Kind of Blueboy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/28/2021 14:09
  • Post subject: Kind of Blueboy
No grand designs for this diary. Just a space to keep track of what I'm listening to and for sharing a few thoughts. Stop by if you want to talk about any of the albums or have recs that you want to give.

Last edited by theblueboy on 02/14/2022 11:12; edited 8 times in total
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/28/2021 14:16
  • Post subject: Hello Nasty…

Hello Nasty by the Beastie Boys
I saw on the recent Beastie Boy's doc (on Apple TV) that the remaining Beastie's have this as their favourite album they made, due to its diversity. I was impressed with this listen, particularly with some of the latin rhythms filtering into the album. I liked the more low key tracks as much as the more obvious bangers. It's the Beastie's album I've heard the most because Intergalactic was so big when I was 17, but I think I enjoyed it today more than ever.

Chemtrails over the Country Club by Lana Del Rey
I didn't think I needed another Lana album (despite Norman Fucking Rockwell being the only one I've heard from start to finish before). This is really nice though. I like that it's a bit more understated for her, but still has her trademark sense of melody. There's something very specific about Lana Del Rey's music. I think it is a combination of romanticism and decadence. She apparently doesn't like it when people say it's an adopted persona. I guess it's just Lana's thing. I don't think this album quite has the big hitters of her previous one but it somehow feels a bit friendlier.

Black to the Future by Sons of Kemet
I was impressed by their last one. This may be even better. It's a bit mellower maybe, which suits me fine. There is so much interesting going on rhythmically and in the instrumentation. I need to revisit these guys some more-and the Comet is Coming albums as well-as I've consistently enjoyed them without feeling I quite know what is going on musically. Definitely my bag at the moment though.

Last edited by theblueboy on 08/28/2021 20:20; edited 6 times in total
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/28/2021 18:31
  • Post subject: Nefertiti and African Herbsman

Nefertiti by Miles Davis
My preferred era of Miles Davis is probably the second great quintet (at least for now). This one is the last all acoustic of the group's releases, with Shorter and Hancock providing most of the compositions (though Miles is very much still the bandleader). There is so much freedom for Tony Williams' drums and Ron Carters' Double Bass on this album. I think this rhythmic freedom gives this period of free-bopping Miles its character. The title track is lovely, probably up there with any Miles. This album is better than I remembered. It could be the best from this period of Miles even.

African Herbsman by Bob Marley and the Wailers
Not sure what I'm listening to really, but it sounds good. I think it's a 2019 reissue of the African Herbsman compilation of Marley and Wailers, which is songs from the era when the group were produced by Lee Perry. But I have a different track list to BEA and it also says artist re-recordings on the cover. Sounds like late sixties/ early seventies recordings though so I'm confused! There's a grainier version available on my streaming service, but it doesn't sound quite as good. There is also a comp of all the Lee Perry singles, which I dipped into as well.

Anyway, I was curious to hear something of Marley from this era and to find the original version of Trenchtown Rock. This album uplifting and frankly life affirming stuff. Presumably this is the place to go to silence critics of all things Marley did on Island records. That said, I'm sure I'm going to keep on worrying about whether I'm listening to the definitive versions of these tunes or not d'oh! I'll probably have to listen to all three and decide on the best for myself, sheesh.
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/29/2021 10:10
  • Post subject:

Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty by Dusty Springfield
Really nice Dusty album for a Sunday morning. A mix of the 60s pop of her debut and moving towards the more soulful stuff she did on Dusty in Memphis. This isn't quite as good as Dusty in Memphis, of course, but I think it's a bit overlooked. It's a bit like the Beach Boys and Pet Sounds. Yes, that one album is a total classic, but there is other good stuff besides! Every song is strong on this one, particularly Dusty's renditions of a couple of Goffin/ King numbers. There's also bonus material from the Dusty in New York EP, which is good too.

Illmatic by Nas
Part of my education into hip-hop. I like the honesty and toughness of this album. I never knew that Buddha was slang for Weed before. I'm starting to get into this album, but it might take another listen to really feel it. That said, by the final track I was feeling pretty much transported to a New York street corner-and I could even smell the weed somehow Shocked

Solar Power by Lorde
Probably the week's most discussed album. I'm enjoying it, though like others I'm not completely blown away. It's a cool beachy vibe. I like the 90s beats, which is good nostalgia for me (I'm getting George Michael, Primal Scream and Dido feels). Maybe they didn't quite nail the production at certain points: I'm not too keen on the clean guitar and keyboard sounds, which gives some of the tracks an unfinished live lounge sort of feel. That said, I complained about the production on Melodrama at first and now I like it Laughing Solar Power probably won't be a classic, but it is an easy record to stick on in a dull moment. Overall, I feel like I'm starting to appreciate Lorde a bit more as an artist so that is Cool
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/29/2021 15:29
  • Post subject:
Loving this! will check out that Miles album for sure. sounds very cool! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/29/2021 18:31
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Loving this! will check out that Miles album for sure. sounds very cool! Very Happy

Thanks Repo- yeah, Miles is a treasure trove of goodies. Hard to go wrong really and Nefertiti is a new favourite for me Smile
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/29/2021 18:50
  • Post subject:

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane by D...n Coltrane
Really enjoyed this. A collaboration that totally works, despite these two masters belonging to different eras. They both have really distinctive and recognisable styles and find a way to bring them together seamlessly. I really love the warmth and tenderness of Coltrane's playing on Ellington's standard, In a Sentimental Mood. Great stuff.

