Kind of Blueboy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/31/2021 19:27
  • Post subject:

Future Shock by Herbie Hancock
The cover and title are awesome so that is a good start. This is a fun album that probably doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's Herbie working with hip-hop musicians and bringing his jazz funk chops to the table. Rockit was huge on MTV and has the baddest synth lick. It really ought to have been the theme tune to Beverly Hills Cop Smile This album sounds dated, but for the most part it works and transports me to early eighties hip-hop that has a charming innocence and sense of fun. It's kind of a novelty record, but also a lot more than that.

You're under arrest by Miles Davis
Well, after Future Shock I kind of got in a pretty bonkers groove today, but actually it was all Cool This album gets into serious ersatz jazz territory with covers of Michael Jackson and Cyndie Lauper. This is what I imagine jazz lovers hate about this album, but what I realised today is that these songs are actually really good-take that Ryan Gosling in La La Land! Sure, Miles' version of Human Nature is a near exact copy of the original, but somehow Miles breathes some fresh air and warming lyricism into this cover and I'm actually quite taken with it. In fact, the whole album is very listenable. I said on BEA before that I didn't like this (on the thread about artists who never made a bad album). But I couldn't resist coming back and now I'm pretty much vibing with it.

Sextant by Herbie Hancock
I was aiming for something more in the groove-orientated jazz-funk vein and missed the mark somewhat- should have paid more attention to the album cover Laughing I've now heard four Herbie Hancock solo releases and they are all wildly different. This one is a properly cosmic fusion album, basically sounding like Bitches Brew drifting further off into space. Not exactly what I was going for but I enjoyed it. There are tons of synths on this too. It's pretty adventurous stuff considering this was 1973.

Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire by Bonnie Tyler
I wasn't too sure where to go next, but this somehow hit the mark. This is such a crazy example of 80s over-production. The long list of names involved includes: Jim Steinman (of course); Todd Rundgren; Desmond Child; a bunch of other producers; Bryan Adams and Holland-Dozier Holland. I'd love to know how much this album cost to make!

Steinman’s songs are great though, and this album is kind of nicely balanced between the ridiculous and the sublime. I do have a soft spot for this kind of thing, admittedly, and Steinman is much missed this year. There's a campiness that critics of this kind of thing generally fail to grasp. On the downside, I wish that the duet on the album was with Meatloaf rather than Todd Rundgren, who really can't match Bonnie's vocals. And yes-the whole thing is madly over-produced, with the Holland Dozier-Holland song murdered by synths. Never mind that though, it's still a fun album, at least when I'm in the mood for some pure 80s over-the-top nonsense.

Well, that surely must be it for today. Not really sure what happened-I certainly never expected to hit those four albums when I woke up this morning! Think I may need a recovery day tomorrow Laughing

Last edited by theblueboy on 09/08/2021 08:41; edited 2 times in total
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2021 19:46
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:

Well, after Future Shock I kind of got in a pretty bonkers groove today, but actually it was all Cool This album gets into serious ersatz jazz territory with covers of Michael Jackson and Cyndie Lauper. This is what I imagine Jazz lovers hate about this album, but what I realised today is that these songs are actually really good-take that Ryan Gosling in La La Land! Sure, Miles' version of Human Nature is a near exact copy of the original, but somehow Miles breathes some warmth and lyricism into it and I'm actually quite taken with it. In fact, the whole album is very listenable. I said on BEA before that I didn't like this (on the thread about artists who never made a bad album). But I couldn't resist coming back and now I'm pretty much vibing with it.

I don't think people dislike the album due to the covers. If I play devil's advocate for a moment, after the 70's era ending to 81 there was something jaw dropping of how ambitious and daring those album are that going to this would be a turn off. Especially on how smooth jazz usually doesn't have that particular daring factor to it. But on the flipside when smooth jazz hits, just hits. Classics like Grover Washington Jr's Mister Magic as well as George Benson's Brezzin just hit's that sweet spot. Hell, if I would go on a hot take tangent, Kenny G's Breathless is awesome. But yeah, I do need to give this a shot. Just don't know when.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/31/2021 21:48
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
theblueboy wrote:

Well, after Future Shock I kind of got in a pretty bonkers groove today, but actually it was all Cool This album gets into serious ersatz jazz territory with covers of Michael Jackson and Cyndie Lauper. This is what I imagine Jazz lovers hate about this album, but what I realised today is that these songs are actually really good-take that Ryan Gosling in La La Land! Sure, Miles' version of Human Nature is a near exact copy of the original, but somehow Miles breathes some warmth and lyricism into it and I'm actually quite taken with it. In fact, the whole album is very listenable. I said on BEA before that I didn't like this (on the thread about artists who never made a bad album). But I couldn't resist coming back and now I'm pretty much vibing with it.

