31%  [6]
Total Votes : 19

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2021 01:34
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
because R.A.P. Music still might be my favourite thing up there.

For real.

Excited to see how the rest of this stacks up.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/27/2021 19:58
  • Post subject:
Relistened to R.A.P. Music today for the first time in a long time, and parts of it are amazing. Other parts feel a bit too much like weird rap-rock crossovers sonically, and occasionally Mike leans into his weird 15-year-old false equivalency politics way too hard for my liking. If I had to rank, I feel like it's a 3.5/4 on a generous day.
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 01/30/2021 18:56
  • Post subject:
Unfortunately this is another deeply one sided matchup for me. I generally find myself enjoying the 2012 singles more but it's really close. But come on, as Keith always goes this team is pure heat. Bahamadia is one of the best to ever do it and a massive influence on so many greats to come (Jean, Noname) and the beats here straight from the minds of Gang Starr are as melancholic as this album is good. And Jugganots is just one of those classics that come out of nowhere. Stunning and unconventional channel mixing is a way to immediately grab my attention any time and it doesn't let go. Also this underground ethos that Keith keeps pulling from really makes me hope for a Tommy Wright III drop.

As for 2012 well....we got the pre RTJ outings from both members and while both stack up better than their combined efforts I just am bored. Cancer 4 Cure's some of the best solo music El-P ever made instrumentally but his flow feels now fully jacked from yer Aesop Rock types. Still, this one's grown on me as compared to R.A.P. Music which has completely fallen off. What in early high school felt like revolutionary politics now strikes as boring. Feels about as convincing as the white student communists in Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, and at least their false equivalency is the point of those moments.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2021 08:07
  • Post subject: Re: BYHH GW2: Group A - 1996 vs. 2012
1996 (captain: Streams) (9.5)
Bahamadia - Kollage (2.5)
Solid - could see growing harder or getting softer.
The Juggaknots - The Juggaknots (3)
Probs another favorite find from this tourney. The rapping and tracks are solid. Chill but hard. Great... probs favorite part is that while some of it is repetitive, it doesn't feel like it... feels very much alive. Then Funk on top of it... yes please.
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - Days of Our Livez (2) - I dig me some bone thugs, but this track I didn't
Richie Rich - Do G's Get to Go to Heaven? (2) - This kinda more R&B track didn't end up pulling me in past, yeah that's kinda good

vs.

2012 (captain: eyezayzay) (10.25)
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music (3)
El-P - Cancer 4 Cure (2.5)
I felt like this was an electronic album that happened to rap. BUT it is my favorite El-P album so far. But yeah... idk what to think about "hip-hop" that is actually closer to another genre, but happens to have rap in it (or so it feels to me). Interesting bridge at times for sure. It's stuff like this though that I think inspired more cross over and I guess I'm a classicist. Still good. Just a thought I had while listening.
Joey Bada$$ - Survival Tactics (ft. Capital STEEZ) (2.5)
ASAP Rocky - Goldie (2.25)

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/12/2021 02:29; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2021 04:01
  • Post subject:
Gotta say I'm baffled by the choice to pass up Tha Crossroads. Seems like an own goal for 96. Days Of Our Livez is really good, but Tha Crossroads is a classic.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2021 19:04
  • Post subject:
Kollage: 3.5/5
The Juggaknots: 4/5
Days Of Our Livez: 3.5/5
Do G's Get To Go To Heaven?: 3.5/5

1996 Total: 14.5/20

R.A.P. Music: 4/5
Cancer 4 Cure: 3/5
Survival Tactics: 4/5
Goldie: 3.5/5

2012 Total: 14.5/20

A tie, so my vote goes to 1996 for having better albums.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/07/2021 09:48
  • Post subject:
RAP Music is like the hip hop constrast of Joy as an act v ultra mono. I can find it exhilirating and cogent one track and completely unbearable and somewhat callow on the next. Wild feelings on that one. Cancer 4 cure is one I loved when it came out and still enjoy it quite a bit, like all EL-P's solo records the production greatly outweighs the rapping, but still incredibly handsome hip-hop for any mood. 96 is just too fucking good though, hits you right in that (somewhat abstract-but-not-really kind-of) feels.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/09/2021 15:48
  • Post subject:
Rap Music is the best thing here, but Juggaknots release was a very pleasant surprise. It's one of the best discoveries so far, I appreciate a short, dense and excellent album among the many 1+ hour releases we've had so far. Bahmadia is another very good discovery. At first I thought it was comfortably 4th best release here, but after additional listens and a relisten to Cancer 4 Cure I'm not so sure any more. In the end I'd go with

1. R.A.P. Music - Additional listen has only confirmed that it's one of the better 2010s rap albums
2. The Juggaknots - Wonderful discovery, very easy on the ear and thoroughly enjoyable
3.a Cancer 4 Cure - I may be underrating it a bit in terms of personal enjoyment, but it's the "worst" thing El-P has done in the last 10-15 years. And it's still very good.
3.b Kollage - Funky, groovy, again very easy on the ear and equally enjoyable on the first, second and third listen

Singles would be

1. Survival Tactics - I just love Joey Bada$$. He rarely misses and this one's fantastic, easily the best single of the bunch.
2. Do G's Get To Go To Heaven? - Smooth, easy on the ear, very much feels like it belongs in this team.
3. Goldie - I like both Rocky singles we've had so far, but I'm not too crazy about either. A fun track.
4. Days of Our Livez - A good single, but it's not Tha Crossroads. It leans heavily into 90s R&B sound/production which is absolutely not my favourite, but it doesn't sound nearly as dated or bad as something like Boyz II Men

There's nothing bad here, and even the "worst" thing is a pretty solid Bone Thugs single. 2012 is a better team and gets my vote.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 02/10/2021 23:31
  • Post subject:
i straight up don't have it in me to adequately illustrate just how good that '96 team is. I'm still trying to understand how Streams continues to make teams that seem pulled directly from my soul

I'll just deliver the possibly hot take that Kollage is as good as any Gang Starr album

anyway '96
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2021 22:11
  • Post subject:
'96 is clear, but the 2012 team is dope too
  • Visit poster's website