View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2021 22:00
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song
Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas, have fun and stay safe!

You too, brother!!! Great album! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/26/2021 20:52
  • Post subject:

Antônio Carlos Jobim - The Composer Of...ado, Plays
Better or at least easier to like than most bossa nova I’ve tried up to this point, it’s easy to tell that the flute makes all the difference, its elegance is reminiscent of classical music and more than makes up for any lack of energy or suspense.
6.5/10.

No Room For Squares - Hank Mobley
That’s another typical Hank Mobley release: super catchy hard bop tunes, Hank Mobley delivering one more fantastic performance that fully justifies why he’s considered one of the greatest ever, an all-star band to his side, Philly Joe Jones getting in the way a bit too much for my liking, you know how it goes.
7/10.

The Max Roach Quartet - Speak, Brother, Speak!
Speaking of drummers, Max Roach is one of the very few I really like – don’t get me wrong, I appreciate them as indispensable members of the rhythm section, pretty much impossible to imagine any rock band without them, but I find it off-putting when they go for more – and he can usually get away with a solo, but here he goes too far, way too far. Out of the ones I’ve listened so far, this is his weakest effort in my book and it’s not even close.
6/10.

John Coltrane - Dakar
This was recorded in 1957 and released in 1963, so you know what to expect. If Blue Train or Giant Steps are your thing compared to his more avant-garde/spiritual works, then you will probably like this one too, arguably not as good as either of those two, but he’s already in good shape – I mean, there’s no Coltrane album I would consider a waste of time, all of them have something to offer, especially if you are a fan - and his company ain’t half bad, it’s more of a team effort actually. Velvet Scene is a lovely ballad and quite easily my favourite track here.
7/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/27/2021 21:12
  • Post subject:

Mississippi John Hurt - Folk Songs And Blues
Not exactly a surprise, this didn’t do much for me – excuse my terribly low score. On the other hand, I read that there are better entry points to this man’s discography, so I might have to check a compilation – 1928 sessions seems to be the way forward. Liza Jane - God's Unchanging Hand was the one song I really liked, maybe due to how expressive his harmonica is.
5.5/10

Kenny Dorham - Una Mas (One More Time)
The latin elements aren’t that clear and even when they do make their presence felt, they are not what makes this album great. It’s the more traditional, bluesy jazz that won me over. I think the performances are even stronger compared to the other album of his that I listened a few months ago, namely Whistle Stop. You could say that Butch Warren (bass) gets the short end of the stick, as everyone else has his chance to shine and takes full advantage of it, especially Dorham (trumpet) and Henderson (saxophone) who are the stars here, while Hancock (piano) adds a much needed extra spicy flavour and, last but not least, props to Anthony Williams (drums) for keeping the balance.
7.5/10

Herbie Hancock - My Point Of View
Speaking of Hancock, here he comes again – it also features the same drummer as the above. I consider this more or less equal to his debut album, Takin’ Off. If you are expecting some next-level edgy stuff, you might be disappointed. If you are interested in watching his development from very good to legend or if some slow, delicate and atmospheric jazz is your thing, give it a try.
7/10
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/28/2021 19:56
  • Post subject:

Kimio Eto - Art Of The Koto: The Music Of Japan
Now, that’s something different. Koto is a 13 string Japanese traditional instrument that’s been occasionally used in Western music, but listening to an entire album where it’s the centre of attention is a whole new ball game. No signs of a cultural gap, the clarity of his play carried an emotional punch that made it highly relatable.
7.5/10

Helen Shapiro - Helen In Nashville
This was a pleasant surprise, easily surpassing my expectations. Infectious pop music and a vocal performance in the heavily emotional style of Roy Orbison, who as you know I really like. Some hilarious backing vocals - a good example would be Here Today and Gone Tomorrow, but there’s a lot of them – that add a lighter tone and balance it out.
7.5/10

Lesley Gore - I'll Cry If I Want To
Well, this confused me a bit. I thought it would be like the album right above and there were many similarities in sound, but not so much in attitude. Even though this one’s main theme seems to be crying, it avoids being excessively dramatic, it’s much more easy-going, almost carefree and doesn’t take itself too seriously. The opening track stands head and shoulders above the rest of the albums, excellent song.
7/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/29/2021 20:00
  • Post subject:

Krzysztof Komeda - Ballet Etudes / The ...al Quintet
Not as famous as his 1966 album, but it’s a fine effort nonetheless, what a tragedy we didn’t get to hear more from this wonderful artist, gone way too young. Anyway, let’s appreciate what we have. What I like the most about this one is how it keeps moving, throwing various interesting ideas into the mix, but at the same time nothing seems random or purposeless, it’s as if every note – even the moments of silence - carries its own substance that can’t be replaced. It’s not uncommon that albums with a progressive mindset lose focus and start drifting, not this one. And of course it’s one of those records that require multiple listens in order to get a good grasp of what’s going on, so I guess it might grow on me.
7/10.

