Album of the day (#3919): Suede by Suede

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/11/2021 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3919): Suede by Suede
Today's album of the day

Suede by Suede (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1993.
Overall rank: 594
Average rating: 78/100 (from 457 votes).

Tracks:
1. So Young
2. Animal Nitrate
3. She's Not Dead
4. Moving
5. Pantomime Horse
6. The Drowners
7. Sleeping Pills
8. Breakdown
9. Metal Mickey
10. Animal Lover
11. The Next Life

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
AlvaroIesus

Nicaragua

• Posted: 09/11/2021 20:38
  • Post subject:
Failed to impress me.
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 09/11/2021 20:48
  • Post subject:
One of my favourite albums! Brett Anderson is among my favourite vocalists, and Bernard Butler is an excellent guitarist. It's too bad that they didn't get along because just like McCartney and Lennon, they were great foils for one another.

From start to finish, it's an excellent album. I even love "Moving" and "Animal Lover", two songs that Brett Anderson constantly shuns. The self-titled debut also has excellent B-sides, including "My Insatiable One", "To The Birds", "He's Dead", "Painted People", "High Rising", and "Dolly".

I've always been a bit baffled as to why Suede gets labelled "britpop". Alongside Dog Man Star, I see this as more of an alternative rock album. The only Suede album that I might consider britpop is Coming Up.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/11/2021 21:40
  • Post subject:
Great album. Great band. Definitely britpop Very Happy
an-outlaw

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/11/2021 22:09
  • Post subject:
Pretty cool album Smile
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2021 02:09
  • Post subject:
I think they were labeled "Britpop" because they didn't think "Glam Revival" would sell as many records...?

It's a good album, but the production isn't up to snuff (it's basically a "cocaine mix"), and IMHO they didn't really hit their stride until the second one ("Dog Man Star"). After that they had a string of three albums that were great. But this one got all the "Next Big Thing" accolades from Sounds and the NME, and the later albums didn't, because they just weren't the flavor of the month anymore. The same thing happened to Slowdive and a bunch of other British bands of that era.

Still, having just listened to it again just now (in order to make an attempt to comment intelligently), I definitely still like it. As spotty as it is compared to the later ones, you can hear the goodness potential pretty clearly. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but to me, the standout tracks are the quieter ones like "She's Not Dead," where they're trying less hard to channel Ziggy Stardust.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/12/2021 07:36
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
I think they were labeled "Britpop" because they didn't think "Glam Revival" would sell as many records...?

Well, the glam revival (or neo glam) of 93 just got sucked into britpop in 94. Those terms never really saw wider usage. The press (specifically Stuart Maconie of the NME ) came up with the term britpop in 94 and that is what stuck with this generation of bands (93 to 97). It wasn’t a very specific aesthetic, more a shared attitude of revisiting classic British influences and aiming for the pop charts (in contrast to previous alternative scenes like shoegaze and jangle pop, which didn’t get much crossover into the mainstream).

I don’t think Suede really liked getting sucked into it all (and Dog Man Star tried to distance themselves from it) but this debut really has all the characteristic elements of britpop. They were part of the vanguard even if they didn’t want to be.