22%  [4]
Total Votes : 18

Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/06/2021 05:13
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Hayden wrote:

(I think this might be the gist for most users...)

What's weird is odd enough your stuff is higher quality. It's just it didn't get my jones' somehow.

Higher quality? Cestuneblague's got Passin' Me By and a whole ass Tribe album on the board. That's heavyweight stuff. There's a chance IAM might throw some people, but I'm still not sure if my team can overcome that 14+ years of airplay on a couple of classics. I'm happy with my team, and I think the overall team stacks up pretty well against '93, but that Pharcyde/Tribe combo Cestuneblague threw is pretty hard to vote against Laughing

If I factored out the fact I'm in the match, I'm not really sure how I'd swing. The teams weight out really even.

I'd rank the albums like this—

1. Midnight Marauders
2. Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
3. Due Rent
4. SlaughtaHouse

And the singles like this—

1. Passin' Me By = 1. Ain't It Funny (I can't pick, just can't)
2. Biking
3. Le dernier empereur

So... maybe I'd pick 2017 because it would literally boil down to the fact I prefer Biking to Le dernier empereur, but it's still a crazy thin decision.

(Fun fact, I set up both Passin' Me By and (a clean version of) Award Tour on my high school's PA system)
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2021 06:18
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Hayden wrote:

(I think this might be the gist for most users...)

What's weird is odd enough your stuff is higher quality. It's just it didn't get my jones' somehow.

Higher quality? Cestuneblague's got Passin' Me By and a whole ass Tribe album on the board. That's heavyweight stuff. There's a chance IAM might throw some people, but I'm still not sure if my team can overcome that 14+ years of airplay on a couple of classics. I'm happy with my team, and I think the overall team stacks up pretty well against '93, but that Pharcyde/Tribe combo Cestuneblague threw is pretty hard to vote against Laughing

If I factored out the fact I'm in the match, I'm not really sure how I'd swing. The teams weight out really even.

I'd rank the albums like this—

1. Midnight Marauders
2. Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
3. Due Rent
4. SlaughtaHouse

And the singles like this—

1. Passin' Me By = 1. Ain't It Funny (I can't pick, just can't)
2. Biking
3. Le dernier empereur

So... maybe I'd pick 2017 because it would literally boil down to the fact I prefer Biking to Le dernier empereur, but it's still a crazy thin decision.

(Fun fact, I set up both Passin' Me By and (a clean version of) Award Tour on my high school's PA system)

Oh sorry - I suppose I mean production quality/music quality. There's this jazzy cool vibe on your pics alongside modern production and I see jazz as a slightly higher quality art form than hip-hop (ok now I've just put myself in a grave with half of you if you didn't already think I was a dingus because all art is created equal along with participation trophies). That's all I mean.

I mean after I say that, I'm voting 1993 for sure Laughing .

Same reason why kale vs ice cream - ice cream wins every time. Higher quality [nutritional] value doesn't always win. That's probably a nicer way to say what I mean.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/06/2021 15:53
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Same reason why kale vs ice cream - ice cream wins every time. That's probably a nicer way to say what I mean.

#TeamKale17

#FreshBeets

#VegetableWraps

#17sofirethat93icecreammelts

Eat your vegetables kids *puts Open Mike Eagle on the record player*
  • Visit poster's website
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 02/06/2021 20:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

And I'm hoping PossiblyMichigan gets a slight kick out of my message I sent to him.

I did friend! I like getting your dms a lot because you're always delineating your thought processes and your predictions for what you're up against and you're always right or uncannily close.

Anyway contrary to almost all of the takes here. I'm leaning slightlyyyy towards '17. Midnight Marauders is truly one of the greatest records ever made and that pharcyde single is also just greatness (though not my favorite era of theirs). But while good, this isn't Masta Ace at peak form and I don't really like that IAM single.

17 on the other hand, you have Open Mike Eagle at his height and one of Danny Brown's greatest songs. You probably have Frank Ocean's greatest single, though I don't think it's that cut and dry Gabe. I generally think the solo single version of this is better, while this version has one of the first tyler features that doesn't just straight drag the quality of the song the solo version has this really nice skippy flow Frank does plus it doesn't have a minute of Jay-Z going look how cool my bike is which I feel drags it down (also the wordplay on chanel I think I generallyyyyy prefer).

Plus that lojii and swarvy record was a pleasant surprise. When listening to it my first impression was like ohhhh this feels like a sonic link between madlib and sLUms collective. But then I was like oh maybe I'm off base, these guys are both based in philly and slums are based in NYC and didnt really get super popular until after Earl dropped Some Rap Songs and Mike started releasing seminal mix tapes but lo and behold it turns out they're part of the collective. Which, I'm not sure if that means anything anymore, there's like 30 members and they're all in the same sonic world and they have so many affiliates that even I've gotten to mix for like a half a dozen of them.

But yeah good stuff. It's honestly still close. A relisten of the masta ace record (and maybe some context around it too) will be the decider

RoundTheBend wrote:

Same reason why kale vs ice cream - ice cream wins every time. Higher quality [nutritional] value doesn't always win. That's probably a nicer way to say what I mean.

I'm team kale. You gotta massage it with salt and olive oil and then let it wilt for 15 minutes to an hour before you make your salads
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2021 02:47
  • Post subject:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You are right - Kale is delish with some garlic/made right... actually even when it's made wrong. Brussels sprouts too.

