Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/02/2021 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3818): London Calling by The Clash
Today's album of the day

London Calling by The Clash (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1979.
Overall rank: 18
Average rating: 87/100 (from 2886 votes).

Tracks:
1. London Calling
2. Brand New Cadillac
3. Jimmy Jazz
4. Hateful
5. Rudie Can't Fail
6. Spanish Bombs
7. The Right Profile
8. Lost In The Supermarket
9. Clampdown
10. The Guns Of Brixton
11. Wrong 'Em Boyo
12. Death Or Glory
13. Koka Kola
14. The Card Cheat
15. Lover's Rock
16. Four Horsemen
17. I'm Not Down
18. Revolution Rock
19. Train In Vain [Hidden Track]

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 06/02/2021 20:32
  • Post subject:
overrated.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 06/03/2021 02:52
  • Post subject:
Very boring, and about 8 tracks too long. One of the most overrated albums in music history. It's funny that there's a song called "Lost in the Supermarket" because a supermarket is exactly where I expect to hear an album like this.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2021 02:57
  • Post subject:
One of the greatest albums ever made by humans. Lol, aren't all albums as far as we know made by humans? dumb thing to say. But the point is this is one of the al=bsolutre greatest ever. Just to be annoying and get personal: This album completely changed my life when I first heard it in about 2001. For a solid 10 years it was my undisputed favorite album ever. It is just a masterpiece.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/03/2021 03:30
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
overrated.
LordMark wrote:
Very boring

Wait until I tell you about Arctic Monkeys
Whistle

Mercury wrote:
Lol, aren't all albums as far as we know made by humans?

My Teenage Dream Ended by Farrah Abraham

oh contraire mon ami.

Anyway, this is the album that I happen to wake up every morning staring at. It's front of the line in a crate I have in my room. That's about all I can add at this point. A lot has been said.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/03/2021 13:17
  • Post subject:
I did not like this one too much when I was a teenager. Wasn't punk enough, had a lot of filler etc. Liked 4-5 songs, and even The Guns of Brixton was just a "cool song" at the time. The older I am the more I like it, especially Guns of Brixton, which is probably contrary to how most people feel. Now I'm at a point where I don't think there's any filler here at all. I did overplay the title track and Train in Vain though, they're the least favourites of the bunch.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
seb7

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2021 18:30
  • Post subject:
I grew up on the Clash. My mom was super into them and a lot of other english punk and ska bands. In 1979, when she was just 12, she bought an original issue of London Calling, which I still regularly spin. Awesome album!

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=63102
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 06/03/2021 18:57
  • Post subject:
I'm used to being surrounded by punk aficionados and being the odd one out, so to see the hostile reception of the first two posts makes me something of a fish out of water.
Anyway, since everyone's taking a trip down memory lane, here's my experience with it: I had already decided punk isn't for me when I stumbled on this album, it must have been like a decade ago, I can't recall exactly. My initial reaction was to give it a pass, but then I noticed it has a track named Lost In The Supermarket. Considering that the narrative of one of my absolute favourite songs of all time involves a supermarket, I thought that was a good enough reason to check it out. And you know, I don't think I'll revisit it any time soon, but it wasn't that bad, I could see it sneaking in to my top-100 of 1979. Its defining characteristic is that it isn't as monotonous as pretty much every punk record of its time and despite featuring an intimidating running time, it displays a wide spectrum of sounds that justifies its length.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2021 19:28
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
I did not like this one too much when I was a teenager. Wasn't punk enough, had a lot of filler etc.

This is similar to my initial listen to the album. I loved the first two tracks but then was totally thrown off by Jimmy Jazz. I stopped after Lost in the Supermarket because I thought it was a dumb concept for a song.

Today I love it for all the reasons I didn't appreciate it then. So many different styles that, while not true representations of those genres, are mixed very well into an extremely British punk sound. If I could ditch some tracks I'd throw out Four Horseman and maybe The Card Cheat, but I love the rest of it. Train in Vain is my easy favorite but I feel like a lot of the songs at the end - Lover's Rock, I'm Not Down, and Revolution Rock - don't get enough love. "Get that cheese grater going!" is one of my favorite moments on the album.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 06/08/2021 16:51
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
I'm used to being surrounded by punk aficionados and being the odd one out, so to see the hostile reception of the first two posts makes me something of a fish out of water.
Anyway, since everyone's taking a trip down memory lane, here's my experience with it: I had already decided punk isn't for me when I stumbled on this album, it must have been like a decade ago, I can't recall exactly. My initial reaction was to give it a pass, but then I noticed it has a track named Lost In The Supermarket. Considering that the narrative of one of my absolute favourite songs of all time involves a supermarket, I thought that was a good enough reason to check it out. And you know, I don't think I'll revisit it any time soon, but it wasn't that bad, I could see it sneaking in to my top-100 of 1979. Its defining characteristic is that it isn't as monotonous as pretty much every punk record of its time and despite featuring an intimidating running time, it displays a wide spectrum of sounds that justifies its length.

Is the song in question Common People?

Anyway, goat album

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website