Michael Chapman Remembered

View previous topic :: View next topic
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/12/2021 13:27
  • Post subject: Michael Chapman Remembered
This thread will probably not get much traffic as Michael wasn't that well know an artist but was hugely influential on artists like Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Ryley Walker, Steve Gunn and Bill Callahan.

Sadly we heard of the passing of the wonderful Michael Chapman over the weekend. He was 80.

I was privileged to have spend an evening in the great mans company in 2016. I was helping to set up the sound at the gig and the soundcheck that we did was one of the finest examples of guitar playing I have ever witnessed. Kevin, the sound engineer on the night couldn't understand why I was say to continue playing as it wasn't quite right. The sound was perfect, I just wanted Michael to keep on playing. The gig was spellbinding. Not the only time I have seen him play live but the most personal. Sharing a bottle of red wine with the man afterwards was a joy. Such an engaging, honest (blunt some might say) and refreshingly genuine master of his craft.

I was also his chauffer the next day, helping to get him part of the way from London to Preston for his next gig. That 45 minute car ride to the train station was a delight. Such great stories about other musicians that I admired or loved.

If you have anything that you would like to share about Michael feel free to post it here.

RIP Michael. Raising a glass of red to you as I finish this off. You were unique and will be sorely missed
  • Visit poster's website