My likeness idiocy abounds. But I suppose the analogy stands pending on how well you care for yourself. Or have the maturity of a toddler like myself.

But I'm super glad Hayden's response exists... best bit on BEA in a long time.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/07/2021 09:09
  • Post subject:
I have to admit I actually put together this team pretty hastily as I had the urgent warning from sr Nezzle about getting it in, and I forgot to include a Menace II Society connection that I wanted for every collection.

But anyways since I went out west last go-around with the albums I decided to take it back to NYC, though after using "Come Clean" previously I wanted a couple of albums that contrasted with the distinctly DITC or colder, more menacing sound that's often associated with mid-90s new york hip-hop. Midnight Marauders is an album that often gets left off a lot of all-timer lists in comparison to Low End Theory, despite how much it's loved among hardcore hip-hop heads and most music nerds of all strife, donno I guess "canon" obsession. I don't think it fits a more particular niche as their previous couple of albums but really just builds on both of them in a way that can both feel aggressive and yet chill, and this is where the band really started to feel incomparable. Kind of an album you just need to listen to than one that can be easily described with my favorite BAWP descriptors, so yeah. And Slaughtahouse seemed like an intresting choice for '93 specifically since at the time rap was not only expanding it's reach across the globe, but where there were more specific attempts at self-mythologizing and (more so in this case) self-analyzing. I think it's sometimes misinterpreted as a specifically anti-gangsta rap album, but more so it's kind of examining the cliques that were starting to pop up at the time and often playing them straight, than literalizing and showing outright what was often bragged about, and if it's taken with the intended pinch of salt or completely at face value it sounds great either way. It's not so much talking down to the genre as just turning different formulas inside and out and than back again, it may be less distinctly NYC than other Masta Ace albums which in may turn may not have some of the more expected latter-day charms of him, but it shows a different side of the younger genius at work and a fascinating contrast to the master storyteller and mood-setter of his early 2000s-era works. It's loose by design and very try-this here/try-that there, but I always think consistency especially in hip hop albums can be overrated and the whole is even greater than the sum of all it's indiviual moments. Underrated in the greater scheme of things, too.

With singles obviously "Passin' me by" doesn't need much introduction, it was a moment in time when hip-hop was calling back very specifically to the more romantic early-70s soul influences (Rock and CL Smooth's "Lot's of Lovin" is a good east-coast comparison) even if this definitely felt distinctly 90s sadboy in tone. One thing I loved about Bizzare Ride is how well all the rappers constantly played and bounced off each other but here they really get an individual moment to shine, but man What Up Fatlip he just always knows how to break your heart and really gives the perfect finishing touch. For the next I think the selection of Shurik'n for 98 kind of made this track feel obselete, as mainly I just really wanted to get at least some french hip hop into the tournament, but I think it's useful in the context of '93 as french hip-hop was really starting to mature and move past it's more blatant american influences. And since most of the hip hop was coming from the outskirts of Paris, IAM really put Marseilles on the map and started off France's own version of the east-west coast rivalry (but far less bloody), and they definitely had a more theatrical flair than the jazzier and more straight-talking hip hop that was going on up north, playing much heavier into thier north african influences and this particular track if a bit odd as an indiviual single probably one of the best representives of their early sound. Ill see if I can get a translation soon.

But no really strong matchup all around. I've surpsingly never really heard much Open Mike Eagle before so this was a good a time as any to start, and I just really love "Ain't it Funny" and "Passin' me By" going up side-by-side- two absolutely monster hip hop songs but for nearly polar opposite moods.

And I did think for a second about whipping out "Informer" just to see what would happen, but I came to my senses pretty quickly. Fun karaoke jam, though.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/07/2021 23:50
  • Post subject:
While I love Brick Body Kids as much as Midnight Marauders (or almost as much), that Masta Ace album is waaay better than Swarvy and Lojii's Due Rent. And I like that one quite a bit, I'm always up for some trippy Earl Sweatshirt worship and Lojii does that the best. It's just that... Masta Ace is so good. As for the singles, I like Passin' Me By about as much as Ain't It Funny, distant third is Bicycle and then IAM. Also, I'm sure I've already said it, but Ain't It Funny video is a goddamn masterpiece.

It's 1993 for me, despite both teams being very good. Sorry Hayden!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2021 21:02
  • Post subject:
Yeah this 1993 team would be tough for anyone to go up against. I gotta admit the IAM track is whatever, but everything else is elite. 2017 has great singles but the albums just cant compete with the 1993 selections imo.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 02/12/2021 22:57
  • Post subject:
Brick Body Kids Still Daydream is my favourite album in the whole of round 2, and Ain't It Funny is my favourite single in the whole of round 2 (both even over my own picks), so I'm bucking the trend here and voting 2017. Worth mentioning that the 1993 team is also great and I probably would have voted for it over most of the other teams this round.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/13/2021 15:51
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:
Brick Body Kids Still Daydream is my favourite album in the whole of round 2, and Ain't It Funny is my favourite single in the whole of round 2 (both even over my own picks), so I'm bucking the trend here and voting 2017. Worth mentioning that the 1993 team is also great and I probably would have voted for it over most of the other teams this round.

Appreciate it Purplepash. Hopefully a third vote comes through eventually Laughing

Good game Cestuneblague.
  • Visit poster's website