Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 19:59
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
glad to see you liked that nanci Griffith album. She's excellent and her passing earlier this year was very VERY sad news. Great album there.

Also, that particular Julia Holter is a blindspot for me. Will get on it - sounds fantastic. I am mostly very familiar with her 2013 and 2015 albums. her 2018 just didn't blow me away on first listen still, I need to give it a few more spins.

after 1993 what are the years or what is the yuear you are thinking you'll be focusing on?

Dude, I didn't know she died this year. That is pretty crazy. After 1993, there is other years that I have some interest to dabble. Maybe 2020 since that is pretty close to be completed with the 250 album quota. But that year could theoretically go higher since there are user picks I would like to listen to. 1997,2000,2001 have some progress done. Maybe 1995? Maybe a year from the 80's? Realistically, I can't tell you a precise year that I would stay locked in. With optional things as well in the mix. As well as other stuff I want to do in the future, like going over favorite songs or artist ranking. But that will be quite later.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 20:12
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Mercury wrote:
glad to see you liked that nanci Griffith album. She's excellent and her passing earlier this year was very VERY sad news. Great album there.

Also, that particular Julia Holter is a blindspot for me. Will get on it - sounds fantastic. I am mostly very familiar with her 2013 and 2015 albums. her 2018 just didn't blow me away on first listen still, I need to give it a few more spins.

after 1993 what are the years or what is the yuear you are thinking you'll be focusing on?

Dude, I didn't know she died this year. That is pretty crazy. After 1993, there is other years that I have some interest to dabble. Maybe 2020 since that is pretty close to be completed with the 250 album quota. But that year could theoretically go higher since there are user picks I would like to listen to. 1997,2000,2001 have some progress done. Maybe 1995? Maybe a year from the 80's? Realistically, I can't tell you a precise year that I would stay locked in. With optional things as well in the mix. As well as other stuff I want to do in the future, like going over favorite songs or artist ranking. But that will be quite later.

Yeah it was sudden and sad, her death.

As for next years, understood. I don’t know how you manage to stay so focused, I have tried staying somewhat focused on a year or a theme and then, BOOM just like that I am onto something else. Lol.

In 80s year would be fun because, honestly, that is a decade I am super super limited on. I mean I adore so much from the last half of the 60s and the whole 1970s and even the 1990s, but the 80s? Not so much. If you pick a 1980s year, I will try to play the game as well!

1997, 2000 and 2001 and 1995 are also excellent gold mines. I think every year is. But yeah.

2020 is legit as well. I need to do some listening there, especially considering I have gone so hard in 2021 I have a million albums that artists who released in 2021 also released in 2020. This year of music has opened me up to soooo many other avenues of possible musical discovery from 2013 to 2020 or so.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 20:13
  • Post subject:
1993:150/250

This was an album that I don't think I would have venture through. Thankfully, Komo put me in the right direction with this album. And I will say, while this isn't one of my absolute favorite pieces of music for this year, I will say this is quite peculiar. It is odd and quite noisy that this could be a personal highlight for listeners that really enjoy that mix with rock music. I think why this album doesn't go higher than a great is that the first half of the album doesn't go far enough for me. And to me, if you want a recommendation that is similar to this but where I believe most if not all tracks go full throttle in the aggression and weirdness check out The Buthole Surfers 1993 album. That album rules. Also I do need to point out that annoying trope that the last track ends early and leaves no sound before going to a hidden track. But I will say the second half goes way harder than the first half. Jeremy Paper being the absolute highlight on the record.

Grade:80
Quite enjoyable but might not get on the year end or an honorable mention.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 21:40
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Mercury wrote:

Yeah it was sudden and sad, her death.

As for next years, understood. I don’t know how you manage to stay so focused, I have tried staying somewhat focused on a year or a theme and then, BOOM just like that I am onto something else. Lol.

In 80s year would be fun because, honestly, that is a decade I am super super limited on. I mean I adore so much from the last half of the 60s and the whole 1970s and even the 1990s, but the 80s? Not so much. If you pick a 1980s year, I will try to play the game as well!

1997, 2000 and 2001 and 1995 are also excellent gold mines. I think every year is. But yeah.

2020 is legit as well. I need to do some listening there, especially considering I have gone so hard in 2021 I have a million albums that artists who released in 2021 also released in 2020. This year of music has opened me up to soooo many other avenues of possible musical discovery from 2013 to 2020 or so.

Well I do need to point out, and you most likely noticed, this is just a second wind to go through 1993. 1993 Started with 133. The fact it is now at 150 in just nearing two weeks is pretty impressive. And I think every year even if you go digging out of the top 100, there is a lot of genre hopping if you know where to look. But yeah, if I ever hit an 80's year, that will be great.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 23:01
  • Post subject:
1995:20/150
mianfei:2/6

This is the second album from Laika under my belt. The first one was from 1997. Been a while since I listen to that one. I remember thinking that was great. And I would also say this is also quite great. It's quite moody, earthy, something that sticks. Let Me Sleep is probably the biggest highlight for me on just how relentless those drum hits can get. But while I do enjoy this, this doesn't wow me as much as I feel it should. Like from front to back this is entertaining and solid. But it never floors me.

Grade:85
A possible honorable mention, though this would be pushed out quite easily.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2021 19:34
  • Post subject:
There will be an album posting today. But just to let people know, I have my year chosen once 1993 hits its quota. But that will be revealed when we hit 250 albums. So stay tuned.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2021 20:37
  • Post subject:
1993:151/250

For a punk rock album, this does hit a visceral feeling that gets you ready to control the mosh pit. Quite varied with its punk rock structure. And quite quality from front to back. Just not hooking me to the fullest extent. Maybe its a production thing? Or more importantly, was never the craziest punk guy. But even then, I could see this being a highlight for 1993. Just not the biggest one for me.

Grade:85
Could be a honorable mention, maybe.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/14/2021 20:50
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
There will be an album posting today. But just to let people know, I have my year chosen once 1993 hits its quota. But that will be revealed when we hit 250 albums. So stay tuned.

There's still a lot of gas left in 1993's tank, but I'm already curious what's next.
For what it's worth, I'll be rooting for any year from the '70s/'80s. But of course anything goes, it's entirely up to you.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2021 21:15
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
There's still a lot of gas left in 1993's tank, but I'm already curious what's next.
For what it's worth, I'll be rooting for any year from the '70s/'80s. But of course anything goes, it's entirely up to you.

Yeah, it will be a while before we get there. But I got a plan.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/14/2021 23:10
  • Post subject:
1993:152/250

These last few reviews.... They be lacking compared to other reviews. So I will say, finally hit another excellent album. If there was any complaint I would have with this particular album is that I wished the rest of the album went further with the soundplay of the first track. Like that "flute solo" that occurred got me quite excited for this album. And as it continues along, there are hints of that sprinkle through the rest of the album. But I want some tracks to go further. Like give me a sax solo. Give me a drum solo. Stuff like that would have catapulted this even higher. The rest of the album has some dope power pop/rock tracks that seem like a chill form of Wezzer but know how to get into a hazy groove to vibe with. As well as some folk tinges within the mix. Even when the last track does the cardinal sin that I mention earlier on this diary of cutting a track and still having several minutes of silence left, they use the majority of its run time to make a mood burner of a track.

There we go. Now that's way better.

Grade:90
Possible to get on the year end.

Also, I might not post during the weekend due to probably not going to be close to a computer for the next few days. See you either Sunday or Monday. Unless I could squeeze something.
  • Visit poster's website