I'm going back to the start

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/03/2022 21:11
  • Post subject:

Barbara Chante Barbara - Barbara
I’ve always thought that French language and music should be a match made in heaven. I haven’t found many artists to validate this belief of mine, but this album is one of the finest examples. Barbara uses that to her advantage and makes the most of the language’s aesthetic sensibilities, everything here sounds plain gorgeous.
7/10.

Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman
You know it by now, Roy Orbison's voice is a thing of beauty. The self-titled track is his most recognisable song – however, Crying will always be his best as far as I’m concerned – but there’s more to it, he is gifted enough to make most songs work, even his most bombastic and melodramatic moments that should in theory be a big no-no showcase a touching and believable vulnerability that makes him so relatable.
7.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/04/2022 21:43
  • Post subject:

Jackie McLean - Destination ... Out!
You know by now how much I like the man, he is one of my go-to guys when it comes to the saxophone. That being said, something was off here, there were barely any moments I could vibe with it. Different and interesting, sure, but it’s not a style that appeals to me that much. Not sure why or how people view it as accessible, I found it too subtle and minimal, heavily relying on the atmosphere. If this album were a human being, it would definitely be an introvert.
6/10.

Joan Baez - Joan Baez/5
I liked this a bit more compared to other albums of her I’ve listened. When she’s more restrained and direct, it may be slightly dull, but it works just fine for the most part. When she returns to her typical self and starts getting weird (Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 being the most obvious example where she’s simply seeking attention, but there’s many more) it’s a big no-no for me. Nothing wrong with the song selection, it’s good stuff and the kind of material that should suit her.
6/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/05/2022 21:23
  • Post subject:
(After being way too generous with my ratings for some time, now it's the other way around and I feel bad about it, maybe 1964 isn't that great of a year or at least doesn't run that deep and I need to slowly move on.)

Doc Watson - Doc Watson
I know I ’ve heard about this artist before, but mostly because of his story, namely that he was blind from a young age, I doubt I’ve ever been exposed to his work and it’s more or less what I expected. A humble, honest and sensitive take on American traditional music. If you are – you know I’m not - a fan of this type of music, this should be right up your alley. His guitar playing is nice, while I’m not huge on the more country-influenced numbers where he picks up the banjo.
5/10.

Grant Green - Talkin' About
Speaking of albums that lie outside my comfort zone, here comes Grant Green and his jazz guitar. I have to admit that, despite relying on the same principles for the most part, his performance here is more energetic and as a result engaging than usual, the man is a rock star, the opening track being a prime example of that, the rest is closer to his typical stuff. At the same time, Larry Young’s organ adds a welcome funky tone. Still, a long way to go for me.
4.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/06/2022 20:41
  • Post subject:

Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Cen...sic Center
Well, talk about something different and out of the ordinary. I’m not quite sure what to make of it, but it’s clearly way too advanced for 1964 – actually, 1964 is the release date, it was recorded back in 1961, making it even more impressive. If you are interested in the history of electronic music – or music in general – this is an album you simply can’t miss. Probably not the most entertaining record out there, but one of the most interesting nonetheless.
6.5/10

The Dubliners - The Dubliners With Luke Kelly
Oh yeah, this is it! Even though it isn’t exactly the type of music I usually enjoy, quite far from it to be honest, I love the attitude and the atmosphere, it’s as if you are hanging with some friends and having tons of fun without a care in the world.
7/10.

Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time
Another wonderful collaboration between Monk and Charlie Rouse. I’ve always liked Monk quite a bit, but my relationship with his work has been on a tear lately, everything clicks instantly. Not much to say really, I think I’ve already mentioned what makes him great in my opinion. Regarding this one, it has to be one of his catchiest, it’s so boppy and happy and lively, impossible to resist. At the same time his unique skillset comes off nicely, as his quirky style crosses the path of traditional jazz - the opening track is a fine example of that and the highlight of the album.
7.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/07/2022 21:57
  • Post subject:

The Dave Clark Five - Glad All Over
This is bound to make some noise, endless youthful energy throughout, those guys are punks – ok, don’t take that too seriously, they aren’t angry or anything, they just want to have fun, I called them that way because they rock hard compared to the obvious point of reference, namely The Beatles. There aren’t any spectacular highlights, but there is nothing unlistenable here either, a decent effort all in all.
7/10.

Ravi Shankar - Portrait Of Genius
This is only the second Ravi Shankar album I've listened so far and that's something I need to fix. A fabulous combination of hypnotic percussion, gorgeous flute and of course his sitar as the icing on the cake create a fascinating atmosphere you can’t escape, as soon as you start listening the journey begins, you'll find yourself in places you didn't know existed.
7.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/08/2022 21:00
  • Post subject:

Archie Shepp - Four For Trane
It should be a well-known fact that no one does Coltrane like Coltrane, but big props to him for trying anyway, especially if you take into account that he doesn’t act like a copycat, he adds his own twist to those compositions. It’s heavily influenced by the Hard Bop/Blues tradition and I’d say it’s more extrovert than Coltrane’s version, but at the same time it is presented in an unconventional and forward-thinking way that might take a listen or two before one gets fully accustomed to it. That being said, it’s the closer, Rufus, that is the most interesting piece here and the one that elevates the whole album.
7.5/10.

