I'm going back to the start

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/21/2021 17:27
  • Post subject:
Some albums I didn't particularly enjoy, but are worthy of a mention nonetheless.

Various Artists - Folk Music Of The U.S...viet Union
As the title suggests, this is a collection of songs from various nations of the Soviet Union, for example Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Gerogia, Moldova, Ukraine, etc. A country that occupies such a vast area is bound to be culturally diverse, yet this is surprisingly cohesive album. All the songs display a frugal, restrained, almost distrustful attitude towards the listener, very rarely does it open up, you're left looking for underlying messages or emotions and I didn't find any - hopefully I didn't sound too negative, it's just that the cultural gap is too big. 5.5./10.

Nino Rota - La Dolce Vita
Soundtracks don't make that much sense unless you have watched the movie. Well, I haven't, so I guess this counts as a dumb move on my part and has little to do with the album itself. The one thing I can safely say is that listening to this didn't convince me to do so, but some reviews of the film I was checking out simultaneously did. I intend to come back and give this another chance - seriously though, what was Jingle Bells doing in here? 6/10.

Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich - The Drum Battle
A live album for a change. Despite the title, as a whole it's not as percussion-oriented as you might have imagined, the first half is more or less standard sax-driven jazz of its era (it's worth pointing out that this was recorded in 1952 and released in 1960). All the fuss is about two tracks, namely Drum Boogie that comes with a long solo by Krupa and The Drum Battle, where Krupa and Rich trade solos. Despite not being a fan of those two tracks, I found the rest of the album rather pleasing, but - as said earlier - nothing extraordinary. The main selling points of the album are the ones I mentioned right above, by ignoring them it kinda loses its point. 6.5/10

Muddy Waters - Muddy Waters Sings Big Bill
A tribute to Big Bill Broonzy by Muddy Waters. It's as cliche as it gets when talking about handling non-original material, but his electric take on Big Bill's songs does give them a breath of fresh air. Also, the harmonica is fantastic, it felt even more soulful than the vocals or the guitar and that says a lot. Still, I can't say I found it especially memorable neither were there any standout moments that blew me away, it kinda passed me by. 6/10.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2021 17:32
  • Post subject:
Yeah I believe that is Little Walter on harmonica. He’s a legend. Highly recommend listening to a compilation of his solo work. His albums from the couple I’ve heard aren’t as great. Little Walter is the greatest blues harmonica player of all time.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/21/2021 22:52
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:

Nino Rota - La Dolce Vita
Soundtracks don't make that much sense unless you have watched the movie. Well, I haven't, so I guess this counts as a dumb move on my part and has little to do with the album itself.

I mean, it's probably the best damn film ever made, but whatevs. It got a fantastic restoration a couple of years ago too. If you can spare 3hs one evening, I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch. (Fellini's just too good... 8 1/2, La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita... all perfect. It's like picking a favourite Italian dish.). For me, the score evokes the film, which adds a whole bunch of layers. Fellini cursed me into knowing Rome is better in black and white.

The Krupa/Rich record is a staple. Def not as... 'battle-y' as the cover/name might suggest, but it's one hell of a marathon.

And True Blue's a gem. One of the best in its vicinity, truly. Glad you gave it a go. I think it's one of the more underappreciated jazz records of that early Blue Note period. All of Brooks albums were pretty much recorded around the time of that session. Think it was the only one he actually saw released though.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/22/2021 16:07
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Yeah I believe that is Little Walter on harmonica.

Not sure about that, the credits mention James Cotton. Still, thanks for the rec, I'll check him out as well, The Best of Little Walter seems like a decent starting point.

Hayden wrote:

I mean, it's probably the best damn film ever made, but whatevs. It got a fantastic restoration a couple of years ago too. If you can spare 3hs one evening, I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch. (Fellini's just too good... 8 1/2, La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita... all perfect. It's like picking a favourite Italian dish.). For me, the score evokes the film, which adds a whole bunch of layers. Fellini cursed me into knowing Rome is better in black and white.

Well, if it's half as good as 8 1/2 we' re talking about a masterpiece. My watchlist is way more manageable than my listening queue, so it should be rather soon I get to it.

Hayden wrote:
The Krupa/Rich record is a staple. Def not as... 'battle-y' as the cover/name might suggest, but it's one hell of a marathon.

Actually, it's the first album so far I took from your chart, I meant to bring it up, but I decided to wait for something that would feel closer to me in order to give you proper credit - which is a matter of time as there's tons of great stuff in your chart.

Hayden wrote:
Think it was the only one he actually saw released though.

I'm sure I caught that somewhere on the internet, so it must be right.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/23/2021 19:45
  • Post subject:
Continuing with some big names:

Muddy Waters - At Newport 1960

Another album released by Muddy Waters in 1960, this time it's a live one. In general, this kind of music depends a lot on the energy and the dynamics between the performer and the audience, so it's only natural that it ranks slightly ahead of his studio album, though it has to be said it doesn't utilise the traditional means you might expect from a live album, i.e. adopting a super active and aggressive approach, it manages to evoke the desired intensity and directness through establishing a more relaxed atmosphere. Other than that there isn't that much to separate those two (there's even one song that appears on both records and that's I Feel So Good), this is likewise an electric take on blues that apart from entertaining is also highly influential, it wouldn't be a stretch imagining the hard rock pioneers being inspired by this. 6.5/10.

Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite

"Freedom Day, it's Freedom Day. Throw those shackle n' chains away
Everybody that I see says it's really true, we're free
Freedom Day, it's Freedom Day. Free to vote and earn my pay
Dim my path and hide the way. But we've made it Freedom Day"

Even though jazz may not be the most obvious genre to associate with political messages - or any messages for that matter - given the lack of lyrics, it's had its fair share of those and this must comfortably sit near the very top - if not right at it - in any such list. Back then, this was an integral part of the civil rights movement. So, how sad is it that this album is just as relevant today as it was sixty years ago? The best thing about it is that it doesn't glorify anything, it captures all the elements of the struggle in a realistic manner, the uncertainty of the outcome, the agony of failure, the oppression and injustice reaching their highest points, the running out of patience leading to an urgency to make a rapid - and sometimes reckless - move, the intimate sense of belonging to a community and fighting for a greater cause and, above all, the inextinguishable desire for freedom. Anyway, here one can witness one of those rare occasions where the artistic vision matches the social and cultural impact, as all of the above find a way to be expressed through music - the main focus is percussion and vocals, but there's so much going on here that I couldn't possibly do it justice - ambition and passion are the two sides of the same coin and each one is equally represented achieving a fine balance - neither surpasses the other, think of a yin yang dualism. 7.5/10.

Frank Sinatra - Nice 'N' Easy
Ok, the one positive thing I can say is he's not as annoying as Elvis, but that's like saying a rapper is not as annoying as Eminem, something would be really wrong if he was. That's enough to get the point, don't wanna hate it too much. 5.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/24/2021 10:45
  • Post subject:
Tomorrow marks the 104th birth anniversary (25 April 1917) of Ella Fitzgerald and that's a good enough excuse to find out what she was doing back in 1960.

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella In Berlin

Generally speaking, vocal jazz is a tough pill to swallow. The vocals tend to distract from all the amazing stuff that is going on in the instrumental department, which is the main attraction of jazz -well, any music, but especially jazz. Ella is one of the few exceptions to that rule - she is the queen of jazz after all. The gentle touch of her voice easily overcomes this problem. She doesn't come off as annoying at any point, she accompanies the music without overshadowing it. At the same time, she has enough charisma and personality to be more than just another instrument playing somewhere in the background. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she demands your attention, but leaves room for everyone else as well. As is often the case with great performers, the stage suits them more than the studio, as the direct contact with the audience makes them feel at home and that's something so very obvious in this album. It's not a coincidence that the most well-known part of this is Mack The Knife, where she famously forgot the lyrics and had to improvise, an incident that has acquired legendary status by now. However, my favourite one would unquestionably be How High The Moon, a fantastic display of her talents. Also, it's worth ponting out that the original edition contains only 9 tracks, so I would suggest looking for the expanded 1993 version instead. 6.5/10.

Ella Fitzgerald - Let No Man Write My Epitaph

Unfortunately, this showcases how great the previous album was. Here the setup consists of only voice and piano. As a result, the aforementioned balance is nowhere to be found. You can't blame her too much, she does a great job anyhow, but it's not that easy to carry the album, it leaves a lot to be desired. 6/10.

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas

A good 8 months early to the party, but now that we're at it, why not bring this one up as well. One of the best Christmas albums of all time, it’s been there for so many years that it’s hard to imagine Christmastide without it. 7/10.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/24/2021 17:55
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:

Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite

"Freedom Day, it's Freedom Day. Throw those shackle n' chains away
Everybody that I see says it's really true, we're free
Freedom Day, it's Freedom Day. Free to vote and earn my pay
Dim my path and hide the way. But we've made it Freedom Day"

Even though jazz may not be the most obvious genre to associate with political messages - or any messages for that matter - given the lack of lyrics, it's had its fair share of those and this must comfortably sit near the very top - if not right at it - in any such list. Back then, this was an integral part of the civil rights movement. So, how sad is it that this album is just as relevant today as it was sixty years ago? The best thing about it is that it doesn't glorify anything, it captures all the elements of the struggle in a realistic manner, the uncertainty of the outcome, the agony of failure, the oppression and injustice reaching their highest points, the running out of patience leading to an urgency to make a rapid - and sometimes reckless - move, the intimate sense of belonging to a community and fighting for a greater cause and, above all, the inextinguishable desire for freedom. Anyway, here one can witness one of those rare occasions where the artistic vision matches the social and cultural impact, as all of the above find a way to be expressed through music - the main focus is percussion and vocals, but there's so much going on here that I couldn't possibly do it justice - ambition and passion are the two sides of the same coin and each one is equally represented achieving a fine balance - neither surpasses the other, think of a yin yang dualism. 7.5/10.

Love
One of all time faves, such a blast.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/25/2021 10:55
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Love
One of all time faves, such a blast.