Dave Van Ronk - Dave Van Ronk, Folksinger
It’s easy to tell that Bob Dylan was taking notes. The fact that the apprentice more or less instantly surpassed the master (ok, the true master was Woody Guthrie, but you get the point) is irrelevant, its influence shouldn’t overshadow its standalone value, this should be judged on its own merits and it’s got plenty of those. It remains faithful to the folk/blues tradition, but at the same time feels fresh - for 1963 standards at least. Good stuff.
7/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/30/2021 22:01
  • Post subject:

Sun Ra And His Myth Science Arkestra - ... Comes Out
Each Sun Ra album is a unique and fascinating ride. This one’s no exception. The opening track sets the scene: ritualistic percussion and otherworldly, possessed vocals, you know you are in for a treat. The main similarity with The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra is how percussion centered they both are, but this approach serves a different purpose in each case. This is not as straightforward or energetic as his 1962 album, it’s more atmospheric and outlandish instead. As the album progresses, you find yourself lost deeper and deeper into its weirdness, his willingness to experiment is commendable.
7.5/10.

Paul Bley - Footloose
One of the most interesting albums I’ve listened in quite some time and it’s hard to compare it with anything else, Paul Bley really has his own, highly distinct playing style. Everything moves in a slow, subtle, almost quiet manner. At the same time, there’s a blazing fire underneath, it feels as if it might explode at any moment. Also, it swings enough to keep you engaged, so it makes for a rather easy listen no matter if this kind of jazz is your thing. Making a note to myself that I should revisit this – my first impression is that not every track is a winner, so I definitely have to give it another try.
6.5/10.

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley's Beach Party
Second album I’ve listened by Bo Diddley so far and I’d say it’s a slight improvement. The live setting suits him, as his energy comes through in a more direct and effective way. He doesn’t need the great conveniences the studio has to offer, all his cares about is rocking as hard as he can and that’s enough to reach his audience. In his case, the less polished the better. There are a few instances where he might try something different. For example, Bo’s Waltz takes only a moment to relax and then comes back. Overall, it’s relentlessly wild and I appreciate that. Still, far from a favourite of mine.
6/10.

Nat King Cole - Where Did Everyone Go?
Generally speaking, I’m not a fan of this old-school “grand” – which has to do both with the vocal performance and the arrangements - jazz/pop style. When it comes to a Christmas album, it can work just fine – you have to look no further than the album of his that I posted the other day - but here it quite simply didn’t, these ballads had no power at all and they left me cold.
5.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/01/2022 23:26
  • Post subject:

Grant Green - Am I Blue
Second album by Grant Green I’ve listened so far. A bigger band this time, but the spirit is the same, minimal, slow and cool – the inclusion of the organ being the main responsible for the latter. Joe Henderson’s presence is always welcome, he’s got some nice parts, but they are hardly enough to make the difference. Overall, this felt like an inferior version of his 1961 album, Green Street, which I didn’t like that much to begin with. Green’s guitar is quite simply not for me – and we’ve already had a discussion regarding jazz and guitar in general, nothing to add in that regard.
5/10.

Elvis Presley - Elvis' Golden Records Volume 3
You know I’m allergic to the man, so I thought of skipping it altogether, but I try to give a chance to all of BEA’s high ranked albums. Maybe I’m in too good of a mood right now – the Christmas spirit, you know – but this was surprisingly decent compared to what I expected, I made it through without any difficulty.
5.5/10.

Gerry Mulligan - Night Lights
A very atmospheric album, chilling in a jazz club trying to escape the suffocating urban landscape – I mean, its title is rather indicative of its intentions. If you are a fan of Bill Evans, I’d say you should check it out. And it’s not only the piano, the entire band points to that direction, especially the guitar. The saxophone is probably the only exception and may feel slightly out of place at times, compromising the overall coolness by adding a soft and affectionate touch.
6.5/10.

Chris McGregor & The Castle Lager B...ican Sound
(Another great rec I got from Hayden’s charts)
Even though it can serve as an introduction to South African Jazz, it’s a balanced take on it and as a result it’s easy for any audience to connect with it, there’s something for anyone here. Apart from the obvious Afro-Jazz tradition that is apparent throughout, there’s an infectious joy running through it that takes us back to swing’s heyday – ‘30s and ‘40s – mixed with the energy and creativity of the next generation - think of guys like Charlie Parker - , while some parts offer a sense of serenity similar to Miles Davis at his best. Those are only the most basic points of reference, there’s much more to discover. Overall, wonderful stuff that I will definitely revisit.
8/10.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/02/2022 03:49
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:

Chris McGregor & The Castle Lager B...ican Sound
(Another great rec I got from Hayden’s charts)
8/10.

