Kind of Blueboy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2021 17:58
  • Post subject:
A lot of interesting music here, especially fond of the Miles Davis stuff. Thanks.
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/07/2021 10:14
  • Post subject:
rockbluesfolkjaz wrote:
A lot of interesting music here, especially fond of the Miles Davis stuff. Thanks.

Thanks! Yeah, Miles is probably my favourite artist these days. I seem to really like every Miles Davis album I try.
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/06/2021 12:13
  • Post subject:

The Man Machine by Kraftwek

I've been getting into synth pop a lot more recently. I suppose The Man Machine is about as foundational a synth pop record you could hope for. It took a few listens, but I rate it as highly as their other classics now. Kraftwerk make the kind of records where every note sounds absolutely in the right place. It still sounds like the future of music.

A Brand New Me from Dusty Springfield
Not a notably highly rated Dusty album, but I love it. Great easy listening for a lazy weekend morning. This album sees Dusty move from Memphis and into the Philly soul sound. Gamble and Huff produce and write and this album is interesting for preceding their best known work. There's no "Love Train" but what's here is a lovely, velvety, easy on the ear soul record.

Panthalassa by Miles Davis/ Bill Laswell
Remixing Miles' electric fusion years should be a travesty but this works. Bill Laswell creates a new patchwork that flows as a seamless ambient experience. Laswell seems to have a had an extraordinary career just a fraction away from the limelight-he has collaborated with a lot of great musicians. I was reminded of this album after hearing the compelling side of outtakes from KID A MNESIA. I would love to know what Bill Laswell would come up with if Radiohead gave him everything from the vaults from this era to tinker with.
theblueboy

• Posted: 02/14/2022 11:11
  • Post subject: Kind of Blueboy

Ah Mitski, you’ll do for me.
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/15/2022 17:56
  • Post subject:
Damn, I’m pretty sure XTC is hands down the greatest band of all time yet for some reason we don’t talk about this.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2022 21:17
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Damn, I’m pretty sure XTC is hands down the greatest band of all time yet for some reason we don’t talk about this.

Well, I for one just assumed everybody here already agrees, so there's not much to discuss, right? Think

And as far as everyone else is concerned, I guess the excuse we always use in XTC-land is that they stopped touring in 1982 and people who aren't album aficionados insist on seeing live shows.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/16/2022 07:45
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Well, I for one just assumed everybody here already agrees, so there's not much to discuss, right? Think
Well, I have have seen some XTC appreciation on BEA (mostly from you Laughing ) but I think there should be more!

Quote:
And as far as everyone else is concerned, I guess the excuse we always use in XTC-land is that they stopped touring in 1982 and people who aren't album aficionados insist on seeing live shows.

Yeah, for me though it’s surprising as I never liked them all that much before. I’d heard Skylarking and thought it was good but it just never stuck in my head. Then I heard Dear Madam Barnum on a tv show the other day and now I’m hooked.
kokkinos

• Posted: 08/16/2022 13:35
  • Post subject:
I guess XTC are kinda similar to The Cars in the sense that most people fail to realise that their favourite pop band has been influenced by them and as a result they both remain largely unappreciated.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 08/16/2022 15:48
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
I guess XTC are kinda similar to The Cars in the sense that most people fail to realise that their favourite pop band has been influenced by them and as a result they both remain largely unappreciated.

True. XTC seem to be the key missing link between The Beatles and Blur.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2022 19:52
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Then I heard Dear Madam Barnum on a tv show the other day and now I’m hooked.

Was it the end credits of The Disappointment of the Dionne Quintuplets...? That was a pretty good, maybe even inspired, choice on the part of whoever was responsible. Cool

There's a downside to this for the truly XTC-obsessed though, which I suppose is true for fans of most other bands who have been (or were) around for a while like XTC was. For example, about 3-4 years ago they finally showed the movie Vivarium on one of the premium channels, and it was supposed to be a really weird, paranoid horror/sci-fi romp starring Imogen Poots, so of course I really wanted to see it. Basically it's about a recently-married couple who are out house-shopping, and get trapped in a cookie-cutter-looking subdivision that's not at all what it seems (I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's genuinely scary if you've ever been home-shopping in one of those places). And it's one of these deals where just when you think the movie can't get any weirder, it does — and then at the very end, just before the credits roll, they start playing XTC's "Complicated Game," from Drums And Wires.

In retrospect, I'd have to say that "Complicated Game" was an inspired choice to end this particular movie, because on a purely intellectual level it's actually a terrifyingly existential commentary on the futility of choice, if not of freedom and free will itself, which is ultimately the (somewhat-subversive) point of the movie. But instead of having my mind blown by the song and the context in which it was used, all I could think of was, "Woo hoo! Andy Partridge is going to get some royalties!" and then, "OMG, I can't believe they're playing the whole thing and not fading it out in the middle like they usually do with XTC songs in movies."

Again, I believe this effect could occur with any band that collects obsessive fans, and there have been lots of those over the years. But I just wonder if it's more "acute" with XTC because they've always been unusually open and transparent about how the business side of music has affected their lives, mostly not for the better, which I think leads their fans to think of them more as regular people rather than as "musical demigods" as they might with, say, Led Zeppelin. (Whom I also like, I might add.)
  • Visit poster's website