Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2021 20:38
  • Post subject: Musical Exploration Through the Years
Well, it has been a bit. "You never left!" True, but in a Musical Diary sense it has been a while. I have been meaning to get a rebirth since A look upon the records has felt old hat to me. And while, I don't think this will be rigorous I have a keen eye where some years have a big dent in them. So for the purpose of this diary, I'll keep a tally of how many albums I've listen to and continue from there.

For a basis
1993: 133/250
1997: 80/250
2000: 142/250
2001: 112/250
2015: 94/250
2020: 196/250

To go a little further 250 is the minimum where I have enough material to make a competent year end list. I will add other years in the list when I feel like I have an urge. But also, I do allow my self to go further to hit personal highlights from other users. Another thing I want to try is get the majority of the top 100 of each year done. But I do get a say of what I won't listen to. But I'll provide a bit of an explanation as to why, when we get there.

Hopefully this is fruitful endeavor.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/02/2021 21:38
  • Post subject:
Hey, it's nice to have your diary up and running again. It looks like you've already made significant progress, I'm eager to see how this unfolds and get some recs along the way.
Any particular reason you picked these years?
Is there any other year that you've "fully" (in the sense of reaching the goal of 250 albums) explored so far?
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2021 22:14
  • Post subject:
1993:134/250

Continuing my journey of 1993 from late last year, I decide to look at Chief's year end list. Welcome back Chief. And with stuff I haven't listen to yet, this was first. Polygon Window, or more importantly Aphex Twin builds the bridge from his critical milestone of S.A.W. Vol 1 to the equally critical milestone of S.A.W Vol 2. And it is quite excellent. Can really envision being at a club or warehouse back in the early 90's with glow sticks while half of the party goers are under an assortment of drugs of choice. And that also explain the musical quality of this. Quite dark in a night time sense while getting sucked into these hypnotic grooves. While not every track hits me to the max, Ut1-Dot being the prime culprit there is something quite investing about this. Even when compared to modern or contemporary standards of the 90's this does feel a bit archaic. But it kept me entertained, so that is a plus. In this similar style of 1993, give Orbital's and Autechre's albums that released in 1993 a listen.

Grade:90
Potential to get in the year end list.

Note for kokkinos, years like 93,97,2000,2001 were years that I dabbled into the year top 100 at a moment of time. 1993 and 2000 were completed. But 2000 gets updated more often compared to 1993. Other years that have a similar status would be the late 2010's like 2018 or 2017. And hopefully you find recommendations. But knowing you are more critical with your grading, I do have a hunch that a good amount will be meh or not good. But, I do feel like you would enjoy some picks I give out.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2021 01:39
  • Post subject:
1993:135/250

After the more electronic/techno dabble of Polygon Window, decide to take a shot at an ambient/drone record from German musician Thomas Koner. And it was good. Not bad but not a personal highlight or favorite for 1993. I'd argue it's biggest strength is also it's biggest weakness. An Achilles heel if you will. With a title called Permafrost, the record understands what it needs to achieve. Be desolate, cold, and lonely. In that sense, it could theoretically be a 10/10 or a 100. But as an enjoyment not really. I think my issue with some records is that I don't like to be an individual that witnesses the journey. I want to be a part of it. So while I could say tracks like Serac and ... might have synth lines that sound nice even if it is buried within a hazy noise that emulate the tundra, it never makes a huge impact. If you want something like this but a little more interesting, give Substrata a listen. If you want this but more thrilling and dramatic, give Rakka a listen.

Grade:75 but could be more like a 70
Low honorable mention but wouldn't get on the year end list.

Last edited by Luigii on 10/12/2021 21:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/04/2021 21:25
  • Post subject:
1993:136/250

Let's take a break from the realm of electronic to something a little more festive and popular. As well as score from a movie I really enjoy. "What's your favorite movie?" Your not going to get an answer from me. But this score is really excellent. Knows how to use proper motifs that are quite memorable that incorporate the big sing alongs from the movie. Especially due to how Danny Elfman not only was the composer but also Jack Skellington. Had a lot of work to do. And it payed off really well. Something that doesn't really feel like it came out in 1993. In both movie and tunes wise. In many cases, the stop motion and the jazzy orchestra has stand the test of time. Even when in a few short years, it's going to be 30. Man where does the time go. So, a 100? Well, no. An essential score and movie no doubt. But not one that stops me in my tracks, or one that makes me dig from the granular details. If you haven't seen it, go watch it.

