Reconsideration Of Lock

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2021 22:27
  • Post subject: Reconsideration Of Lock
I went to post about Mary Wilson and saw that the remembrance thread has been locked with the goal of people starting individual threads for each artist who passes. Can that decision please be reconsidered?

I believe it's going to decrease the amount of discussion and recognition that happens when musicians pass away, especially those who are lesser known and those who fewer people have strong feelings about. One thread also provides a way to see all the discussion together, whereas individual threads will get buried pretty quickly.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/09/2021 22:46
  • Post subject:
Seconded.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2021 22:46
  • Post subject:
Really? That is absolutely bonkers. Didn’t notice but yeah why the hell would that thread by locked due to one person? Wasn’t even a controversial thread at all.

Edit: my post seemed more annoyed than I am. Just very surprised. Thirded.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/09/2021 23:53
  • Post subject: Re: Reconsideration Of Lock
baystateoftheart wrote:
I went to post about Mary Wilson and saw that the remembrance thread has been locked with the goal of people starting individual threads for each artist who passes. Can that decision please be reconsidered?

Weird call. Figured it'd be much tidier in a single thread.

I'd opt it's unlocked and repinned.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/10/2021 00:23
baystateoftheart wrote:

I believe it's going to decrease the amount of discussion and recognition that happens when musicians pass away, especially those who are lesser known and those who fewer people have strong feelings about. One thread also provides a way to see all the discussion together, whereas individual threads will get buried pretty quickly.

I agree.

I personally believe this is a very bad moderation call because of one dramatic incident. We should not be shutting down discussion on people who have passed because someone feels entitled that the thread isnt "good enough" for one musician marginalized or otherwise. I also believe it should be moved to Lounge, as we talk about actors as well as musicians in the thread.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2021 00:26
  • Post subject:
The decision was made to lock the thread and to instead encourage people to make individual threads in tribute to the person who died

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2021 00:34
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
The decision was made to lock the thread and to instead encourage people to make individual threads in tribute to the person who died

That is understood. Can that decision be reconsidered and changed? It’s unlikely an artist like idk Sylvain Sylvain (only mention him cuz I posted about his passing) will get a mention with its own thread. However major icons such as SOPHIE, Prince, MF DOOM, etc will likely get their own threads now that it has been pointed out that that is a good idea. Not sure if applerill ever did make that thread for SOPHIE, but that would have been the correct move while keeping the general thread up to remember major and minor deaths/losses in the broader music community.

Also yeah going to the lounge makes total sense.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/10/2021 00:48
  • Post subject:
The idea is bizzare to me, because we don't have a community where we have large amounts of threads about artists. We don't have a general Beatles discussion thread, what makes you think we have a MF Doom one or let alone people are gonna sustain posting in it? It makes ZERO sense.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2021 02:13
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
The idea is bizzare to me, because we don't have a community where we have large amounts of threads about artists. We don't have a general Beatles discussion thread, what makes you think we have a MF Doom one or let alone people are gonna sustain posting in it? It makes ZERO sense.

In the remembrance thread, it seems even the big names get maybe a page, MAYBE two...then someone else dies and the thread is done with the big name.

If someone gets barely a mention in their own thread, then it shows how much we think of that person. And realize that right now, it takes 3 days to get bumped off of page one. 11 days to get bumped off of page two. It's up to us how much these people get talked about when they pass. Having it all in one place makes it easier to pass over those we wish to pass over. But in the end...these people are most likely going to be talked about when they die here the same if it's one thread or multiples.

Unless that artist means a LOT to you...then you'll probably do more to keep it current if they have their own thread.

I believe seperate threads give more of an opportunity to show what that artist meant to you. Because the all in one thread had really not much of an attention span.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2021 02:20
baystateoftheart wrote:

Was Mary Wilson important enough to you to start a new thread about her passing? Was she important enough to you to keep that thread going? It appears that you may have felt it to be more important that the remembrance thread was locked than it was to actually make a post about Mary Wilson.

In other words...would you have just posted that she died and left it at that in that thread, or would you have made it more honorable by using the thread you started as a point of discussion about her career and what she meant to you as an artist, and then kept it going by posting more thoughts about her?

It's easy to just go to that thread and say, "Mary Wilson died. She was great." Post a video and be done with it.

We can certainly do better.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website