ALC #9 We Are

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
kokkinos

• Posted: 03/28/2021 23:26
  • Post subject: ALC #9 We Are

We Are - Jon Batiste
I knew this album would be special way before its release. Still, I initially wasn't sure if I should nominate it, as it seemed too obvious of a choice. One factor that convinced me was that soul music hasn't been represented so far - well, neither has hip hop, which was my other choice, but we have an entire tournament running for this, so it should suffice. Also, I realised this album didn't even exist in BEA's database and had to add it myself, so I guessed most of you either didn't listen to it or didn't like it enough to bother - though it may have to do with the fact that I checked one day after it came out, lol. Anyway, enough nonsense, let's move to the album itself.
This is one of those albums where the artist's personality comes before music itself. His passion is truly inspiring, it's almost impossible not to be moved by it. This album - and music in general - is for him a means to an end, to quote the man himself he views music as "a social glue". So, if you have the feeling it sounds too familiar, well that's the point. He is masterfully blending together all the different elements of African American culture (that would include Neo-Soul/R & B/Gospel/Blues/Funk/Hip Hop/Jazz etc.) in an attempt to connect the community with its roots and raise its awareness and cohesiveness. Of course, such a challenging project is bound to come with some missteps. The bombastic opening track already warns you that this is going to be quite the ride, but at the same time you get the impression it may be even bigger than the work of a man could capture. It's not very often that an artist can match this sky high level of ambition and passion with his craft - that's why albums like To Pimp A Butterfly or What's Going On are such rare breeds. On the other hand, these minor flaws shouldn't diminish the magnitude of this artistic statement, he throws the idea of genres out of the window and offers us a unique listening experience, a cathartic journey to a world of joy, freedom and sensibility. As far as stand out tracks go, I would give the nod to either We Are or Cry, though I'm sure one could find more candidates - in general, saying that the album is front loaded would be a fair assessment, it loses steam towards the end. Ok, maybe I got too excited, but not many albums have spoken to me like that lately, it will be interesting to see where this stands in 6 months time. That's all for now, I'm curious to everyone else's thoughts.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/28/2021 23:34
  • Post subject:
Applause Applause Applause

This is amazing. Agreed. It’s one of my fave albums of the year For a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I think the first half is basically perfect. WE ARE, CRY, BOY HOOD, and TELL THE TRUTH are all stellar.

I saw that I think me and you, Kokkinos, had rated it thus far and that saddened me. But that was a couple days ago and now it seems it’s gaining traction.

My fave ALC so far, I think, (although 1 I have yet to listen to).

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/28/2021 23:43
  • Post subject:
Get this man an Oscar.

(I was 50/50 on giving this a spin, but may as well plop it in the queue).
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2021 04:51
  • Post subject:
I'm a huge fan of Colbert and have naturally fallen for Batiste as well. Just seems like a great guy. sometimes I wonder if i can trust him because he doesn't drink. I mean, who doesn't drink? Why can't he be just like me. Cynical & drunk, that is. But, for Batiste, I will make an exception.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2021 15:18
  • Post subject:
This is lovely. I watched Soul next week and only a few days later you suggest this? Fantastic and well timed!

Honestly not exactly what I was expecting, certainly a little jazzy but clearly an R&B/soul album. I'd say even spiritual/gospel though without being religious.

Probably going near the top of my 2021, top 5 for sure, but not sure it'll oust Nick Cave or Work Money Death for the #1 spot.

BOYHOOD and ADULTHOOD are my favorites on the album along with the opener with the marching band.

I hope Batiste continues to experiment more in the future, though the past few months have certainly been the highlight of his career so far, I'm really curious what else he can accomplish.

And yeah, he totally deserves an Oscar! I haven't seen the other movies whose scores were nominated, but I've listened to a bit of Mank's score and IMO it would be criminal to award that over the other Reznor/Atticus project. Would be a huge slight to Batiste if that happened.

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to this album! I'm afraid I would've missed it without this ALC.
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2021 15:41
  • Post subject:
i've been living under a rock and had no idea who jon batiste was, but this is an incredible record, and i'm going to have to trench up some more of his stuff. the songwriting here is masterful, and the performance, production, etc. comes together wonderfully. great rec.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2021 16:52
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
i've been living under a rock and had no idea who jon batiste was, but this is an incredible record, and i'm going to have to trench up some more of his stuff. the songwriting here is masterful, and the performance, production, etc. comes together wonderfully. great rec.

To be honest it wasn't until this thread that I realized the composer of half of Soul's score was also Colbert's band leader on his show. To be fair though I rarely ever watch his show. But I did see an interview with Batiste about Soul and thought he looked familiar. It all clicked once Repo mentioned Colbert Laughing
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/30/2021 20:27
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
To be honest it wasn't until this thread that I realized the composer of half of Soul's score was also Colbert's band leader on his show. To be fair though I rarely ever watch his show. But I did see an interview with Batiste about Soul and thought he looked familiar. It all clicked once Repo mentioned Colbert Laughing

Between Questlove scooping up the top award at Sundance and Batiste surely bagging an Oscar next month, late night talk show bands are proving their weight in the world of cinema this year.

Going to give this a spin later today. Enjoy reading the praise.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/31/2021 15:08
  • Post subject:
Ayy, not bad. Definitely some highs and lows, and perhaps a few too many styles to garner a cohesive sound, but it's a decent record. I prefer the tracks he goes on more of this New Orleans/ D'Angelo fusion, but there's nothing wrong with the rest. If he really honed in on that sound (maybe sprinkled with a bit more jazz) I think he could pull off an even better record.

(And I thought Show Me The Way was a Thundercat cover for at least 45 seconds... that's an awfully similar melody).

Overall though, glad I gave it a spin Smile Plenty of fun.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/31/2021 15:35
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Ayy, not bad. Definitely some highs and lows, and perhaps a few too many styles to garner a cohesive sound, but it's a decent record. I prefer the tracks he goes on more of this New Orleans/ D'Angelo fusion, but there's nothing wrong with the rest. If he really honed in on that sound (maybe sprinkled with a bit more jazz) I think he could pull off an even better record.

(And I thought Show Me The Way was a Thundercat cover for at least 45 seconds... that's an awfully similar melody).

Overall though, glad I gave it a spin Smile Plenty of fun.

Pretty much this. Plus soul is a genre that I can enjoy a lot, but it's not one of my favourite genres so it takes something really good to wow me. This wasn't quite it, but it surely was a fun album despite the issues.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website