Round 1: Clipping. v. The Orb

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Please listen to both albums in full before voting, then choose your favorite.
Visions Of Bodies Being Burned by Clipping.
60%
 60%  [14]
Abolition Of The Royal Familia by The Orb
39%
 39%  [9]
Total Votes : 23

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2021 22:27
  • Post subject: Round 1: Clipping. v. The Orb
Seed #8:

Visions Of Bodies Being Burned by Clipping.

Nominated by: DrewHamster
Genres [RYM]: Horrorcore, Industrial Hip Hop, Experimental Hip Hop

Seed #25:

Abolition Of The Royal Familia by The Orb

Nominated by: Luigii
Genres [RYM]: Ambient House

Instructions:

If you have not already, please listen to both albums in full before voting. Share your thoughts and/or your vote in this thread. This poll will be tallied in no fewer than twenty-eight days. See Tournament Spreadsheet for the full bracket.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 06/28/2021 23:21
  • Post subject:
Well, it is time to explain my pick for a bit. The Orb is one of those acts that if you only venture through there classic period of the 90's and only that, you would be missing out on some killer material. Another album from them that I would highly recommend would be there 2015 album Moonbuilding 2703 A.D. But I'm not going to talk about that album. I'm going to talk about there recent album for the time since they have a collab record out this year. But for the no spoilers for this album, while the descriptor for this is ambient house. The record doesn't stick to that for the duration of its run time. It actually dabbles into other genres. As well as having a through line with its collaborators since they have worked with some big names in those particular fields of music. Then I could say that there are cues that lead to the tail end of the album. A particular line from the second track actually foreshadows what happens on the second to last track of the album. Or how most of the album transitions from track to track. And while I still have a good chunk of The Orb's discography, I feel like this album has a globe trotting feeling to it. There are emotional highs that over throws there best work and strike an emotional chord. And sounds one of the most meticulous records for electronic music. Now even though I would give this a 100. I don't think it is a "perfect" 100. I would say a few details within the album that don't hit a complete bullseye, or how the music video for the opener for Daze quite bites and is pretty corny. But this one of those records that just has a lot of care to it and even when knowing what the journey is, I'm still enamored by it. And is so far in the running for one of the best albums for 2020 and the decade at large in the moment.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 07/01/2021 19:10
  • Post subject:
I find it puzzling that Visions Of Bodies Being Burned is - according to RYM - the best hip hop album to have come out in 2020, but Abolition Of The Royal Familia is one of those albums I will never get no matter how hard I try. There are quite a few great or at least noteworthy ideas hidden in it, but they seem to endlessly drag without moving towards any particular direction.
Visions Of Bodies Being Burned gets my vote.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2021 19:50
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
I find it puzzling that Visions Of Bodies Being Burned is - according to RYM - the best hip hop album to have come out in 2020, but Abolition Of The Royal Familia is one of those albums I will never get no matter how hard I try. There are quite a few great or at least noteworthy ideas hidden in it, but they seem to endlessly drag without moving towards any particular direction.
Visions Of Bodies Being Burned gets my vote.

I don't know. While I would give a sense of understanding that some tracks could be a bit shorter. The twelve minute Weekend It Rained Forever is probably the culprit of that argument. I don't agree that these songs drag without going anywhere. Or that the destination isn't rewarding.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 07/01/2021 21:32
  • Post subject:
Actually went back and gave it a second listen, but not much changed, still don't get it, sorry. My opinion remains that, despite liking some parts of it, it could have been more focused and as a result doesn't fully justify its length.
Then again, as you might notice by my comments on other matchups, electronic music is not exactly my cup of tea, so such an album has a tougher time maintaining my interest compared to the average listener.
Anyway, I'm glad you - and hopefully many more - enjoyed it.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2021 21:40
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Actually went back and gave it a second listen, but not much changed, still don't get it, sorry. My opinion remains that, despite liking some parts of it, it could have been more focused and as a result doesn't fully justify its length.
Then again, as you might notice by my comments on other matchups, electronic music is not exactly my cup of tea, so such an album has a tougher time maintaining my interest compared to the average listener.
Anyway, I'm glad you - and hopefully many more - enjoyed it.

Thank you for the kind words. If your ever curious for electronic music, let me know. Always around on this site.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 07/02/2021 09:49
  • Post subject:
Wow! I did not expect a 1993 spoken word piece by Jello Biafra to get The Orb treatment (the closing track).

Link

Abolition Of The Royal Familia served its purpose in terms of losing me in the music for a while, and I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would, but Visions Of Bodies Being Burned was one of my top albums of 2020. Clipping. for me.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2021 18:23
  • Post subject:
The Orb album was solid, but as with most of their music, it gets a little boring when listening in large doses. I think if it was a little shorter I might've liked it better.

That said, it would've taken a lot to defeat the Clipping. album, that was fantastic and one of my favorite hip hop releases of 2020.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2021 19:17
  • Post subject:
This is one of my two major dissents for the tourney. The Clipping was straight up intolerable. I may give it another go to see if anything clicks, but I can't see voting for it against just about anything.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/14/2021 08:16
  • Post subject:
Why did I not listen to this Orb album earlier? It was on my radar, but just sitting in the queue the whole time. Anyways it’s absolutely exquisite, the only complaint I have is the aforementioned length of a few tracks. 77 minutes is not that long for an ambient house/dub album, but it still could’ve been slightly shorter. Apart from that, around top 30 of the year. ”GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS ENGLAND GOAL!”

That being said, my vote goes to Clipping since it’s one of the top albums I’ve heard last year. Upgraded version of their 2019 effort, several of the songs here are among my most played for 2020, and Enlacing might be song of the year for me.

Scratch that comment on Red Sun Throught Smoke vs Source. This one is the best matchup this round.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website