2021 Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 12/01/2021 08:20
  • Post subject:
Now that FilmSpeak have begun the process of compiling the top 10 films of the year from their staff, last night I began my December marathon of catching up on missed films from earlier in the year AND December releases. From 6 PM yesterday to when my Ghostbusters screening ended around midnight tonight, I watched 9 films. I've made a list of 64 movies that I intend to get through by Christmas, and am now down to 55. Not a bad start.

King Richard is a masterpiece, by the way. I can't remember the last time a movie made me feel deep emotions all the way through. Happy, sad, incensed, anxious, everything in between.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/01/2021 16:29
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
Now that FilmSpeak have begun the process of compiling the top 10 films of the year from their staff, last night I began my December marathon of catching up on missed films from earlier in the year AND December releases. From 6 PM yesterday to when my Ghostbusters screening ended around midnight tonight, I watched 9 films. I've made a list of 64 movies that I intend to get through by Christmas, and am now down to 55. Not a bad start.

King Richard is a masterpiece, by the way. I can't remember the last time a movie made me feel deep emotions all the way through. Happy, sad, incensed, anxious, everything in between.

Yeah, my watchlist is a stack, and I'm way behind. Been busy. I'm also not going to the cinema right now, so it's... frustrating.

There's at least 15 titles I'm eagerly anticipating, but the one rising in the ranks the most is C'mon C'mon. Looks fantastic. Same with MacBeth. One of the biggest years for mainstream b/w I can remember. Licorice Pizza is also up there, but I still can't get around the title. Really don't dig it. Still haven't seen The French Dispatch either... Anxious It'll be the first Wes film I haven't seen in cinemas since Darjeeling (which, I mean, came out at a time I wasn't even allowed in).

My top 10 of the year as of now—
1. Luca
2. Spencer
3. The Card Counter
4. Limbo (Sharrock)
5. Coda
5. Ang Hupa
6. Cruella
7. Petite Maman
8. Titane
9. Judas And the Black Messiah
10. Last Night In Soho

or something like that. Maybe swap 8&9.

Passing, Nitram, and Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy are all around there too.

Last edited by Hayden on 12/01/2021 22:08; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 12/01/2021 20:58
  • Post subject:
C'mon C'mon was one of the films I saw yesterday and it was beautiful. Really heartfelt, really sincere, Joaquin was great but that kid is something of a revelation.

So is Jude Hill, for that matter. Belfast was great.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/01/2021 22:19
  • Post subject:
C'mon C'mon was one of the films I saw yesterday and it was beautiful. Really heartfelt, really sincere, Joaquin was great but that kid is something of a revelation.

So is Jude Hill, for that matter. Belfast was great.

Great to hear. Looking forward to both Smile (hows the score for C'mon C'mon? can you tell it's the National, or is it slightly generic?). The gist I'm getting from Belfast is that it's Roma-esque. I haven't been super hot on the TIFF winners the past handful of years, and I've yet to see a film directed by Branagh I thought was anything but awful, but hopefully this turns it around.

But yeah, there's 8 or 9 major b/w films this year? Not to mention everything under the radar. I think 3 could even be up for BP. Wonder if it was just because of the tone of the world right now.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 12/02/2021 06:23
  • Post subject:
To be honest, I didn't know the score was done by The National until now, but it definitely tracks.

And I'd say that Belfast is by FAR the best movie Branagh has directed except for Henry V and Hamlet.

As it currently stands, my top 10 are:

10: Zola
9: The Beta Test
8: Pig
7: Bo Burnham Inside
6: Oscar Peterson: Black and White
5: King Richard
4: Titane
3: Malcolm & Marie
2: No Time to Die
1: Dune
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2021 07:27
  • Post subject:
Movies I really liked - The Card Counter, The Last Duel
Other movies I liked - Zola, Malcolm and Marie, Pig, Luca, King Richard, Free Guy
Movies I was indifferent towards - too many to name
Movies I didn't like - Quite a few, but certainly Dune and Black Widow (well, and Space Jam 2)

I'm getting a lot more enjoyment from other watchlists but I'm recently making more effort chipping away at the 2021 watchlist, hoping the year can end on a high note.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2021 00:03
  • Post subject:
To be honest, I didn't know the score was done by The National until now, but it definitely tracks.

And I'd say that Belfast is by FAR the best movie Branagh has directed except for Henry V and Hamlet.

I should get around to Belfast next week. It's first or second in the queue (with King Richard). Also, I saw your review of The Humans Laughing I... agree.

Watched Drive My Car yesterday. Hamaguchi's on quite the roll. It's a solid work, and I hope people give it a shot. It's... long... but once you're engrossed in it the film goes by fast. Last third in particular flies by. It's an excellent emotional web to get stuck in. Probably the first 'COVID' scene that didn't bug me.

I don't know if I prefer it to Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy, but both are staples of the year for me. Dude has a nice style. Raw, human, slow, almost documentary-like, but it's super crisp and spacious, and there's surprisingly little fat because of that. You can tell he's a great fit in the director's chair. It's like Hong Sang Soo took two notches towards Hollywood.

Also, there's a film I almost skipped called Together Together than came out closer to the beginning of the year. It's a light-ish comedic-ish film about surrogacy. Glad I gave it a go, it's a fav of the year.

(Sorry, this is lazily written, I'm tired, I'll probably edit it later).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2021 20:15
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
4. Limbo (Sharrock)

Sonny or Linda?
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2021 21:56
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Sonny or Linda?

Ben Sharrock is the director, there's a Hong Kong produced film that came out this year which is also called Limbo, so presumably Hayden is just clarifying.

Well I watched my 10th movie of the year this weekend, so here goes my list:

1. Bo Burnham: Inside
2. Judas and the Black Messiah
3. Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
4. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
5. The Power of the Dog
6. No Time to Die
7. Passing
8. Tick, tick... BOOM!
9. In the Heights
10. Black Widow

Haven't watched yet but have plans to watch:
- West Side Story
- Eternals

Don't have plans but would like to see if I'm able:
- Dune
- Licorice Pizza
- Don't Look Up
- The Green Knight
- The French Dispatch
- Drive My Car
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2021 03:17
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Ben Sharrock is the director, there's a Hong Kong produced film that came out this year which is also called Limbo, so presumably Hayden is just clarifying.

Joking. Though I did have a split second of dissonance because Sonny Sharrock's in Summer of Soul.
  • Visit poster's website