Chemtrails over the Country Club by Lana Del Rey
Came back for another helping of this one as I wanted to hear the breathy vocals on White Dress again. This album is not quite a personal favourite yet, but a few songs are growing on me. I'm finding it enjoyable still but for now not completely engaging (except for White Dress, which may be my favourite track of 2021 thus far).

Phaedra by Tangerine Dream
This was my first listen of Phaedra since a few years ago. I was really in the mood for some soothing escapism today. It's really immersive and an unusual listening experience-compared to your typical pop/rock fare anyway. I found the whole thing kept my attention and it was beautiful in places. I'm encouraged to listen to more of this type of thing now.
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/30/2021 15:42
  • Post subject:

Computer World by Kraftwerk
I'm on a techno dive today after last night's Tangerine Dream. This was funkier and funnier than I remembered. A total classic.

Orbital 2 by Orbital
I never listened to Orbital much before, but this was good. I like how it is very pure techno, being from a time before electronic bands started experimenting more with other genres. The last track, Halcyon And On And On, really elevates the album.

Trans Europe express by Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk have such a timeless sound. This is probably their best, though Computer World runs it close. Actually, I still have some other Kraftwerk albums to get into. I guess they are all essential listening. The Beatles of techno.

Also watched a film: On the Rocks directed by Sofia Coppola. It features Bill Murray at his most Bill Murrayest. It was a bit light but I enjoyed it. There's lots of funny and well-observed dialogue. Murray and Rashida Jones go back and forth almost as engagingly as Coltrane and Ellington did the other day, but it kind of petered out a bit in the final act.
kokkinos

• Posted: 08/30/2021 20:58
  • Post subject:
hey, you got off to a flying start, nicely done! I especially like how extensive the scope of your entries is - and of course I can’t help but mention that the title is a nice touch as well. It seems you have quite wide-ranging interests, I am eager to see how this will unfold. Out of the albums you ‘ve covered up to this point, Illmatic is far and away my favourite. Not much is left to be said about it, in short it's a seminal hip hop album that signified the changing of the guard – from Rakim to Nas – and instantly became the gold standard, it set the bar so high that Nas himself hasn't come close to replicating its success. Limiting skits, guests and choruses to the absolute minimum, it never loses focus, it’s a relentless demonstration of one flawlessly written and executed verse after the other, a dark and realistic portrayal of life in New York City’s streets that avoids any glorification and even finds the time to show a softer side and explore some existential themes along the way. Life's A Bitch is my favourite song of the bunch, but you can’t go wrong with any of them, each one is essential when it comes to having the complete picture of his state of mind. On the other hand, out of the ones that I haven’t listened yet, Solar Power is the one that grabs my interest the most, hard to resist the hype, will check it out eventually.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/31/2021 10:59
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
hey, you got off to a flying start, nicely done! I especially like how extensive the scope of your entries is - and of course I can’t help but mention that the title is a nice touch as well. It seems you have quite wide-ranging interests, I am eager to see how this will unfold. Out of the albums you ‘ve covered up to this point, Illmatic is far and away my favourite. Not much is left to be said about it, in short it's a seminal hip hop album that signified the changing of the guard – from Rakim to Nas – and instantly became the gold standard, it set the bar so high that Nas himself hasn't come close to replicating its success. Limiting skits, guests and choruses to the absolute minimum, it never loses focus, it’s a relentless demonstration of one flawlessly written and executed verse after the other, a dark and realistic portrayal of life in New York City’s streets that avoids any glorification and even finds the time to show a softer side and explore some existential themes along the way. Life's A Bitch is my favourite song of the bunch, but you can’t go wrong with any of them, each one is essential when it comes to having the complete picture of his state of mind. On the other hand, out of the ones that I haven’t listened yet, Solar Power is the one that grabs my interest the most, hard to resist the hype, will check it out eventually.

Thanks for that feedback Smile Yeah, the diaries page is surely the place to be on BEA! I’m enjoying yours as well-you are undertaking a project I considered myself at one point. It’s really good to have some context for classic releases to appreciate them properly.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to my next listen to Illmatic and I really hear what you are saying about this album. It’s taken me a long time to get into hip-hop but I’m appreciating it much more now. I feel like I’ve always been a melody junkie but now I’m appreciating rhythm more and it’s opening up new doors for me. Also, once again, understanding the history of it helps. I watched a Netflix documentary series, which basically covered every phase of hip hop’s evolution. It was an insightful watch for sure. As you might expect, no album got more praise than Illmatic on this show.