Metal albums... how did you get into them?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Xavygravy

• Posted: 11/15/2011 06:54
  • Post subject: Metal albums... how did you get into them?
Today I listened to about half of "Master of Puppets" (the first metal album I've tried listening to), before I gave up. The only parts I really liked were those parts with the acoustic guitars, like at the start of the opening track.

I feel metal music in general just lack melody, which is one of the most essential elements of music imo. The closest thing I like to metal is the 'metal-pop' of Maladroit (has melody).

But I don't want give up on a genre completely, as the best taste in music is being able to like all types of music.

So... how did you get into metal? What are your thoughts on metal? What do you see in metal that accounts for the absence of melody? How can I get into metal?

Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
jbarajas

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2011 06:58
  • Post subject:
same here... can't get into the thrash, hardcore stuff like grindcore, death metal. How does one start without being completely polarized by it. Think
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2011 07:06
  • Post subject:
It's not really that metal lacks melody, it's that it uses that melody for a different purpose than most music does. I got into metal when I was 15; if there were two albums I'd recommend starting with it would be Rust in Peace by Megadeth and The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden. They're exciting and aggressive enough to lure you in without totally turning you away, and hopefully after you get a small taste you'll be more able to move on to the harder stuff.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 11/15/2011 07:10
  • Post subject:
I'm not a metal-head, so perhaps my favorite 'metal' albums will help ease you into the genre (not much thrash in me though)...
White Zombie-AstroCreep 2000
Refused- The Shape of Punk to Come
Tool-Aenima

• Posted: 11/15/2011 07:42
  • Post subject:
Guitar Hero >_<
weedygonsalez

• Posted: 11/15/2011 07:48
  • Post subject:
I've found sludge/stoner rock to be a good gateway into heavier sounds. It usually relies much more heavily on melody and effects similar to shoegaze than more genre-bound stuff like screams, groans, double-bass, and static guitars.

A few suggestions:

*Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age - super entry level, much closer to rock than metal, but still very heavy and very good bands. Other Josh Homme projects could go here too (Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal). These bands are super-melodic and rhythmic in a fairly straightforward way, I would definitely check them out.
*Harvey Milk - their earlier stuff leaned more experimental, but their albums since Special Wishes onward are more accessible and melodic. One caveat: their singer is a heavy groaner. I got used to it pretty quickly though, with all the other great stuff going on in their music. Check out Special Wishes or Life... The Best Game in Town first.
*Boris - my personal favorite metal band, though much of their discography is split between straightforward stoner, sound experiments, and drone. Good albums that veer towards melodic, heavy rock are, uh, Heavy Rocks and Akuma No Uta.

Speaking of Drone, that's also a good gateway into the heavier stuff, though from a glance it sacrifices most semblance of a melody in favor of atmosphere. It's the polar opposite of grindcore and all those fast motherfuckers: it intentionally goes at a glacial pace to build tension and explore the nuances of each sound. Gateway bands in drone are Sunn O))), Boris (Feedbacker, Flood, and Absolutego are the go-to albums here), and Earth.

When you start to blur the lines between drone and stoner, you get doom metal, which often has the steady, slow buildup of drum with the more straightforward instrumentation of stoner. Off the top of my head, a good doom band to check out would be Khanate, though their vocalist's sinister whispery-style can be off-putting to a newbie.

Lastly, listen to Baroness. They're a fairly new band that doesn't sacrifice anything for melody, though it certainly builds around it with plenty of other interesting things too. Check out the Red Album or the Blue Album.

Everything I said above is pretty advanced, though (with the exception of Kyuss, QotSA and the other Josh Homme projects, definitely check those out). For a simpler gateway into metal, it's best to go with the heavy metal classics. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Queensryche, Mastodon, Motorhead, and lastly, Slayer.

Hope this helps.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 11/15/2011 08:13
  • Post subject:
Thanks heaps for the suggestions everyone! weedygonsalez especially! Applause

Since jumping straight into metal probably won't do it for me, I'll just try starting with the heavy rock/metal stuff, like Queens of the Stone Age, and work my way from there.

