What are you reading lately?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/23/2023 20:07
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
bygone BEA forum drama...

This thread's come a long way off books, but I completely support Gowi and Applerill in that lived experience of marginalized people absolutely essentially needs to be listened to and not portrayed as an equal "argument" against people who wish them ostracized or harmed or worse.

I agree that we should listen to the lived experience marginalised groups. That’s the most important point of all. But what do we do if we hear some members of marginalised groups preaching harm and hatred to individuals or other marginalised groups? Should we never stand up to this and ask why?
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2023 21:08
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:

This thread's come a long way off books, but I completely support Gowi and Applerill in that lived experience of marginalized people absolutely essentially needs to be listened to and not portrayed as an equal "argument" against people who wish them ostracized or harmed or worse.

I agree that we should listen to the lived experience marginalised groups. That’s the most important point of all. But what do we do if we hear some members of marginalised groups preaching harm and hatred to individuals or other marginalised groups? Should we never stand up to this and ask why?

…What violence am I practicing towards marginalized groups?

Don’t say women, because that in itself is transphobic in its assumption that Gowi and I aren’t women. Don’t say Harry Potter fans either, even if the term sometimes seems like a synonym for “older millennial”.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/23/2023 21:34
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

I don't remember anytime when users here were saying we need to give Rowling equal voice or respect for her bigotry in contrast to the voices of the Trans community. I guess Blueboy not being full convinced of her transphobia came across as defending her in some sort even if he was genuinely unaware of the depths of a lot of her not-so-cryptic takes on gender, and I certainly have little doubt of her views on the subject as it fits very much into the dog-whistle-through-a-bellhorn TERF exclusionary rhetoric, but again I think there were some better ways to handle that. Again my problem has been moreso the small vocal minority online have shown their opposition to Rowling have handled the release of Harry Potter IP by taking it out on the consumer strawman, regardless of whatever views they've actually shown, and no Marginalized Status does not make it okay for personal attacks or borderline sketchy harrasment campaigns. And (hold the fuck on) I did not say that put them anywhere near the level of Rowling & those she now pals around with. Now Gowi and Applerill weren't doing that here (well I mean Applerill was just being Applerill, it's kind of live and let live at this point) and clearly much of it is born about the entirely understandable issue that letting Rowling in some shape or form back into a visibile, mainstream space can cause problems even if she's just "there in spirit", but I can still see how it also negatively came across as if there were declerations that Blueboy was either supporting Rowling's politics automatically by his consumption of Harry Potter or that he was feigning ignorance to knowledge about her transphobic views- which my time around his forums he has always come across as a very sincere person. Again, there are always better ways of communication if you want to try and get people who aren't in your lived experience to fully see your side of things.

Last edited by cestuneblague on 03/23/2023 22:11; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/23/2023 21:45
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
EyeKanFly wrote:

I would need to go through this thread again but I don't remember when they were doing that? Again I did have issue with the social media reaction to Hogwarts: Legacy, but even in retrospect that was just the usual Twitter drama of calling anybody you have a problem with a bigot and at least attempting to do a public shaming list of users who played the game, (which admittedly is a really shady way of making people vulnerable to harrassment and possibly doxxing), but not really outward bigotry, especially based on personal identity. Even here at worse was just a case of some aggressive false-equivilancy politics and Applerill doing the usual neversurewhenserious Trolling.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/23/2023 21:56
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
lol "aggression" "perversion"

Pro Tip: Trust multiply marginalized people about the things that make us worry for our safety. We know much more about our lived experience than you do, and expressing fragility for being called out just centers your cisness instead of focusing on what's ultimately a life-or-death situation between me and Gowi.

Well, then find a firm but eloquent way to express your concerns and experiences to someone who's not in your lived experience and maybe not aware of all the issues but who's likely more than willing to listen to what you have to say if you treat them like a human being rather than just acting like a condescending troll, that doesn't help anything and don't hide behind identity as if that somehow allows you to ignore basic decorum & respect that can actually lead to more empathy and understanding.

Last edited by cestuneblague on 03/23/2023 22:14; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/23/2023 22:14
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2023 00:25
  • Post subject:
I understand tensions are a bit high here right now, but I'd appreciate it if we could reel this in - I don't gather that anyone here is going to be changing their minds anytime soon. Let's try and get back to the topic, I'd really prefer not to have to lock the thread or anything like that.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/24/2023 00:41
  • Post subject:
Crystal Clear.

Anyhooz, I've been reading The Spanish Holocaust, surprisingly a really great text not just to understand the Spanish Civil War but much of Europe's tension throughout the run up and aftermath of WWII.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2023 01:27
  • Post subject:
I'm reading "Dilla Time" by Dan Charnas which I would recommend to anybody here that is a Dilla fan, or just interested in learning what made him special.

Found a video that breaks down Dilla's timefeel that was pretty good too.

Link

I'm gonna make a thread about Dilla over in the big forum.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2023 07:54
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I'm reading "Dilla Time" by Dan Charnas which I would recommend to anybody here that is a Dilla fan, or just interested in learning what made him special.

Found a video that breaks down Dilla's timefeel that was pretty good too.

Link

I'm gonna make a thread about Dilla over in the big forum.

Ooh, that was one of the best biographies I’ve ever read <3
  • Visit poster's website