", Taz "I wish I was the one with the top down In a chromed out Benz, with all my friends Bank account, with unlimited ends Gripping, I ain't sweating the rent The only problem is, I'm a FED fella With no intentions on, taking a loss And everytime I see the law, my heart pauses", Trae "It's forever, Guerilla until I die When I'm dead and gone, mama don't you cry I know, it's too much pain involved But you gotta be the one, to keep my alive They wanna see me leave, but they better believe I'm not going out, without a fight", Dougie D "Thank the Lord, for all my success Been struggling striving, trying to do my best No more canned sardine, just eight cuisines Its been a long run, running from the law Got a new pair, of shoes on feet And I owe it to the Southside, cause it's been lovely Everybody wanna run with me, and popping trunks all bubbly"). The length can seem intimidating at first, but I had no problem whatsoever, it's surprisingly consistent, it all flows extremely smoothly. In fact, I instantly replayed it once it was over, addicting stuff.
To sum it up, even though E-40 gives a performance for the ages, I clearly prefer Rise as an album.
Singles
Dr. Dre - Still D.R.E. (ft. Snoop Dogg)
Jay-Z Dre/Snoop doing their thing plus an iconic beat, it couldn't be anything short of great.
dead prez - Hip Hop
It's not like you haven't noticed it already , but this bassline is... yeah, I don't know, words can't do it justice. One of the best singles of the second round - and the whole tournament I guess.

RoundTheBend wrote:

I guess I care more about historical chains/cultural significance.

My thought process was kinda similar, the main reason I picked 2004 was to display what a year it was for UK hip hop and further down the road I decided to try and create a unifying theme for each of my teams.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/12/2021 08:51
  • Post subject:
Note to self: avoid nominating personal favourites.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/12/2021 12:13
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Note to self: avoid nominating personal favourites.

Yup the same thing happened to me in the songs tournament(s) haha. But I'd still rather hear someone's favourite (even if I end up voting against it) than the same ol' classics which I can find browsing RYM.

This matchup is really interesting. I'm yet to hear Guerilla Maab, but that E-40 album is pretty cool. Too long and not really my favourite, but a great, fun choice regardless. The singles for 1999 are straight fire, even better than the DOOM singles. And DOOM singles are all sorts of great. The other team is... predictably good. I'm probably gonna vote DOOM in the end, it has one of my all time favourites regardless of the genre (Madvillainy) and his best solo work as well, but the singles are definitely on Skinny's side. I guess it depends on Guerilla Maab album in the end, although it would have to be extraordinary to beat Madvillain.

So after additional listens:
I liked Charlie Hustle, but it's colossal and tiring to listen to the whole thing imo. I found more success when listening to it several songs at the time. Loved Skinny's review, it's quite possible that once you get over the length and immerse yourself in the (honestly quite genius) story, you "get it". Guerilla Maab was also pretty good, but the singles elevate this team to highs unseen (JK, but they're great). That being said, both Madvillainy and Mm... Food are better than either 1999 album, and the singles are pretty solid too, so that gets my vote.

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 02/17/2021 01:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 02/12/2021 18:27
  • Post subject:
The DOOM albums are masterpieces but as BEA's reigning two time competitive pokemon champion, monotype teams are lame
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/12/2021 20:00
  • Post subject:
PossiblyMichigan wrote:
The DOOM albums are masterpieces but as BEA's reigning two time competitive pokemon champion, monotype teams are lame

I like the idea a lot. Those two albums are obviously unimpeachable. Where it falls down for me is the singles - the VV song is very listenable, but not necessarily a standout, whilst that De La collab is nobody's best work (nor close to it). I like that kokkinos has put together two really cohesive teams, though. If I'd have known in advance that I'd be facing the wall of DOOM, so to speak, especially so soon after his death, I'd have probably picked albums that are more palatable, from more critically acclaimed strands of hip-hop, or at least more familiar. That said, these album picks are my absolute top two of 1999 in terms of personal enjoyment, having done a lot of relistening in preparation (and going cold on some very old favourites which have aged... questionably), and I'd put them on a par - at least - with the DOOM albums. I'm not surprised by the result, but it does mean (unless I claw this back, somehow) that in the next round I'll probably reach for picks that are more likely to be more widely appreciated, especially as 1993 has two huge fucking aces up its sleeve in the albums stakes that as a pair are practically unbeatable.

Anyway, tl;dr: I like kokkinos' team-building strategy, but I think the singles are (relatively) weak. However, I understand why people prefer those 2004 albums to mine, because they are both genius.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2021 06:27
  • Post subject:
I mean even with two fucking amazing masterpieces as albums in the same year, your team barely didn't make it by .25 points for me.

LOT of close games imo.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/13/2021 09:10
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I mean even with two fucking amazing masterpieces as albums in the same year, your team barely didn't make it by .25 points for me.

LOT of close games imo.

Haha, yeah I see what you're saying, but when I think about the things I'd like to pick next in an ideal world they are even further from acclaim than these two, which are at least cult classics in certain circles. If I had a tough time convincing people that these two are works of genius (when they are), the utopian next two will be pretty much impossible (even though they also are).
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/13/2021 10:45
  • Post subject:
By the way, our matchup has only 8 votes so far, while for example the other matchup of our group (1993/2017) already has 14. This means that our matchup is
a) so boring that no one cares to vote
or
b) too close to call and many people decided to abstain
Hopefully it's the second.
  • Visit poster's website