I'm going back to the start

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/03/2022 21:18
  • Post subject:

François Rabbath - The Sound Of A Bass
Now, that was something different. Maybe I’m overrating due to its surprise value, but who would have thought that a bass on its own – well, almost on its own, there’s also the drummer Armand Molinetti that deserves to be mentioned, his presence does go a long way, as he provides the foundation for François Rabbath and his bass to do their thing - can produce such a complete outcome. Highly creative playing style that rarely gets dull. At times it goes for a bigger sound, though it doesn’t need to create the impression of a full-size orchestra, it works just fine by itself.
8/10.

Louis Armstrong / Duke Ellington - The Great Reunion
I enjoyed this even more than their 1961 collaboration, which was already quite entertaining. This keeps the same spirit and raises the stakes higher, super fun all round, hanging with two top-tier legends simply can’t be bad.
6.5/10.

Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome
A live album that goes for a “gather around me, I have a story to tell” feel and uses it to full effect. It’s as if the concert isn’t being recorded, it’s only he and his friends, talking, singing and having the time of their lives. As you’d expect from me, I appreciated the humorous aspects more than the “serious” ones, sometimes he can get overly didactic, which isn't necessarily his fault, it's a trait that plagues the entire genre. Anyway, that's only a minor complaint, nothing too annoying. Make no mistake, he ain’t no Bob Dylan, but this is a fine example of ‘60s protest folk that shouldn’t be missed if you enjoy this kind of stuff.
7.5/10.

Lee Hazlewood - Trouble Is A Lonesome Town
Concept albums make for a rather challenging task and as a result can be hit or miss. For me, it’s usually the latter and this one was no exception. You know, it is fully immersed in country, both in terms of lyrical content and sound, which is perfectly understandable, but it’s not something I can get behind. However, coming up with a concept album in 1963 is quite something no matter what and I have to admit that the spoken word parts are quite cool. Also, We All Make The Flowers Grow is a gem, loved this song – maybe there were more hidden treasures, for example Look At That Woman, but by that point the album had lost me.
6/10.

George Anderson - Our Man In Africa
(You don’t need me to tell you, by now you should know it’s Hayden’s chart once again)
Clocking in at 24 minutes, this was a blast. I am not quite sure what was going on, but this artist managed to convince me it meant a lot to him. A few intense moments, though for the most part it settled on a comforting vibe, simple and effective.
7.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/04/2022 21:59
  • Post subject:

The Shadows - The Shadows' Greatest Hits
Cool stuff, essential surf rock – however, it’s not terribly one dimensional, e.g. Guitar Tango is a welcome change of pace - any guitar aficionado should love this. Lots of hits, as one would expect from a compilation, though I have to say I slightly prefer their 1961 album – see page 8, post 71.
6/10.

Dick Dale And His Del-Tones - King Of The Surf Guitar
Speaking of surf rock, here’s one more. Overall, I’d say they are equally good, you can’t go wrong with any of them. If I were forced to pick only one, I’d probably give the edge to this one. More exciting, more varied instrumentation, throwing a saxophone into the mix or adding an exotic touch – for example in Mexico - and of course this one has vocals, which may not be spectacular on their own, but they do feel necessary. On the other hand, The Shadows are closer to what one might call “pure” surf rock, so if you are in a nostalgic mood, I guess they would be the way to go.
6/10.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - The Dave Bru...negie Hall
Yeah, not a fan to be honest. None of their records has made it anywhere near my favourites, so their style may not be for me, though my problem when it comes to this one is clear: it doesn’t feel like a live album at all, it’s too tight, too technical, too calculated if you will. An impressive achievement, that’s beyond dispute, especially if you take into account how long each track is without losing focus for a single second – of course I would skip the drum solos without any hesitation - , but nothing I could connect with or wholeheartedly enjoy, sorry.
5/10.

Serge Gainsbourg - Confidentiel
His 1961 album was pleasant enough to make up for being slightly unconventional. This one’s even more eccentric, he gets lost in doing his thing – not sure how to describe “his thing” - and I as a listener feel left out.
5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/04/2022 22:00
  • Post subject:
This was the most disappointing streak of albums in quite some time, maybe a warning that my time with 1963 is coming to an end. There’s a chance that something catches my eye and makes me stay a bit longer, but it will probably be 10 or so more albums before I move on. Always open to any suggestions.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/09/2022 21:52
  • Post subject:

Glen Tomasetti - Folk Songs With Guitar
Coming straight from Australia, Glen Tomasetti – a highly influential figure, considering that, apart from a singer/songwriter, she also was a pioneer in the field of political activism – offers us a lovely collection of typical ‘60s folk songs. This is an album from a long gone era, its mood is heavily nostalgic, listening to it feels like celebrating the lost innocence – When I Was Single is a prime example. I also liked her performance, she’s got a recognisable and intriguing style without being too weird – something that happens with, say, Joan Baez.
7.5/10.