Cool

Yeah, that's a phenomenal record. Glad it got the reissue it did. If it hadn't, I might not have ever known of it.

Dudu Pukwana, one of the musicians who plays on it, is also in dire need of some reissues. He totally broke the mold of where South African jazz was going. He pivoted in the complete other direction— had collabs with Han Bennink, John Tchicai, John Stevens, Misha Mengelberg... I think a lot of his ideas ended up influencing Johnny Dyani's more experimental work.

Glad you gave it a go Smile Hoping more people do too.

Shame you didn't dig the Mississippi John Hurt songs... his '28 sessions (35 years prior!) are usually considered is opus, but I feel like that record stands out as a solid album. It isn't a comp or anything— it truly was this legend sitting down so many years after his 'prime' and out-of-nowhere whipping up some of the best delta blues tracks ever put on wax. It's a miracle it exists at all, the dude basically left the scene and had been a farmer for decades. These records are way cleaner/brighter/bigger than the previous, which might not be what the blues is all about, but it elevated the tracks nonetheless. The older, rougher voice suited his songs perfectly, and the playing is simply butter. What he could do on guitar inspired whoknowshowmany future musicians, and not just in the blues. His personality came through those notes so boldly... it's just, him. The versions of Avalon Blues, Salty Dog, and Candy Man Blues from that session are all staples.

RE: Gore
Quote:
The opening track stands head and shoulders above the rest of the albums, excellent song.
— Yeah. Great track. It's an okay/good album and all, but that's an absolute gem of the pop track.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/02/2022 20:31
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Dudu Pukwana, one of the musicians who plays on it, is also in dire need of some reissues. He totally broke the mold of where South African jazz was going. He pivoted in the complete other direction— had collabs with Han Bennink, John Tchicai, John Stevens, Misha Mengelberg... I think a lot of his ideas ended up influencing Johnny Dyani's more experimental work.

A few names I'm not familiar with, I might have to do a bit of research, nice!

Hayden wrote:
Shame you didn't dig the Mississippi John Hurt songs... his '28 sessions (35 years prior!) are usually considered is opus, but I feel like that record stands out as a solid album. It isn't a comp or anything— it truly was this legend sitting down so many years after his 'prime' and out-of-nowhere whipping up some of the best delta blues tracks ever put on wax. It's a miracle it exists at all, the dude basically left the scene and had been a farmer for decades. These records are way cleaner/brighter/bigger than the previous, which might not be what the blues is all about, but it elevated the tracks nonetheless. The older, rougher voice suited his songs perfectly, and the playing is simply butter. What he could do on guitar inspired whoknowshowmany future musicians, and not just in the blues. His personality came through those notes so boldly... it's just, him. The versions of Avalon Blues, Salty Dog, and Candy Man Blues from that session are all staples.

That's an enlightening comment on this legendary man, thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/02/2022 21:51
  • Post subject:

The Caravelles - You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry
Girl group and the ‘60s go hand in hand, so you know the competition is real, but this is a prime candidate for being my favourite of the bunch. Lovely pop music that may be characteristic of its time, but can just as easily be enjoyed today and you don’t even have to be a teenager, harmonies taken straight out of heaven and a touch of jazz that goes a long way.
7.5/10.

John Coltrane - Stardust
Coltrane is such a multidimensional artist that you never know what to expect. His lyrical side is always interesting and his ballads hit the spot more often than not, his tone is really on point here, soft and warm.
7.5/10.

Link Wray & The Wraymen - Jack The Ripper
More or less what I said about his 1960 album applies here as well. It sounds a bit dated, but he started the guitar hero archetype, which has to count for something, rock music – and punk and metal also - wouldn’t have been the same without him. Another thought I had while listening to it is that maybe this one lacks a bit in the energy department compared to his debut, which is an essential element of such records. I don’t see me returning to it, definitely just a one-off.
5/10.

The Everly Brothers - The Very Best Of ...y Brothers
A lovely collection of songs, though its problem is well-known: some of their big hits had to be re-recorded, meaning we miss the original versions. That being said, it’s impossible not to love any version of All I Have To Do Is Dream, which is undeniably one of the greatest songs of all time.
7/10.

Françoise Hardy - Le Premier Bonheur Du Jour
For some reason I liked it more than her debut. On the one hand, her music is mood dependent, so it might have to do with me and not the album itself. However, going beyond that observation, I’d say I found her performance slightly improved, she retains the youthful excitement, but shows a glimpse of maturity and seems to have more control and be more down to earth, which In turn allows her emotional side to grow and shine brighter.
7/10.
  • Visit poster's website