Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/22/2023 19:08
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
]"You are boycotting Harry Potter because of JK Rowling's actions. I've been boycotting it because it's a vastly overrated children's book series."

The real hero of this thread Laughing

real recognizes real
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2023 19:08
  • Post subject:
THE HETEROS ARE UPSETEROS
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/22/2023 20:22
  • Post subject:
I don't remember anybody here stating their sexuality

Anyways yeah this conversation about Harry Bladder is becoming about deciding who's the bigger asshole on the internet, so just move on...

Anwyays I was cranking one out to a copy of Stranger in a Strange Land the other day
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/23/2023 09:17
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
I don't remember anybody here stating their sexuality

Anyways yeah this conversation about Harry Bladder is becoming about deciding who's the bigger asshole on the internet, so just move on...

Anwyays I was cranking one out to a copy of Stranger in a Strange Land the other day

Well, it’s become a conversation about online aggression. I guess I forget how much aggression is valued and validated in online communities, including this one. I’m not upset but it’s been a very sobering experience.
frogscan

• Posted: 03/23/2023 10:11
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:

Thanks for this post. I knew about the Hogwarts Legacy controversy, but wasn’t aware of the full online mess, so that is useful context.

Hard to say if I’ve been targeted or not. On this thread I’ve been trolled (by Apperill); laughed at; given misinformation; taken out of context (unfairly); told my behaviour is something it blatantly wasn’t (all by Gowi). Probably more besides. It is not exactly nice.

Do not listen to anyone, people have fun writing all sorts of crap, I personally did not like the game, but to judge someone for liking what you do not, this is a special kind of perversion.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2023 16:08
  • Post subject:
lol "aggression" "perversion"

Pro Tip: Trust multiply marginalized people about the things that make us worry for our safety. We know much more about our lived experience than you do, and expressing fragility for being called out just centers your cisness instead of focusing on what's ultimately a life-or-death situation between me and Gowi.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/23/2023 17:26
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
lol "aggression" “perversion”

You literally recommended a book about a woman being raped by a donkey.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2023 17:59
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Applerill wrote:

A really great one, too. I really like your taste, BlueBoy, but the longer this conversation goes on, the more you sound like JMan in the Naked Human Body thread.

(And as I said, a big part of why I brought it up was that it was recommended to me by Keith before I even entered college. You surely aren't more sheltered than a 19-year-old homeschooler, are you?)
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/23/2023 18:50
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
theblueboy wrote:
Applerill wrote:

A really great one, too. I really like your taste, BlueBoy, but the longer this conversation goes on, the more you sound like JMan in the Naked Human Body thread.

(And as I said, a big part of why I brought it up was that it was recommended to me by Keith before I even entered college. You surely aren't more sheltered than a 19-year-old homeschooler, are you?)

I’m not really following. What’s a J Man?
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2023 19:33
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
I’m not really following. What’s a J Man?

bygone BEA forum drama...

This thread's come a long way off books, but I completely support Gowi and Applerill in that lived experience of marginalized people absolutely essentially needs to be listened to and not portrayed as an equal "argument" against people who wish them ostracized or harmed or worse.

The Harry Potter books were a huge part of my formative years. They were a huge part of the development of my reading comprehension, and an enormous part of the pop culture of my childhood. I think many people who enjoyed HP the way I do feel betrayed by JKR in recent years. The HP books seemed to preach inclusion and respecting those around us, but JKR has made her whole identity into a hatred of a specific group of people and amplified the hate which that group of people receives. It's disgusting, and quite frankly it's leading lots of people (myself included) to take a look-back at our love of Harry Potter and seeing things like introducing slavery in a children's book and deeming it the natural order of things (within that world), and realizing that maybe JKR had some fucked up views all along.

To bring this back on topic but also with a clear connection, I highly recommend Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse. It's a high fantasy novel but with its mythological basis in the culture of pre-Columbus Americas rather than European folklore (which form the basis for much of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.). As part of that, queer and non-binary characters are normalized as they would have been in certain indigenous American cultures prior to European influence. I'm not just praising it because the diversity of characters, it's a great story that follows a series of characters in an epic story as some fight for or against the restoration of a foregone deity (sort of like Lord of the Rings but if Sauron was a main character and everyone was morally grey?). I'm about 40 pages away from the end of the book, and I've got the sequel lined up and can't wait to begin reading right away. Can't recommend enough.