Ahmad Jamal - Poinciana
Piano, drums and bass isn’t exactly my favourite lineup, neither is cool jazz my favourite jazz sub-genre. Taking those factors into account, that’s a fine effort. Ahmad Jamal’s playing style might strike you as attention seeking, but that’s totally justifiable, as he is colourful and creative enough to more than make up for it – though sometimes he is too classy for my liking, I prefer him at his most joyful instead.
7/10.

Rufus Thomas - Walking The Dog
This album is pure joy. One of the most unpretentious and unapologetic albums you’ll ever encounter, it’s all about the fun - and funk as well. I originally intended to come up with a better wordplay using fun and funk, but couldn’t work it out, whatever. I ‘m probably overrating it a bit, but I’ve always vibed with records that don’t take themselves too seriously.
7/10.

Jan & Dean - Drag City
On a similar note, the more humorous – I mean, that’s a car album, you know it’s gonna be fun - version of The Beach Boys is quite something. Based on what I’ve listened so far – admittedly not much- , this has to be Jan&Dean's best effort. Schlock Rod stands out, that’s some next level… not sure how to call it, but it’s definitely next level!
7.5/10.

Martha And The Vandellas - Heat Wave
I’ve never found their hit Heat Wave particularly great so I thought the rest of the album would be even more forgettable. Well, for the most part that’s true. A few decent songs, but Girl Group of this era set the bar quite high and they can’t keep up with the competition.
6/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/10/2022 21:24
  • Post subject:

Aretha Franklin - Laughing On The Outside
Well, Aretha is a legend, but I have to say this isn't her most inspiring record. Nothing against her performance (obviously), but the songs fall short of the mark more often than not, she deserves more.
7/10.

Luiz Bonfá - Plays And Sings Bossa Nova
That’s another massively influential figure in the field of bossa nova, this era seems to be full of them. His approach is interesting, passionate but also very delicate, I guess it should appeal to fans of classical music.
6.5/10.

The Searchers - Sugar And Spice
I’m not sure if Sugar and Spice is a deserved title, it’s definitely sweet but I have my doubts regarding spicy. Compared to other similar groups of the early ‘60s, they are closer to pop than rock – to put it another way, they do try to rock, it simply doesn’t suit them as much. Nothing extremely exciting, nothing terrible either. On the other hand, it has to be said that coming up with a second album shortly after their debut is quite a challenge for any band.
7/10.

The Searchers - Meet The Searchers
Speaking of their debut, here we go. This, in my opinion, is clearly better. The opening track is a monster hit and the song selection in general is more natural, closer to their style, their soft, sweet, melodic style combined with their youthful energy come through and grab the listener.
7.5/10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/10/2022 22:12
  • Post subject:
Well, that’s all for 1963. The obvious omissions are of course Please, Please Me and With The Beatles. I absolutely adore those guys, so my first thought was to follow the Mingus/Dylan route and go for a countdown presentation of their discography. On the other hand, it’s hard to believe there’s anything of substance left to be said about them, they have to be the most heavily discussed band ever. Also, considering that their studio albums wouldn’t be enough for that project, I’d have to include some of their solo efforts as well, which means I’d have to stop the ‘60s exploration for quite some time. So, I’d appreciate a comment from anyone following the diary, would you people be more interested in hearing for the 1,000th time how fabulous the Fab Four were or would getting straight into 1964 and discovering its treasures be preferable?
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/11/2022 22:05
  • Post subject:
And here's the 1963 chart.
Way more entries than usual, not sure if it was such a great year or I loosened up.

(Still haven't made up my mind regarding The Beatles, I'll probably get 1964 going and think about it along the way.)
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/12/2022 21:49
  • Post subject:
So, I listened to Drums Of Passion by Olatunji as part of the "Get To Know A Top 10" game. Apparently it came out in 1960 – I thought it was a bit older – meaning I can add it to my 1960 chart, where it gets the #1 spot.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/12/2022 22:10
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
meaning I can add it to my 1960 chart, where it gets the #1 spot.

Yet another album that has entered a different decade Laughing

(I always thought it was a '59 release— looks like the data is conflicting). Looks like BEA changed it a few days ago.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/13/2022 19:09
  • Post subject:
I don't think I've ever gone through the whole Beatles discography, nevermind the solo stuff. Not the biggest fan, I guess. I agree that everything's been said about them already, but the same is true for Dylan, and that project was a lot of fun. I do generally like your full discog project a lot, so maybe I'm biased Laughing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website