I don't think people dislike the album due to the covers. If I play devil's advocate for a moment, after the 70's era ending to 81 there was something jaw dropping of how ambitious and daring those album are that going to this would be a turn off. Especially on how smooth jazz usually doesn't have that particular daring factor to it. But on the flipside when smooth jazz hits, just hits. Classics like Grover Washington Jr's Mister Magic as well as George Benson's Brezzin just hit's that sweet spot. Hell, if I would go on a hot take tangent, Kenny G's Breathless is awesome. But yeah, I do need to give this a shot. Just don't know when.

Fair points. I like what you say about smooth jazz. It doesn’t get as much attention, but I’m now quite intrigued after enjoying this Miles album. Thanks for dropping those names into the mix.

I’m also wondering about soul jazz today, which might be a related sub-genre to smooth jazz, idk really. I’ve not explored soul jazz at all yet, but the tracks that stood out for me on Kamasi Washington’s the Epic had that kind of feel. It’s something else I might check out.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/31/2021 22:06
  • Post subject:
The Epic from Kamasi Washington is a wonderful album. Even if I prefer Heaven and Earth a smidge more. Also if you haven't heard this, give Sade's Love Deluxe a listen if you want a "Smooth Jazz" record that gets critical acclaimed.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/01/2021 06:28
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
The Epic from Kamasi Washington is a wonderful album. Even if I prefer Heaven and Earth a smidge more. Also if you haven't heard this, give Sade's Love Deluxe a listen if you want a "Smooth Jazz" record that gets critical acclaimed.

I like Sade but dont know that album yet. It’s a good idea for me to check it out, for sure. I might revisit her debut as well.

Only a matter of time before I hear Heaven and Earth. I guess there is so much on the Epic that I haven’t tried Kamasi’s other stuff yet. Looking forward to it though.
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/01/2021 16:16
  • Post subject:

Homework by Daft Punk
My second listen of this album. What I like is that it sounds really raw, straight out of the club. Maybe later albums had more variety and subtle combinations of styles, but there is still something fresh about this. I didn't get along with a couple of tracks but for the most part it held up really well. It's funny because as a teenager I used to hate when "Around the World" came on MTV as both song and video were so repetitive. I did not understand dance music one bit back then-it sounds great now in the extended album version!

E.S.P. by Miles Davis
The first album of the second great quintet and this was my first listen to it today. My impression was that it's a bit gentler, more bluesy and more restrained than the other ones from this quintet. Agitation is a wild track though, and one that the band apparently played live a lot. It begins with a killer drum solo by Tony Williams. This appears to be yet another really cool Miles album from this era. I'm certain to revisit soon.

Black to the Future by Sons of Kemet
Gave this another listen and boy was it good. They go from festive to poignant to feverous with so much passion on this record. It's on the way to becoming my favourite album of the year so far. But do take that with a squeeze of lemon as I've listened to exactly six albums released in 2021 at this point Smile

Last edited by theblueboy on 09/02/2021 17:19; edited 3 times in total
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/02/2021 16:59
  • Post subject:

Bob Marley Vs Lee Scratch Perry the bes...tter years

So if you are the big tree, let me tell you that we are the small axe, ready to cut you down

This is my second attempt at experiencing Bob Marley and the Wailers as produced by Lee Perry. It's another compilation as I can't find the albums. This is pretty similar to African Herbsman (though the version of African Herbsman I found is not the official tracklisting) and on first listen both were excellent. So many great tunes and some of them were non-album singles so I guess these compilations are definitely needed. I can't tell yet which is better so I'll keep these two in rotation. I do enjoy Island era Marley as well, but these earlier recordings are so vibrant. I'm struck by the production (Mr Brown is crazy in the best possible way); Marley's tunes and his (perhaps underrated) lyricism. I need to add this album to BEA so will get on that next week.

Lee "Scratch" Perry 1936-2021 'Nuff Respect

Link

Evermore by Taylor Swift
For the first handful of tracks, I was feeling that this is an okayish but slightly unnecessary addendum to Folklore...but then then the standout tracks keep coming in the middle and final third of the album: Tolerate It; Dorothea; Cowboy Like Me; Long Story Short-it's a slighly long album but I can hardly complain when it's this stacked with quality. I'm glad I revisited this one today.

