Best Films of 2020 [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/02/2021 03:27
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I saw The Painter and the Thief today and slid it onto my list at #35, bumping everything beneath down a spot. Probably won't make a big difference but worth mentioning.

Updated Smile

(and I'll give Beanpole pretty good odds on making the list).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2021 04:10
  • Post subject:
Hey Hayden,

Could you add Zappa to my list at #21 (obviously bump everything below it down one) and What She Said: the Art of Pauline Kael at #40?

Thanks.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/02/2021 04:20
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Hey Hayden,

Could you add Zappa to my list at #21 (obviously bump everything below it down one) and What She Said: the Art of Pauline Kael at #40?

Thanks.

Will do, all good Smile
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/02/2021 04:40
  • Post subject:
Female Performances:

1. Maria Bakalova
2. Jesse Buckley
3. Frances McDormand
4. Elisabeth Moss (The Invisible Man)
5. Radha Blank (40-Year-Old Version)

Male Performances:

1. Hugh Jackman (Bad Education)
2. Sacha Baron Cohen (Trial of the Chicago 7)
3. Gary Oldman
4. Riz Ahmed
5. Chadwick Boseman

Honestly don't remember Never, Rarely, Sometimes, Always enough to give the Sidney Flanigan a vote -- I'm sure she deserves it. Really wish I'd seen the The Father -- and not because of any fucking Oscars. Fortunately it and Hopkins will be eligible next year.
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 05/02/2021 07:25
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

I'm assuming you knew about these all beforehand, but did my rec post a few pages back help any? Anxious (I agree that those are all year best films).

I did knew all these, but I've heard Once Upon a Time in Venezuela first time in your recs and couldn't find it anywhere. Thx for sharing those films and hope people will follow your recs, they're all beautiful.
Quote:
I have never once seen a chicken tictactoe machine in all of cinema.
Sometimes films make words feel very silly. Everything here hits. The appointments, the phone calls, the people, the places, even just the little things like subway rides and karaoke booths. Harsh, genuine, a reminder to always fight against a system that isn't working. The use of transactions is devastating. The use of things left unsaid even more so.
Sidney Flanigan's performance is phenomenal — it'll be downplayed as understated, but there were times it felt colossal. To see someone so young and so tired will hopefully hit a few people over the head. Doesn't feel like a debut in the slightest. Didn't know what the title meant before going into it either, fantastic choice. The intrusiveness is ridiculous.
Mandatory, in a sense. There's this essentialness to it I haven't felt with a film released in quite some time. It's just something everyone should watch.

Your blurb is exactly on point. This was one of the best directing of this year/season and I like to think that's because it was so subtle and realistic, people looked away.
Hayden wrote:
Really wanted Flanigan to gain awards momentun. She deserved an Oscar nom. Twala also deserved an Oscar nom, but that wasn't going to happen....

In the beginning, I had hopes for her but she couldn't, I think she should've won. Twala was captivating, I wish these award ceremonies were more open to the international cinema beyond European.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/02/2021 14:02
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
LedZep wrote:
https://letterboxd.com/spooky_m/list/2020/

Dunno if I'll be in any sort of condition to watch another movie or two tomorrow, but still check the list before closing the poll Hayden.

LedZep, I can't access this Sad Is it published? All I can see are your 90s/00s/10s lists.

My bad d'oh! Should be all good now

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/02/2021 14:48
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Hayden wrote:
LedZep wrote:
https://letterboxd.com/spooky_m/list/2020/

Dunno if I'll be in any sort of condition to watch another movie or two tomorrow, but still check the list before closing the poll Hayden.

LedZep, I can't access this Sad Is it published? All I can see are your 90s/00s/10s lists.

My bad d'oh! Should be all good now

Thanks Ledzep, got it Smile

Quote:
I did knew all these, but I've heard Once Upon a Time in Venezuela first time in your recs and couldn't find it anywhere. Thx for sharing those films and hope people will follow your recs, they're all beautiful.

Figured as much Razz Just asked cause they were all in the post. I think Beginning (Georgian film) and Dear Comrades! are in the same category. There's some highs from the year that really needed a festival circuit this year and never got it (like Once Upon A Time In Venezuela). Hope you find it. One of the more unique docs I've seen in a long time.

Hoping for at least one more list coming in today. We have an awkward 5-way tie for the 48-52 range Anxious. Every point counts.
  • Visit poster's website
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 05/02/2021 18:19
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Figured as much Razz Just asked cause they were all in the post. I think Beginning (Georgian film) and Dear Comrades! are in the same category. There's some highs from the year that really needed a festival circuit this year and never got it (like Once Upon A Time In Venezuela). Hope you find it. One of the more unique docs I've seen in a long time.
[. Every point counts.

Exactly! Not just Beginning or Once Upon a Time in Venezuela, films like The Woman Who Ran, Limbo, and especially Air Conditioner are nowhere to be found. Dying to watch those...
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/02/2021 18:45
  • Post subject:
Btw thanks again for extending the poll, I saw 3 movies yesterday (The Father was a rewatch) and I'm hoping other people used the weekend well too Smile

Edit:
almost forgot this

Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)
Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
Jessie Buckley (I'm Thinking of Ending Things)
Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
Letitia Wright (Mangrove)
Gemma Arterton (Summerland)
Talia Ryder (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
Mads Mikkelsen (Druk)
Riz Ahmed (The Sound of Metal)
Steven Yeun (Minari)
Alan Kim (Minari)
Sacha Baron Cohen (The Trial of Chicago 7)
Andy Samberg (Palm Springs)
Shaun Parkes (Mangrove)

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 05/02/2021 18:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/02/2021 18:57
  • Post subject:
jnfbn wrote:
Hayden wrote:

[. Every point counts.

Exactly! Not just Beginning or Once Upon a Time in Venezuela, films like The Woman Who Ran, Limbo, and especially Air Conditioner are nowhere to be found. Dying to watch those...

Air Conditioner is a super small film from Angola, but it had a live premier/screening on Youtube for two days about this time last year. For a film of that scale, it was really quite good. Some beautiful work throughout. Slightly absurd yet slow, sad and quiet. It hit a whole bunch of serious topics extremely well. I can't promise it'll pop up anywhere else unfortunately... there's a trailer on Youtube, but definitely needed a festival platform. I remember giving it a shot simply because it was short (72m) and found myself really glad I did.

Haven't seen Limbo. Think it's going to get a bigger release sometime this week actually.

EDIT: Re: Air Conditioner, a film website just held a similar poll and it placed fairly high— https://letterboxd.com/fliptrotsky/list...scfz-poll/
  • Visit poster's website