Olympics 2020

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/27/2021 15:07
  • Post subject: Olympics 2020
Anyone watching? Patiently awaiting Ireland's first medal, we don't win many so it's a big deal here, but we've a few decent rowers, boxers, sailers and one gymnast.

We've 31 medals ever, with only 9 gold (3 of which are shrouded in controversy...).

Been enjoying a good mix of all sports so far.

• Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/28/2021 13:09
  • Post subject:
We're doing pretty well. We got the now traditional medal in judo (silver this time), two medals, gold and bronze, in cycling (Roglič and Pogačar - who won the Tour de France again this year), another gold in the slalom canoe, and Dončić went god mode vs Argentina and casually dropped 48 points. Curious to see how far we can go there.

Otherwise not as interested as I used to be, but I'll keep an eye on a few competitions for sure
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2021 13:41
  • Post subject:
Skateboarding has been very interesting to watch. They've done a good job of making it a very exciting event while maintaining stark differences from the X-Games events. Highlight of the games so far.

Also incredibly disappointed in some of the US men's teams, our basketball squad is straight up embarrassing this year. Most of the team women's sports we're good at continue to be great, with the exception of the gymnastics squad.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 07/28/2021 13:55
  • Post subject:

LESGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/28/2021 15:05
  • Post subject:
Glad to see people are enjoying it, we're still working from home (second dose this week) so it's a good opportunity to have it on in the background and watch away as I work, so I'm catching a lot of all sorts of sports, been enjoying the 3x3 basketball as someone with generally no interest in the sport usually and we had the France-US game on Irish tv the other day (we have a mental basketball commentator that they roll out for the Olympics every 4 years so that's generally the only time we catch it, just not very big here).

Ireland's first medal (bronze) came in rowing last night, reckon we're shoe-ins for 2 more, real shot at a gold too, rowing's popularity is really rocketing up these days, a few of our boxers are looking good too and our swimmers have started to look more promising than ever before (well since Atlanta '96, but no one really mentions that any more...).

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/28/2021 15:33
  • Post subject:
I'm not a skateboarder/into skateboarding or anything (think I've ridden one twice), but I dug the street competition. (Sure, the Canadian showed up fell seven times and left, but otherwise). Just felt like a whole bunch of friends hanging out having a good time and at the end a few of them got medals. Hope they continue with it. Looking forward to park.

Rooting for the Canadian football team too. Think they might just pull this off.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/29/2021 00:05
  • Post subject:
What's the "weirdest" sport you've watched so far? I'm suddenly into canoeing slalom, it's actually almost as interesting as skiing. Apart from that Judo is incredibly dull to watch (it's because I don't understand the rules, not because we didn't get the bronze in the women's under 70kg), Taekwondo is surprisingly a lot of fun, Olympic boxing is cool, gymnastics are nuts and, traditionally, water polo and handball are exciting (not sure if those two are exotic, maybe for the US audience).

Need to watch some skateboarding highlights, they don't show any on the national TV. But I'm happy to report that Croatia has won a gold and a bronze in Taekwondo and is guaranteed a silver and a gold in men's tennis doubles in an all Croatian finals. Rooting for Mektić/Pavić duo, my brother knows Mektić's brother Mr. Green

Edit: Also Sinković brothers have won a gold, again. They keep switching between coxless pair and the usual doubles, they have an Olympic gold in each event now. Add rowing to the list of weird sports I enjoy at the Olympics.

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 07/29/2021 09:47; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2021 00:13
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Rooting for the Canadian football team too. Think they might just pull this off.

Isn't it called soccer in Canada? Canadian football is its own sport.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 07/29/2021 02:30
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

On a related note, the Canadian women are impressive. All of our medals are from them.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/31/2021 20:37
  • Post subject:
We got a gold so the country's buzzing! Rowing again, bringing us to a grand total of 10 7 golds ever (we don't talk about Michelle Smith, even though she's bringing herself back into the media lately...).

Guaranteed at least one more medal with the boxing and gonna stay up late tonight in the hope we can guarantee another few boxing medals, high hopes for McClenaghan in the pommel horse tomorrow and McIlroy and Lowry are high up in the golf, may stumble upon a medal in the sailing or equestrian stuff but that's probably it for us, possibly our most successful Olympics ever if we pull a few of those off (think 6 medals at London is probably our peak).

• Visit poster's website