Okay- so tomorrow is defo a rest day for the diary. I'm off to a wedding party to see some people in actual real life for a change. The music will likely be a step down from what I've been hearing so far this week Laughing

Edit: OMG I just realised what I need to listen to tonight to get in the mood for the wedding band:
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/06/2021 11:00
  • Post subject:

Boy's Don't Cry by Rumer

No no no don't sing this song. It belongs to PF Sloan from now on

Something must have prompted me to hear this again-it's a bit of a random choice Think Mebbe I was thinking about covers albums after flirting with the idea of listening to Teal again (never happened Laughing )

This is low-key but certainly enjoyable stuff. It's soul- meets easy listening- meets 70s singer songwriters. The record is consistently well made, if a tad forgettable. The material is well chosen (with covers of Jimmy Webb; Hall &Oats and Isaac Hayes here) and Rumer handles it sensitively, without needing to reinvent these songs a great deal (admittedly the originals are not all that well known, but this is my impression). The real strength of the record is its warmth and gentle easiness.

Oh, and towering above the rest of the album is a simply gorgeous cover of Jimmy Webb's song, PF Sloan. I've never heard the original but this version is pretty much a perfect lilting, feel-good singalong. I listened to the song about five times this weekend alone.

Link

It's a shame that Rumer is a bit forgotten these days. She had a lot of success with her first album in the UK (but apparently not the US) then went off the radar. My guess is that this was deliberate as she did not appear to enjoy the limelight one bit. I think I'll explore/revisit her discography some more though.
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/10/2021 14:48
  • Post subject:

Diamond Life by Sade
I've heard this quite a few times and it still sounds great. It's a lovely, smooth, soul record. The songwriting oozes quality throughout and Sade's timeless voice always hits the mark when I hear this album. It's a shame this record became quite so synonymous with dinner party music-it's a whole lot more than that. I'm looking forward to hearing what Sade did next.

Panic in Babylon by Lee "Scratch&q...ebellyrats
I added this to BEA the other day. It's a super fun album, with Lee Perry performing alongside a Swiss backing band (named here after an earlier Lee Perry song). I love the production on this album and the songs honestly exceeded my expectations. I was afraid that Lee Perry might phone it in at some point, but it actually sounds like they are having a blast from start to finish. It's catchy, infectious, funny and probably qualifies as a late career highlight (though admittedly I'm yet to properly explore the great man's discography).

Collapsed in Sunbeams by Arlo Parks
I listened to this for the first time today, having seen the album pick up the Mercury gong last night. Yeah, I like it well enough but there is nothing yet that is really grabbing me. The tracks all have nice laidback grooves (quite old skool beats really), whilst they keep the arrangements simple and organic sounding, which works well. I'm getting neo soul and post trip hop vibes, although I'm not exactly sure who the main reference points are (Lilly Allen? Estelle? Mark Ronson? Corrine Baily Rae? Dido?) It all sounds vaguely familiar, albeit with a couple of unexpected nods to Radiohead's In Rainbows (guitar riffs from Weird Fishes and Reckoner both crop up).

I'm not hearing the voice of a generation, as yet, but it's enjoyable stuff and I was impressed that the deeper cuts kept the bar high. I'll certainly revisit this a few times.
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/23/2021 16:55
  • Post subject:

Ole Coltrane by John Coltrane
I had a first listen of this today. As expected it was total class. I've always loved Miles' Sketches of Spain so it was no surprise I was into this quite quickly. It also seems a nice midpoint between hard boppin' Coltrane and his more exploratory work, which I guess fits for an album released in '61 , somewhere between Blue Train and A Love Supreme. Goes on my '60s chart and I'll look forward to revisits.

Heaven and Earth by Kamasi Washington
I also recently checked this out. Yeah, I hear why people say it's similar to the Epic-but more of the same cool stuff was no problem. I like the mix of 70s soul and jazz once more. Also, the shift in gears from the Earth to the Heaven sides of the album was impressive. It's nice to explore Kamasi's discography further and to deepen my appreciation of his work.

At Least for Now by Benjamin Clementine
This is another Mercury winner (a few years ago now). At first I wasn't sure if I liked this because it's such a grandiose listen-and that doesn't generally appeal to me. But then I got really into it and started to appreciate Clementine's voice-and it really is a force of nature on this record. At its best, this album is simply Clementine and a piano. You really can't crowd him out with a bunch of instruments because his voice fills the space all on its own. There's a couple of Nina Simone-esque jazzy R&B numbers, which are excellent (one of which has become the theme tune to the Witherspoon/Aniston tv show "The Morning Show"). With this one, I actually think the Mercury Prize folks were bang on. I wouldn't be surprised if this album actually gains in stature as more people revisit and realise how strong it is.