View previous topic :: View next topic
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 05/03/2021 18:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Fun facts / Stats—
—Minari was not placed at #1 on anyone's personal lists

Is this a first? Minari was a good film but did not strike me that much. It's great but not powerful enough for me. I thought Soul or I’m Thinking of Ending Things would be #1

I think the list is great overall. Didn't expect Days & This Is Not a Resurrection.... & Metamorphosis.. A trio of wonderful films.

Once again, thanks for yet another greak work Hayden! Glad that year/season is over.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/03/2021 19:42
  • Post subject:
jnfbn wrote:
Is this a first? Minari was a good film but did not strike me that much. It's great but not powerful enough for me. I thought Soul or I’m Thinking of Ending Things would be #1

I believe so. Interestingly, Sound of Metal wasn't anyone's #1 either. They just both happened to appear very high on nearly every list. Minari was a top ten staple for pretty much everyone, but never at the top. When I was picking what film to use for the banner I chose Minari because I was of similar mind. Figured it'd place high, but not #1. I think it's a fantastic outcome though. Slightly unexpected but very deserving. I hadn't expected a runaway at all this year, figured things would be rather close. Biggest surprise for me was how high The Vast of Night, Bad Education, and Colectiv landed. Wasn't expecting top 20 for any of them, but I'm glad they made it.

Personally, I'm super happy with this list. It's great (and not just the films on it, but the order they're in). Palm Springs in the top five is fantastic, and American Utopia landing the top ten is also great to see. Maybe Shiva Baby could have been a bit higher and Mank and Tenet could have been a bit lower, but otherwise.

Eight entries here I haven't seen, and four of them weren't on my radar at all going into this. Highest is The Invisible Man. Hoping to get around to it sometime soon.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/03/2021 21:52
  • Post subject:
Minari vs Soul was a coin toss decision for my number 1, if that means anything. I found it really striking, peaceful and beautiful, so glad it won (even over Soul).

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2021 04:53
  • Post subject:
Minari at #1, by such a wide margin...wow. Not disappointed, just surprised. Unless I'm blind, I didn't see any discourse about Minari on the previous threads. I don't recall even seeing a casual compliment. I don't think there's anything extraordinary about it, hence 0 #1 placements. But okay, it's a solid film that everyone invisibly, non-verbally agreed on. It placed #15 on mine. I was expecting the results to somewhat reflect the streaming services. Given 2020 was a year mostly without theaters, I figured the results would be top-heavy for the popular services. And for the most part, they were. Many Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, Disney Plus and Hulu films towards the top. This makes it even more head-scratching to me that Minari would land at #1. It wasn't streaming anywhere so how did participants watch it? VOD? Pirate? Theater? Personally, my local theater reopened just a few weeks ago and happened to be showing it, so that's where/how I caught it. Then again, LA was one the last cities to reopen so maybe I was in the bubble too long. Still, I thought for sure Soul would take #1 on this list based on all the love it received in earlier threads, and the popularity of the Disney+ service.

Anyway, I'm happy with the results. I'm especially happy Beanpole placed higher than Tenet (piece of shit) .
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2021 12:41
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Minari at #1, by such a wide margin...wow. Not disappointed, just surprised. Unless I'm blind, I didn't see any discourse about Minari on the previous threads. I don't recall even seeing a casual compliment. I don't think there's anything extraordinary about it, hence 0 #1 placements. But okay, it's a solid film that everyone invisibly, non-verbally agreed on. It placed #15 on mine. I was expecting the results to somewhat reflect the streaming services. Given 2020 was a year mostly without theaters, I figured the results would be top-heavy for the popular services. And for the most part, they were. Many Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, Disney Plus and Hulu films towards the top. This makes it even more head-scratching to me that Minari would land at #1. It wasn't streaming anywhere so how did participants watch it? VOD? Pirate? Theater? Personally, my local theater reopened just a few weeks ago and happened to be showing it, so that's where/how I caught it. Then again, LA was one the last cities to reopen so maybe I was in the bubble too long. Still, I thought for sure Soul would take #1 on this list based on all the love it received in earlier threads, and the popularity of the Disney+ service.

Anyway, I'm happy with the results. I'm especially happy Beanpole placed higher than Tenet (piece of shit) .

Like others, I'm also surprised Minari ended up at #1. I unfortunately haven't gotten around to watching it yet but it was my most anticipated film going into award season. Alas, like you said CA Dreamin, I wasn't able to get my hands on it, and theaters still haven't opened up yet in my area.

Based on the conversations in the poll thread (and maybe on my own biases), I was surprised Soul didn't take #1. Glad that and American Utopia ended up in the top 10 though.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/04/2021 15:26
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

Based on the conversations in the poll thread (and maybe on my own biases), I was surprised Soul didn't take #1. Glad that and American Utopia ended up in the top 10 though.

Soul landed the most #1s, but at the end of the day it wasn't on as many charts as I think people were expecting (well... or as I was expecting anyway). Maybe that's what happened when they were concocting the nominations for best picture Razz

Quote:
Anyway, I'm happy with the results. I'm especially happy Beanpole placed higher than Tenet

Yeah, as much as I wanted Tenet to be good, I just... didn't enjoy it. And as much as it was the 'big stunt', I didn't even think the airplane scene was that cool. Thought the film was a bit of a shame tbh, and easily Nolan's weakest effort. Almost felt like something imitating Nolan.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/04/2021 15:52
  • Post subject:
I should also note Hopkins and McDormand were comfortably at #1 in our acting choices before their (somewhat surprise) Oscar wins.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2021 17:30
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:

Soul landed the most #1s, but at the end of the day it wasn't on as many charts as I think people were expecting (well... or as I was expecting anyway). Maybe that's what happened when they were concocting the nominations for best picture Razz

Makes sense, that might also explain why Tenet and The Invisible Man placed as high as they did. I feel like those were really the only 2 big/blockbuster releases in 2020, or at least the only 2 I ever saw any sort of advertising for. For what it's worth, I didn't actually watch either, just saw a lot of ads and some mediocre reviews.
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/07/2021 15:46
  • Post subject:
Huge props to Youn Yuh-jung. Without question the most deserved win of any category this year (this poll and all proper awards as well)

I debated between Minari and Another Round for #1, and finally settled on Another Round. Happy to see it so high too (and Mads for acting! Excellent)
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/07/2021 15:49
  • Post subject:
Also, in defense of Tenet, I really enjoyed it. It's a heap better than Interstellar and The Dark Knight Rises.
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website