ALC #17: Pool

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2021 21:35
  • Post subject:
Honestly, this might be better than Compro. Didn't realized Skee Mask released a new album. And while I need a couple more listens to verify, this is so far my favorite album for 2021. A record that is quite colorful, exotic, very nuanced and just feels like a record for the summertime of relaxing at a futuristic resort and by the night time you will get your friends to play some classic video games. Though, that Sweet Trip record could give this album a run for its money. If there was a complaint for the album, it would be how some of the track end a bit abruptly. If those tracks had that clean ending, this would be a 100. But as of now it is a 95 but is in that strong 9 to a potential 10.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 06/02/2021 20:20
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Yeah I think I listened to this 3 times and it just didn't jive with me. Unfortunately I just found it incredibly boring.

Thanks for sharing this though, no way I would've listened if it weren't ALC.

Exactly what happened with me as well, the only difference being I listened to it 2 instead of 3 times.
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 07/26/2021 22:48
  • Post subject:
not sure why I had initially passed on this one given that I've liked what I've heard from Skee Mask in the past, but needless to say a Jimmy cosign is more than enough reason to check anything out, and yeah unsurprisingly this is almost certainly the best thing I've heard from him to date. latter half of this album is when things especially pick up for me, with some of the noisier and more mind-bendy tracks occupying that bit, but also the opening half of the album is just plain ol hypnotic in the best sort of way, if not entirely groundbreaking. it's a solid strategy, lull you in with the more like ambient dub type shit and then hit you with the breakbeat techno. listened to it twice, once more focused and once just kind of in the background and really enjoyed it in both contexts for entirely different reasons. feels very throwbacky in that it brings me back to my all-Warp-all-the-time phase, so that was a fun nostalgia trip. not sure I'll still be thinking about this album in 5 years time but very glad to have heard it all the same