Kind of Blueboy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/11/2022 16:02
  • Post subject:
Decided to refine my rating system and align it with my new charts:
5/5 - worthy of consideration for my top 100. Automatic inclusion in decade and year charts. A personal favourite.
4/5 - worthy of consideration for a decade chart and almost certainly inclusion in a year chart. Albums I consistently enjoy.
3/5- only worthy of consideration for a year chart. A bit mixed but overall I enjoy the album.
2/5 - not chart worthy. Some positives but not enough to merit further listening.
1/5 - not a fan at all. I would not hear the album from start to finish (as a result I have never used this rating).

I have rated 159 albums as 5/5 in total. My next task is to construct my all new overall chart from these albums Very Happy
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/11/2022 19:26
  • Post subject:
Will you keep rating and ranking albums based on their cultural impact or will you go with your favourites this time?
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/11/2022 20:11
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Will you keep rating and ranking albums based on their cultural impact or will you go with your favourites this time?

Hey, thanks for paying attention Smile

Lately I’ve rediscovered an interest in my own personal tastes and I have abandoned my cultural impact charts completely for the time being. All my ratings and rankings will be on personal taste now. Just seems like I’m settling back into my own familiar tastes a bit more again and I wanted my charts to reflect this.

The cultural impact thing was interesting for a while and helped to expand my horizons, though I feel it has run its course. I think I will probably do a custom cultural impact chart at some stage in the future. TBH I thought Rolling Stone’s last greatest albums list was a pretty good one for reflecting cultural impact anyway. I feel less need to have my own version of this now.
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/11/2022 20:54
  • Post subject:
Yeah, it's great that you've found your vibe.
And making charts this way is definitely more interesting, I'm curious how yours will turn out.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/13/2022 16:14
  • Post subject:
Well, my overall chart is up now and I am going the whole hog this time by adding comments and track picks to each album (at least that is the aim). I am about a quarter of the way through at this point. Reckon it will take me a few days to get comments done throughout the chart.
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/15/2022 12:28
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Well, my overall chart is up now and I am going the whole hog this time by adding comments and track picks to each album (at least that is the aim). I am about a quarter of the way through at this point. Reckon it will take me a few days to get comments done throughout the chart.

Well, that’s a fantastic #1. If there was an alternate universe where The Smiths never existed, I can imagine Orange Juice being my favourite band - or I could simply have been born earlier, so that I ‘d have been around when they released their debut and have the privilege of listening to it before The Smiths were a thing.
The rest of the chart is full of albums that you rarely encounter in such lists/charts, so big props for the bold and honest choices.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/15/2022 14:44
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Well, that’s a fantastic #1. If there was an alternate universe where The Smiths never existed, I can imagine Orange Juice being my favourite band - or I could simply have been born earlier, so that I ‘d have been around when they released their debut and have the privilege of listening to it before The Smiths were a thing.
The rest of the chart is full of albums that you rarely encounter in such lists/charts, so big props for the bold and honest choices.

Thanks, yeah a lot of people prefer The Smiths (also on my chart Edit- narrowly missed my overall chart). For some reason I vibe with Orange Juice a bit more, though I think both are great. To be fair there is quite a bit of 80s jangle on my charts and could be more as I keep exploring.

I agree with that observation- I’m just trying to go with really honest personal choices, including the uncool ones (Hello Bonnie and Meat Smile ) I like charts with a bit of that side of things anyway. Edit- Oh crap, I just realised that Lover at #15 is the one that will ultimately bug people. I can’t help it though, I have played the crap out of that album Laughing

I’m about half way through the comments now. It’s taking a while but I’m quite pleased with what is there so far. It’s by far the most thought I’ve put into a chart. I’m finding it quite rewarding so should see it through.

Edit again!!! Just realised The Queen is Dead should be there according to my system but I missed it Brick wall I can correct this now thanks to your comment for reminding me Very Happy
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/15/2022 16:12
  • Post subject:
Much craziness: turns out The Queen is Dead was on my chart as expected. Though Hounds of Love turned out to be missing and this has been rectified. Phew.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2022 09:25
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
I agree with that observation- I’m just trying to go with really honest personal choices, including the uncool ones (Hello Bonnie and Meat Smile ) I like charts with a bit of that side of things anyway. Edit- Oh crap, I just realised that Lover at #15 is the one that will ultimately bug people. I can’t help it though, I have played the crap out of that album Laughing

Well, it's a fine chart, one of the best I've seen in fact. I even listened to the Orange Juice album today, just to make sure you weren't some sort of lunatic, and it's pretty good! And as for Lover, that makes perfect sense because aside from her debut LP, Lover is her only album that has any blue on the cover.

Applause
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/16/2022 10:47
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Well, it's a fine chart, one of the best I've seen in fact. I even listened to the Orange Juice album today, just to make sure you weren't some sort of lunatic, and it's pretty good! And as for Lover, that makes perfect sense because aside from her debut LP, Lover is her only album that has any blue on the cover.

Applause

Laughing

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback. I’m not some kind of lunatic yet. Glad you enjoyed the Orange Juice debut Smile