Also, you should get an forum avatar weedy
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 11/15/2011 13:12
  • Post subject:
you should listen to the other side of master of puppets. It is hard to believe a person could not like that album

i suggest listening to pantera-the great southern trendkill then the 2 that came out before it also.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2011 13:29
  • Post subject:
Yeah, have you tried to get into any of Sabbath's albums, Xavy? I would highly suggest their debut or Paranoid. They're full of great Ozzy-written melodies.

weedygonsalez wrote:
I've found sludge/stoner rock to be a good gateway into heavier sounds. It usually relies much more heavily on melody and effects similar to shoegaze than more genre-bound stuff like screams, groans, double-bass, and static guitars.

A few suggestions:

*Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age - super entry level, much closer to rock than metal, but still very heavy and very good bands. Other Josh Homme projects could go here too (Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal). These bands are super-melodic and rhythmic in a fairly straightforward way, I would definitely check them out.
*Harvey Milk - their earlier stuff leaned more experimental, but their albums since Special Wishes onward are more accessible and melodic. One caveat: their singer is a heavy groaner. I got used to it pretty quickly though, with all the other great stuff going on in their music. Check out Special Wishes or Life... The Best Game in Town first.
*Boris - my personal favorite metal band, though much of their discography is split between straightforward stoner, sound experiments, and drone. Good albums that veer towards melodic, heavy rock are, uh, Heavy Rocks and Akuma No Uta.

Speaking of Drone, that's also a good gateway into the heavier stuff, though from a glance it sacrifices most semblance of a melody in favor of atmosphere. It's the polar opposite of grindcore and all those fast motherfuckers: it intentionally goes at a glacial pace to build tension and explore the nuances of each sound. Gateway bands in drone are Sunn O))), Boris (Feedbacker, Flood, and Absolutego are the go-to albums here), and Earth.

When you start to blur the lines between drone and stoner, you get doom metal, which often has the steady, slow buildup of drum with the more straightforward instrumentation of stoner. Off the top of my head, a good doom band to check out would be Khanate, though their vocalist's sinister whispery-style can be off-putting to a newbie.

Lastly, listen to Baroness. They're a fairly new band that doesn't sacrifice anything for melody, though it certainly builds around it with plenty of other interesting things too. Check out the Red Album or the Blue Album.

Everything I said above is pretty advanced, though (with the exception of Kyuss, QotSA and the other Josh Homme projects, definitely check those out). For a simpler gateway into metal, it's best to go with the heavy metal classics. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Queensryche, Mastodon, Motorhead, and lastly, Slayer.

Hope this helps.

Do you listen to Electric Wizard, Weedy? If not, you should definitely check them out. With the possible exception of Burning Witch, these guys are "the heaviest metal band in the universe".
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 11/15/2011 14:02
  • Post subject:
I love metal, but not everyone is going to like it.

I mean, I don't think that you can MAKE yourself like metal or any other genre for that matter.

"METAL" covers a very wide range of music.

If you enlarge this you will see what I mean.

Personally I like, and have followed a path of great interest in chronological order

Early metal
Power metal
New wave of British heavy metal
thrash
Nu metal.

All I can say is

THERE IS A SHITLOAD OF METAL VIDEOS IN THE BEA FORUM

I started a thread called Hard rock/metal videos which has over 200 videos on it.

Arrow http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=1269

I started the Black Sabbath thread which has numerous Sabbath videos on it.

Arrow http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=1890

And, the one you really should check out first

My Iron Maiden appreciation thread Very Happy

Arrow http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...php?t=1734

Trust me Xavygravy, I've been listening to metal since the 70's and I guarantee you that the best metal band ever is Iron Maiden. They reside alone at the pinnacle of the metal world.

The Number of the Beast

Link

Iron Maiden's music has as much melody as ANY kind of music out there Not talking

Once you get used to the power, speed, and intensity of metal.

You won't just "want" to listen to metal

YOU WILL NEED 2

IMO metal fans are the best and most dedicated of any genre of music.

Check out this crowd. FYI the lead singer/guitar player (Dave Mustaine) used to be in Metallica

Link

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website