Favourite stand-up comedians?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/04/2021 21:39
  • Post subject: Favourite stand-up comedians?
Will probably come as no surprise that mine are Richard Pryor and Stewart Lee.

Who are yours? Please share clips.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2021 23:06
  • Post subject:
I recently had a PM conversation about this very subject, haha. I like Stewart Lee as well. His bit on Scooby Doo and the jungle canyon rope bridges is legendary! I've only heard one Pryor special and I found it a little underwhelming given the hype. The humor was one-dimensional, and felt overly long and repetitive from what I recall. It probably wasn't his best album/special, but I would like to explore more of his work. What albums/specials do you recommend?

Other comics I like include Patton Oswalt, Robin Williams, Lewis Black, Chris Rock, George Carlin (of course), and many more.

Lately I've been re-listening to Henry Phillips and starting to dig into Tom Papa's stand-up. Here's something you all might enjoy:

Link

JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 02/04/2021 23:35
  • Post subject:
I love Jeff Foxworthy. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/05/2021 03:21
  • Post subject:
I've been a big fan of Russell Howard's manic absurdity as of late.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/05/2021 08:39
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I recently had a PM conversation about this very subject, haha. I like Stewart Lee as well. His bit on Scooby Doo and the jungle canyon rope bridges is legendary! I've only heard one Pryor special and I found it a little underwhelming given the hype. The humor was one-dimensional, and felt overly long and repetitive from what I recall. It probably wasn't his best album/special, but I would like to explore more of his work. What albums/specials do you recommend?

Other comics I like include Patton Oswalt, Robin Williams, Lewis Black, Chris Rock, George Carlin (of course), and many more.

Lately I've been re-listening to Henry Phillips and starting to dig into Tom Papa's stand-up. Here's something you all might enjoy:

Link

A couple of favourites:

Link

Link

CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2021 09:52
  • Post subject:
I think you read my post too fast. I was asking which Richard Pryor albums/specials do you recommend?

I am a Stewart Lee fan, 41st best comedian ever Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/05/2021 10:29
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I think you read my post too fast. I was asking which Richard Pryor albums/specials do you recommend?

I am a Stewart Lee fan, 41st best comedian ever Laughing

Haha, sorry. Yeah, Live in Concert and Live on the Sunset Strip are genius.
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 02/05/2021 20:14
  • Post subject:
Lots of my favorites already been mentioned here. 'Specially Pryor, Carlin, Lee. Mitch Hedberg too is the obvious. Also I'm a big fan of longmont potion castle who really mined reverb, delay and vocoders as elements of comedy. Mulaney's still a really solid bet but I found myself not loving Kid Gorgeous, awkward stage work (seems to have reached the point where stage presence is hard to maintain in such a large venue). Tig Notaro I've always felt is underrated, had her moment in the sun after a spectacular set exploring cancer and tragedy but it seemed to disappear a bit as she chased acting aspirations.

As the resident DIY rat here I'd love to shoutout Sarah Squirm. Just the grossest fucking performance comedian around right now. She was integral to Chicago DIY putting on these shows called helltrap nightmare which would pair stand up comics with noise musicians (an utterly brilliant combination in hindsight considering how much inherently funny live noise sets exist). Now she's moved to LA after getting picked up on some Adult Swim programs (done a few late night infomercials, writes and tours with Eric Andre) but helltrap nightmare still exists and she's still performing with these insanely detailed prosthetic zits that like ooze blood and pus and all sorts of shit as she goes on these absolutely fucking unhinged rants. It's the greatest thing.

Rachel Sennot is great. Really good probably the best "I'm an influencer" comedy around. Been a fan of her since basement shows in NYC and she's been keeping up the bit so long she's actually becoming one (she won some awards at sundance for shiva baby).

I'm a huge fan of Orin/Magi Calcagne. He's got this physical approach to standup that tackles gender identity and consent in this wonderfully uncomfortable in your face way and just has these chilling screams that are summoned from the pits of hell and come out of nowhere in the midst of these dry spiels.
Link

Alan Resnick from Wham City (dan deacon's baltimore art collective) is probably more a comedic short creator at this point but his standup has always been great and has this constant alternate reality mystified by computers and AI and gentrification kind of vibe that's out there and always worth checking out.

Then there's Patti Harrison, Ayo Edebiri, Mitra Jouhari and Kate Berlant (who's in Boots Riley's brilliant sorry to bother you) who are all worth talking about but this is going on long enough.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/05/2021 23:13
  • Post subject:
Some great stuff here. Wanna throw in Daniel Kitson, a true master of structure.

Link

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/05/2021 23:26
  • Post subject:
Oh, and this one:

Link