I can only imagine what a bomb this must have been back in 1960, mindblowing stuff.

Moving on:

Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
Freddie Hubbard had already made a name for himself by collaborating with some well established jazz players, so there must have been some anticipation when he released his debut as a band leader. As I've already mentioned, my introduction to jazz of this era was Miles Davis and he proved to be too much as a starting point, not the most accessible path to jazz's promised land. As a result, I 've been skeptical when it comes to trumpet players for quite some time, though I'd like to think I'm over it by now. A deciding factor in checking this album out was that we get to meet Tina Brooks again - a familiar name at this point - playing the sax. It's worth noting that Hubbard and Brooks recorded True Blue six days after this. The interaction between those two makes this album what it is. Don't let them fool you, their solos are cheerful on the surface, but there’s a blazing fire underneath - sorry, I can only do so long without a Coldplay reference. There are instances when Brooks comes dangerously close to stealing the show, but in the end their chemistry prevails and the overall balance is restored. I can't say the same regarding the tracklisting. It consists of three original compositions and three covers and it immediately strikes me that the former are significantly better - and if that sounds extreme, you could say they play to the band's strengths if you will. I find it particularly annoying how But Beautiful - which is as its name suggests should be a beautiful ballad - is thrown between the fancy Open Sesame and the Eastern music inspired Gypsy Blue and at once kills the mood. 7/10.

The Shirelles - Tonight's The Night
This is so much fun and it doesn't feel the urgency to apologise for it, it perfectly captures the innocence and the excitement of a teenage love, even the seemingly more emotional moments have a youtful silliness where for example a heartbreak gets shrouded by a melodramatic mist and elevated to end of the world importance that is simply adorable. And of course there’s Boys, soon to be covered by The Beatles, so that must count for something, especially if you have a soft spot for Ringo – and let’s be real, who doesn’t ? 7/10.

Chuck Berry - Rockin' At The Hops
Elvis on steroids. Not in the mood to go down the rabbit hole of this pointless comparison (after all, this is as one-sided as a debate can get), but I had to put it out there.
Bye, Bye Johnny is great, Let It Rock is a classic and Too Pooped To Pop ain't half bad either, but there are better Chuck Berry collections of songs out there, no doubt about that. 6.5/10.

Charlie Rouse - Takin' Care Of Business
Similar to Freddie Hubbard, his debut as a band leader came after having already played along some huge names (Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington and - the one he's mostly well known for - Thelonious Monk), so there were some expectations to be met. Once again the typical lineup of trumpet, sax, piano, bass and drums, definitely entertaining - there are many occassions, especially during the first half, where he plays the sax like a possessed man, an exemplary display of frenetic speed, surgical precision, and infectious passion that allows his glowing style to come through - but too standard to be memorable. Taking into account the abundance of jazz albums in 1960 and that most of them fall under the hard bop umbrella, the bar may be set too high, it takes something really special to stand out. 6.5/10.

Ray Charles - The Genius Hits The Road
Wait a second, what's this album title, I didn't know GZA released an album in 1960, I thought he was a bit younger.
Joking aside, all you need to know about this album is that it has Georgia On My Mind in it. Don't get me wrong, the overall concept is really cool - I mean, the fact that he came up with a concept for an album is enough by itself - , but the individual songs don't do that much for me. 6.5/10
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/26/2021 22:19
  • Post subject:

Paul Conrad - Exotic Paradise
That’s the only album pianist Paul Conrad ever released, which is a curious case, but I guess anything exotic must have some mystery, that’s part of the charm. The album title provides quite an accurate description of what you are about to listen. Piano and xylophone provide the core of its sound, mainly tropical with a touch of Eastern music. At times it's closer to ambient, every now and then it's party time and it gets more lively, at some points it's chilling at the beach without a care in the world, it keeps the insouciant attitude at all costs. Despite the adequate variety, it gets dull after a while, but it was a refreshing change nonetheless. 6.5/10.

Tito Puente - Tambó
It’s all about the percussion, but not in the typical show off or overly technical sense, it’s very catchy and creates an atmosphere based on vivid imagery. You are lost in the middle of the jungle, but you have no time to admire the landscape or the wildlife, the adventure begins immediately. The shamans are dancing around the fire, the music dramatically intensifies, the ritual is reaching its climax, their spirits escape their bodies as they enter a fully ecstatic state of consciousness. Ok, you get the point. One of my favorite discoveries so far. 7.5/10.

The Ventures - Walk Don't Run
Longest 27 minutes ever? I need to check what’s the running times of Ramones, which is also below 30 if I recall correctly, but in any case it has to be between those two. Not even the -admittedly cool - eponymous single can save this. 5.5./10.

Wanda Jackson - Rockin' With Wanda
Somewhere between rock and roll and country, this suffers from being too repetitive just as it was the case the above album, but it's hard to resist anyway, she has enough charisma to barely pull it off. 6.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/26/2021 22:57
  • Post subject:
Oh, the album covers of 60s dollarbins.

Glad you gave the Roach record a spin. One of the best.
  • Visit poster's website