Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2021 18:46
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

Does it deserve to be in the book?: As much as I think that half of these tracks tracks suck, the other half are fantastic and are a big piece in the story of pop music history. So yeah, the best selling album ever deserves to be in the book.

Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 06/09/2021 19:05
  • Post subject:
Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to the next album on the list, though I'm curious why their other -arguably even better- record that came out the very same year wasn't included.
Also, even though the albums you've covered so far aren't of any particular interest to me, it has to be said you've done a great job with all of them.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2021 19:26
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to the next album on the list, though I'm curious why their other -arguably even better- record that came out the very same year wasn't included.
Also, even though the albums you've covered so far aren't of any particular interest to me, it has to be said you've done a great job with all of them.

Who are you speaking of? Like who had an arguably better album come out the same year?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 06/09/2021 19:33
  • Post subject:
Apologies for any confusion, I meant Orange Juice.
The list includes Rip It Up instead of You Can't Hide Your Love Forever.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2021 20:15
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, It's been a while since I've listened to either of those 2 albums in full, but I've always preferred their debut. I'm gonna listen to both in order for perspective, and because they're awesome. The book is full of head-scratching decisions.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2021 15:51
  • Post subject:
Mecca Lecca Listens to
Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
before he dies

Rip It Up by Orange Juice

Year: 1982
BEA Overall Rank: 4,937
BEA Year Rank: 77

What the book says: "Orange Juice we part of the early 1980s scene that their original label, Postcard celebrated as "The Sound of Young Scotland." The influential indie band's style was earnest, lovelorn, witty, naive, and soulful, and with this album, they would reach their commercial peak."

My assessment: Opening up with the band's biggest success, "Rip It Up," the album of the same name couldn't possibly open more strongly. It's apparently the first charting single to feature the Roland TB-303 synthesizer. It's a sound that immediately draws a line of separation from their debut, You Can't Hide Your Love Forever, which was released just earlier in the same year. Following an album that perfected janglepop, and few lineup changes, the follow-up by Edwyn Collins and co is undeniably more ambitious and adventurous, incorporating synths and drawing from Caribbean rhythms, disco and blue-eyed soul. It's less direct and instantly rewarding than their debut, but it's brilliant nonetheless. I've generally always preferred You Can't Hide Your Love Forever, but listening to them back to back today I'm reconsidering. Either way, they're both incredible

Does it deserve to be in the book?: An Orange Juice album from 82 deserves to be in this book. That this is the one they chose doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Favorite tracks: Rip It Up, I Can't Help Myself, Flesh of My Flesh

Link

• Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2021 17:07
  • Post subject:
Mecca Lecca Listens to
Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
before he dies

1999 by Prince

BEA Overall Rank: 506
BEA Year Rank: 6

What the book says: "No surprise to anyone who had heard 1980's Dirty Mind. The real revelation of 1999 was Prince alchemizing his shameless steals from other artists into a template of his own. The mechanical beats and treated voices are not a million miles from Funkadelic's The Electric Spanking of War Babies—but Prince had the songs to match the sonic trickery."

My assessment: It's been far too long since I've listened to this full record. Prince was just on another level during this period. Opening with the insane 1-2-3 combo of 1999, Little Red Corvette, and Delirious, the energy and quality are set to a level that seems impossible to maintain, but then it never lets up. Let's Pretend We're Married is another catchy party funk anthem. Automatic is like funkified Kraftwerk. Free isn't quite "Nothing Compares 2 U", but it's a tight ballad with some killer guitar work. "Lady Cab Driver" and "All the Critics Love U in New York" bring back the party funk, before the showstopping ballad "International Lover" drops the curtain.

Does it deserve to be in the book?: Absolutely. And unlike Thriller, 1999's legacy goes way beyond the singles.

Favorite tracks: Delirious, 1999, International Lover

Link

• Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2021 13:03
  • Post subject:
For the 2nd time in under a week, I've been blindsided by death. This morning I found out that my brother's longtime bandmate died. We're still not sure how. It's very surreal. A decade ago they put out this little record on my short-lived label. I still think it's a pretty excellent indie/slowcore record. RIP Mike.

Winter by Hølas

https://holas.bandcamp.com/album/winter
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2021 15:49
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
For the 2nd time in under a week, I've been blindsided by death. This morning I found out that my brother's longtime bandmate died. We're still not sure how. It's very surreal. A decade ago they put out this little record on my short-lived label. I still think it's a pretty excellent indie/slowcore record. RIP Mike.

Crying or Very sad

Sending prayers and love your way, brother.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2021 18:06
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

The Lexicon Of Love by ABC

BEA Overall Rank: 1,245

It's good to be starting with an album I'm not exceptionally familiar with. From the start Lexicon of Love instantly takes me back to the early 80s. With this over the top, polished production, and early synthesizers, there's just no other time period that produced this auditory aesthetic. Every moment I'm ready to write it off as over-produced schlocky disco synth pop, there's just enough happening musically that I get pulled in. It's just such a conflicting record. Few other synth pop records were so ambitious with their composition, but it's also the synthetic orchestral flourishes that rub me the wrong way while listening. The killer funky bass provides memorable moments throughout the record. I can see this sounding as fresh in 1982 as it sounds dated in 2021.

If this album came on at a party, I could get down with it, but I can't connect with it on an emotional level to consider it essential listening

Great review, Mecca. All valid points. Been listening to it since you posted this and just have to add that I think it's AWESOME and probably one of the best New Romantic albums. Now I have to start listening to that Associates album. lol.
  • Visit poster's website