Paco De Lucía & Ricardo Modrego - ... En Stereo
Passion and flamenco are closely associated with each other and this record perfectly demonstrates why, the clarity and directness of their play allows all of it to come through, it’s as if they are standing next to you and of course their chemistry is phenomenal, it gives the impression they are the same person. This is definitely not an album for the faint-hearted, I have to admit there were instances where I found it emotionally overwhelming and needed a break. Some more variety wouldn't hurt either.
6.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/09/2022 22:01
  • Post subject:

Roland Kirk - Kirk In Copenhagen
Man, Roland Kirk knows how to entertain the crowd. This works like one long, relentless banger, he – and the rest of the band as well – is in the zone, they won’t let you ignore them, they demand your full attention throughout its entirety. The only time they take a break is when Roland Kirk feels like taking a moment to banter between tracks, which adds to the atmosphere, any live album would benefit from it. He's got many great album and this is undoubtedly one of them.
8/10.

Illinois Jacquet - Desert Winds
I don't think I've heard anything by Illinois Jacquet before, I'm glad I gave it a try and may check out more of his work. What a change of scenery compared to the above – and a welcome one I might add. After following Kirk’s bouncy band to their exciting escapades, it’s time to relax. The title is totally justified, it does feel like a journey across the desert – although it has to be said it's a peaceful and easy to cross one, nothing like the fierce stuff that takes place in Lawrence Of Arabia.
7/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/11/2022 23:15
  • Post subject:

Gerry And The Pacemakers - Don't Let Th...You Crying
Not much has changed between their 1963 debut and this one and why would it, I like this one just as much. As I’ve said before, I prefer their easy on the ear, pop-oriented style compared to the rougher approach many of their contemporaries followed. I’d say this record can comfortably stand next to The Beatles’ early output – which is no small feat in my book, as I’m one of those who are in love with most things the Fab Four ever did, including their “boy band” period.
7.5/10.

Freddie Hubbard - The Body And The Soul
I was wondering whether big band and Freddie Hubbard would be compatible with each other and it seems they are. I mean, a musician of his calibre would probably shine under any circumstances, but it was nice having an official confirmation nonetheless. His tone is as warm and smooth as ever, though he can easily mix it up when needed, he knows when to raise the stakes – for example Clarence’s Place or Aries or Thermo are straight hard bop. Still, it’s the beautiful ballads are my favourite parts of the album and the deciding factor that sets it apart from his other albums.
7.5/10.

Miles Davis - Miles Davis In Europe
It was about time, I haven’t listened to any Miles for a while. I find it curious how I’m always keen on exploring more Coltrane in the hope of “getting” him, something I’ve never had for Miles. This was another reminder why. I don’t know, he finds a mood he and the band are comfortable with and from that point on they just flow along, there’s no spark so to speak. It goes without saying that each band member is extremely talented and I have enjoyed some of their work elsewhere, but this one sadly didn't work, maybe one day I'll see the light.
6/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/12/2022 22:02
  • Post subject:

Music For The Classical Oud - Khamis El Fino
Compared to other oud albums I’ve listened - not that many-, this one was grander in scope and as a result more cinematic. It might seem as if he’s just jamming and having fun, but there’s a point to the longer tracks, they progress towards a natural conclusion, they are more than an excuse to show off what a great player he is. At the same time, the concentrated intensity of the shorter tracks is also cool and definitely more accessible.
7/10.

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
As I’ve written before, I’m relatively new when it comes to Dexter Gordon and each album of his that I listen makes me realise more and more how much I’ve been missing. The opening track is the most well-known one here, but it’s the second side that does the trick for me. Coppin' The Haven plays to Gordon’s strengths and could easily fit in Go – out of the ones I’m familiar with, that’s my favourite record of his – an unapologetically joyful celebration of life. Darn That Dream moves to another direction, as it is hopelessly romantic, we are suddenly in Paris - no pun intended. All in all, another excellent entry to his catalogue.
7/10.

Sleepy John Estes - Broke And Hungry
I don’t know, I think this is somewhat underlooked and deserves more attention. I mean, you know blues is not my jam, not at all, but I have to say I don’t consider it inferior to other similar records of the time that I’ve listened. One explanation is that the sound is too rich, maybe too clean also, which could be a detrimental factor when you are trying to convey to your audience how it feels to be poor and lonely and depressed. On the other hand, this is exactly what made it more enjoyable to an outsider on the blues tradition.
6.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/13/2022 21:58
  • Post subject:

Jimmy Smith - The Cat
His 1963 album didn’t really excite me, but I thought let’s give him another chance. It turned out to be of the same, which is good news if you are a fan, not so much otherwise. I highly doubt I will revisit it, but I have to admit he has a cool and unique way of handling the organ, as he manages to remains funky and funny at the same time, though I’m not sure if the big band is necessary or meaningful in any way, I'd rather have him in the spotlight.
6/10.

Dave Van Ronk - Inside Dave Van Ronk
I consider this inferior to his 1962 album - Dave Van Ronk, Folksinger - which felt a bit fresher, this one was too close to the tradition and lacked some personality. Taking into account that Dave Van Ronk was a major influence on Bob Dylan, I’d say this was slightly less Dylanesque in comparison. And the funny thing is that they were both recorded during the same sessions. A couple of tracks do stand out, but most of them are rather forgettable and simply pass me by.
6/10.
  • Visit poster's website