2021 Films

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2021 12:09
  • Post subject: 2021 Films
I know that most of us still need to catch up on films technically released in 2020 (I know I still need to see Saint Maud, Minari, and Nomadland before I finish up my list, and by then I will have probably met my goal of seeing 123 new releases this year :p)

BUT

It seems like that, between a more accessible Sundance this year and a few movies debuting on streaming services and already making buzz, there are already a few movies that I CAN’T classify as 2020 anymore, including,
*Malcolm & Marie
*Framing Britney Spears
Annnddddd
*Attack of the Giant Blurry Finger

All three of these, along with some stuff on YouTube that is in the form of a feature but isn’t on Letterboxd, are “movies” I really liked, and I’m hoping this weekend’s Judas & the Black Messiah joins them on HBO.

Have y’all seen any 2021 movies yet? What are y’all’s thoughts on them?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/12/2021 22:29
  • Post subject:
Between Malcolm & Marie, Locked Down and Earwig and The Witch, my 2021 average score is an astounding 1/5 Laughing (the later two being some of the worst films I've ever seen period).

(to be fair, The Dig bumps it up a little).

Looking forward to watching Judas And The Black Messiah tonight.

Here's my watchlist for the year.
  • Visit poster's website
Streams

• Posted: 02/12/2021 22:44
  • Post subject:
Pleb-taste, but I'm really looking forward to The Matrix, Dune, Mortal Kombat, and the MCU starting back up. Seen The Little Things; was decent and would probably be considered a classic if released a couple decades ago, but feels unsurprising (though somewhat surprised a movie about cops as protagonists killing innocents was given the OK). Been meaning to see Pieces of a Woman.
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 02/13/2021 21:17
  • Post subject:
there's only one 2021 film that matters Cool

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/13/2021 21:48
  • Post subject:
I highly recommend King Rocker, a feature-length documentary by Michael Cumming (a British comedy legend, director of Brass Eye and Toast of London, among others things) and comedian Stewart Lee, about Robert Lloyd, the heroically unsuccessful lead singer of Birmingham punk band The Prefects and post-punk band The Nightingales, with an intertwining subplot about a bizarre piece of public sculpture that briefly stood in Birmingham city centre in the mid-1970s. It is a joyful, touching, hilarious piece of filmmaking with a number of delightful (minor) celebrity cameos, deliberately unreliable narration, and a stubborn refusal to abide by normal rockumentary tropes. It's somewhat amateurish (like its subjects), but it is an obvious labour of love.
KitchenSink

• Posted: 02/14/2021 01:40
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I highly recommend King Rocker, a feature-length documentary by Michael Cumming (a British comedy legend, director of Brass Eye and Toast of London, among others things) and comedian Stewart Lee, about Robert Lloyd, the heroically unsuccessful lead singer of Birmingham punk band The Prefects and post-punk band The Nightingales, with an intertwining subplot about a bizarre piece of public sculpture that briefly stood in Birmingham city centre in the mid-1970s. It is a joyful, touching, hilarious piece of filmmaking with a number of delightful (minor) celebrity cameos, deliberately unreliable narration, and a stubborn refusal to abide by normal rockumentary tropes. It's somewhat amateurish (like its subjects), but it is an obvious labour of love.

this sounds extremely up my alley, will give it a watch for sure ty
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2021 04:40
  • Post subject:
This extended awards season is messing with my technical dates for films that are getting wide releases right now. I watched a screening of Our Friend on Thursday and am not certain whether it got in for for 2020 or if it's officially a 2021 release (given that IMDb and Letterboxd list it as 2019 for its TIFF screening), but highly recommend it either way. Also recommend Judas and the Black Messiah, and The Mauritanian was pretty solid - good to see Jodie Foster back on screen and in her usual strong form.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/14/2021 13:52
  • Post subject:
The Dig was solid. Nothing Earth-shattering, but 2 very good performances and a compelling feelgood story, if that's up your alley give it a try. Also it's interesting that archaeology is the focus of the movie (more or less), unlike Indiana Jones-type action. Looks very nice too, setting is fantastic and the colours are so soothing.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2021 05:33
  • Post subject:

Link

Never go full retard.

(I was reading about this a few weeks ago, and I'm absolutely shocked that it was made and released. What in the world were they thinking?)
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2021 06:05
  • Post subject:
I don’t know if I can get on board with you using that word Bro, but I agree that it’s egregious how we can’t have Tropic Thunder 2 exist when so the very things it satirizes can be so nakedly exploited without studio people thinking twice.
  • Visit poster's website