Potential to get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/04/2021 22:43
  • Post subject:
1993:137/250

Wait a minute? Didn't kokkinos talked about this album? Well yeah. But that doesn't mean no one else can talk about it. As well as the fact where for me, Dylan wasn't ever one of those big critical artist that ever hit me when I was younger. Though now being in my mid 20's as well being more open to different types of music, I do get it. Even if I only dabbled a few albums. Album 3 to be precise. And while I would be parroting what he had to say about this album, I would be somewhat nicer for the album. Compared to Permafrost, I would say this album passes by nicely. I would say it kept my attention for its runtime. Even if folk or country isn't usually my usual bread and butter, I tend to find albums quite stellar that fits this mold or aesthetic. Personal favorites from 1993 I really enjoyed were the Mazzy Star album, the Aimee Mann album and for aesthetics, the Red House Painters album do hit me way more on being impressed. This record is more on the good level.

Now, to get into what kokkinos had to say about it, I do agree that it's sparse and back to basics folk sounds isn't the most impressive. I do get that this album can feel quite safe compared to some of his 80's material that made be train wrecks but are still interesting to talk about or some of his critical darlings that he made before and after this that take risks and end up paying off. But I will say when the audio does get a bit rough from the clear guitar sounds, I do notice. And I do say Stack a Lee is probably the most noticeable for its harmonica playing. For a closing statement, if you want a record that could go into a morning routine on a Sunday to prepare breakfast during the spring or autumn time, give this a listen. If you want something more that can dabble into the electronic sphere and does more, give The Campfire Headphase a listen.
For kokkinos, if this album was released during the 60's, do you think you would enjoy this more? Or would it still be innocuous for you? I'm going to guess the latter.

Grade:75
Low honorbale mention but wouldn't get on the year end list. Also here's a bonus video. Enjoy. New listening tomorrow. Maybe.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/05/2021 21:09
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
1993:136/250

Let's take a break from the realm of electronic to something a little more festive and popular. As well as score from a movie I really enjoy. "What's your favorite movie?" Your not going to get an answer from me. But this score is really excellent. Knows how to use proper motifs that are quite memorable that incorporate the big sing alongs from the movie. Especially due to how Danny Elfman not only was the composer but also Jack Skellington. Had a lot of work to do. And it payed off really well. Something that doesn't really feel like it came out in 1993. In both movie and tunes wise. In many cases, the stop motion and the jazzy orchestra has stand the test of time. Even when in a few short years, it's going to be 30. Man where does the time go. So, a 100? Well, no. An essential score and movie no doubt. But not one that stops me in my tracks, or one that makes me dig from the granular details. If you haven't seen it, go watch it.

Potential to get on the year end list.

That’s a funny little coincidence, we posted two Christmas albums (Christmas In The Heart and The Nightmare Before Christmas) almost simultaneously. It seems Christmas arrived early this year! Don’t think I’ve ever listened to the soundtrack on its own, but I love this movie and it wouldn’t be the same without the soundtrack, great stuff.

Luigii wrote:
1993:137/250

Wait a minute? Didn't kokkinos talked about this album? Well yeah. But that doesn't mean no one else can talk about it. As well as the fact where for me, Dylan wasn't ever one of those big critical artist that ever hit me when I was younger. Though now being in my mid 20's as well being more open to different types of music, I do get it. Even if I only dabbled a few albums. Album 3 to be precise. And while I would be parroting what he had to say about this album, I would be somewhat nicer for the album. Compared to Permafrost, I would say this album passes by nicely. I would say it kept my attention for its runtime. Even if folk or country isn't usually my usual bread and butter, I tend to find albums quite stellar that fits this mold or aesthetic. Personal favorites from 1993 I really enjoyed were the Mazzy Star album, the Aimee Mann album and for aesthetics, the Red House Painters album do hit me way more on being impressed. This record is more on the good level.

