75%  [12]
25%
 25%  [4]
Total Votes : 16

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/24/2021 22:14
  • Post subject: BYHH GW3: Group D - 1995 vs. 2000
Please listen to all of the selections before voting.

1995 (captain: Mercury)

Albums:

GZA - Liquid Swords [link]

Goodie Mob - Soul Food [link]

Singles:

Link

Luniz - I Got 5 On It

Link

The Coup - Fat Cats, Bigga Fish

vs.

2000 (captain: Repo)

Albums:

Kool Keith - Matthew [link]

Kid Koala - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome [link]

Singles:

Link

Black Rob - Woah

Link

De La Soul - All Good? (ft. Chaka Khan)

Please use the thread to discuss the selections and inform everybody of your voting intentions. A poll will be added at a later date in order to tally votes, once everybody has had the opportunity to listen to all of the selections. If there are specific links to the albums or singles you have nominated (on Youtube, Spotify, etc.) that you would prefer voters to listen to, please post them in this thread.

Last edited by Skinny on 03/16/2021 20:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/24/2021 22:30
  • Post subject:
Well, that's an excuse to finally get on Soul Food (I don't think I've ever even heard a Goodie Mob song! Yikes). Seen it around forever and never bothered hitting play.

Pretty unfamiliar with the singles too. Going to go back-to-back on them all now (starting with Whoa).

Gotta say though... Liquid Swords could face Matthew and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome alone and come out on top. If Soul Food is okay as worst, I think '95s got an easy edge on the album selection here.

EDIT: Ooooh. The De La single is solid.

Second EDIT: Really dug the Coup song too (might give it some extra points for that video...)

Last edited by Hayden on 02/24/2021 23:45; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/24/2021 22:44
  • Post subject:
'All Good?' is my favourite single of this entire round (besides my two and maybe 'I Ain't Mad At Cha'), which is crazy considering it was a last minute swap-in. However, I fucking hate turntablism albums, and that '95 team is mad consistent. Leaning 1995, but I need to listen to Matthew.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2021 00:13
  • Post subject: Re: BYHH GW3: Group D - 1995 vs. 2000
Skinny wrote:

Kool Keith - Matthew [link]

The finger in the butt that hip hop needed!

Massively underrated. I haven't been able to get enough of this album over the last couple of weeks.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/25/2021 14:12
  • Post subject:
I'm glad I haven't gone with Kool Keith this round, a double dose of his manic personality is enough for one round Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/25/2021 20:49
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Leaning 1995, but I need to listen to Matthew.

I might be wrong, but I'm not entirely seeing it being your thing. For some reason people pluck it out of his discography as an underappreciated standout, but I've always thought it was... ok-ish? Maybe I'm missing something too, who knows. I never felt it had any solid groove/rhythm.

I'm about halfway through Soul Food. Despite '05's solid singles, '95 will get an easy vote from me. The albums aren't close.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/25/2021 21:03
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I might be wrong, but I'm not entirely seeing it being your thing. For some reason people pluck it out of his discography as an underappreciated standout, but I've always thought it was... ok-ish? Maybe I'm missing something too, who knows. I never felt it had any solid groove/rhythm.

I'm about halfway through Soul Food. Despite '00's solid singles, '95 will get an easy vote from me. The albums aren't close.

That's the thing here for me. If 1995 had come with some weak singles, I could probably see my love of the 2000 singles picks - particularly the aforementioned 'All Good?', though if Repo had gone for 'Oooh', the Redman collaboration from the same album, I'd have loved it just as much; that Art Official Intelligence era of De La Soul is sorely underappreciated - cancelling out my respect for the 1995 albums picks, but those '95 singles are butter as well. 'I Got 5 On It' is genius, whilst I've always harboured a massive soft spot for The Coup, not only because of their left-wing leanings but also because Boots is just smooth as fuck. (Interesting that both these singles have links to the new wave of forward-thinking Black film directors, what with Riley directing Sorry to Bother You and the 'I Got 5 On It' keyboard riff acting as a repeated motif throughout the soundtrack to Jordan Peele's Us, rendering the beat in an ominous, sinister light which I'd never considered before but now cannot unhear.)

As for Matthew, you're almost certainly right. I've never come across a Kool Keith album yet that didn't annoy me, to be honest, even though - as stated elsewhere - I'm really glad that somebody that weird has been able to have as much success as he has, proof if needed that hip-hop is indeed a broad church.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2021 02:43
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Hayden wrote:

As for Matthew, you're almost certainly right. I've never come across a Kool Keith album yet that didn't annoy me, to be honest, even though - as stated elsewhere - I'm really glad that somebody that weird has been able to have as much success as he has, proof if needed that hip-hop is indeed a broad church.

"If you don't bake it right the first time... just get MORE baked!" Motherfuckers! Baddest M.C.!

Get HIGH! Get KEITH! Get HIGH! Get kEitH! Get HiGH!
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2021 03:30
  • Post subject:
This was my second time listening to Soul Food, and for the second time I was underwhelmed. I love the performances, the rapping is all on point and the lyrics are great, but the beats are so lackluster which really drags it down. Luckily 1995 also has Liquid Swords, which was my favorite solo Wu until last week when I decided Fishscale is better. It also has two great singles, with that Coup single being my favorite in this match. The video is terrific.

I'm...much less enthusiastic about the 2000 team. I read Skinny's tantalizing write-up on Slikk the Shocker right before listening to Matthew and couldn't help but realize how Kool Keith doesn't care about the beat at all, he just slides right over it. I like him overall, but that does make it difficult to listen to him for long periods. I'll talk more about his lyrics when I get to Dr Octagon but the lyrics on this one did very little for me. I've never heard him this angry, and I can't help but feel that given his body of work it's all a bit tongue in cheek? I know it's supposed to be funny but "I Don't Believe You" was really the only track I found funny. As for Kid Koala....yeah not my thing. I like the De La single a lot but unfortunately that's really the only highlight of the 2000 team for me, so going with 1995.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2021 04:36
  • Post subject:
no one understands me. Not talking

ps. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is easily a better instrumental hip hop album than the new Madlib LP! Easy! And I love Madlib.
  • Visit poster's website