Now, to get into what kokkinos had to say about it, I do agree that it's sparse and back to basics folk sounds isn't the most impressive. I do get that this album can feel quite safe compared to some of his 80's material that made be train wrecks but are still interesting to talk about or some of his critical darlings that he made before and after this that take risks and end up paying off. But I will say when the audio does get a bit rough from the clear guitar sounds, I do notice. And I do say Stack a Lee is probably the most noticeable for its harmonica playing. For a closing statement, if you want a record that could go into a morning routine on a Sunday to prepare breakfast during the spring or autumn time, give this a listen. If you want something more that can dabble into the electronic sphere and does more, give The Campfire Headphase a listen.
For kokkinos, if this album was released during the 60's, do you think you would enjoy this more? Or would it still be innocuous for you? I'm going to guess the latter.

Grade:75
Low honorbale mention but wouldn't get on the year end list. Also here's a bonus video. Enjoy. New listening tomorrow. Maybe.

Link

Hmm, that’s an interesting question and the answer isn’t so clear. I mean, even if everything else were to remain the same, we have to take into account that the vocals definitely wouldn’t, so it’s hard to tell how exactly it would have ended up. On the one hand, the obvious point of comparison would be his debut album (I haven’t mentioned it yet in my diary, but it’s an album I really like), because it also contains covers – with two exceptions - and is very similar in sound and style. On the other hand, I don’t think it would have reached the same heights as his debut, because the songs in World Gone Wrong try to establish a darker mood, so his youthful enthusiasm would barely help elevate the material. Actually, you could argue it would be detrimental and being a middle aged man was beneficial in that regard. So, if I had to guess, I’d probably like it even less.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2021 21:43
  • Post subject:
You did. Honestly, as much as Christmas always tends to get started quite early nowadays, I was referring with Halloween. Though the movie somewhat works as a Christmas tradition. Add that and Die Hard and you'll get the most bizzare set of films. Though if you want something horror related with the Christmas spirit, watch Gremlins.

Now, another thing I would also add with the Dylan discourse would be, I don't know if Dylan would be capable to vocally do what he would do in 1993 back in the 60's. Though there is a bit of an argument that while it might not reach the heights of the debut, there's something palpable of a "moody" record. Even since the 60's will go into turbulent waters with some of the big events during that time. But even then, in a music sense I don't get the darker mood. Nor did I get that from the lyrics. So I think I got a good answer out of my hypothesis. Thank you for that. Also will be having a new album listening right up out real soon.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2021 22:20
  • Post subject:
1993:138/250

Now back to something similar. Well is it really? While this album does use electronic elements to create an interesting backdrop, there is more organic sounding instruments that buoy the experience. And from the 4AD label, I prefer this slightly more than Last Splash. However, I'd argue the sparse soundscapes don't ever spell bind me compared to Brian Eno's Neroli or what I though was on the 4AD label Cocteau Twins 1993 album. A high contender for the year end list. That record just hits a particular sweet spot. But back to this, this doesn't envelope me as much as I feel like it should. Or I could argue some of the synth tones come off a bit annoying. Relentless being the prime culprit. Man that track is quite grating. Otherwise, was a fun album but not a keeper.

Grade:80
Low honorable mention but wouldn't get on the year end list. Maybe the next album will have more things to talk about.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2021 00:04
  • Post subject:
1993:139/250

Are you ready for some ye haw country? I heard a yes somewhere. And for my introduction for Dwight, this was quite great. Love that it captures the rural country side. Feels like it is in it's own little ecosystem. Away from the high life of the city. And when this album tends to get more vast and goes for the crown on tracks like A Thousand Miles From Nowhere or Home For Sale, it shows that Dwight and accompanying musicians can make a songs that can be impressive from front to back. Though I will say even with that analogy, I would say for rural areas the roads can be quite rocky. And while the album is quite sound, this album doesn't really go for the full mile. Some songs like the opener feel to mid pace and rudimentary for my liking. Not only that, the call and response of the opener with the mid pace beat oddly makes get somewhat peeved by it. But if you want a country album that is quite traditional, give this a listen.

Grade:85
A possible honorable mention.
  • Visit poster's website