Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2021 19:03
  • Post subject:
Hello. It has been a bit since my last post. Felt a bit tired, felt the output was somewhat uninspired compared to how this started. And while I didn't think I would make a post on an all time favorite album, I have an itch to talk a bit on this record.

Masterful Hallmarks #1

Gas's Pop. The fourth album from Wolfgang Voigt is an ambient record that makes me feel a certain way that sometimes feels easy to describe but also ends up feel unnatural. A view into the afterlife. A place you can feel free without suffering from the troubles of the world. An album to dissociate to if you will. But then the question becomes, why this record throughout his entire discography? Well, while each album is very similar in certain aspects Pop to me has a certain magic to it that the other records don't share as much. Compared to the more looming and somewhat dark tones of Narkopop or Rausch or Zauberberg, Pop tends to be quite brighter and more welcoming compared to the records listed. And compared to the self titled debut or Konigforst, I noticed and I know it's not just me but Pop has this satisfying progression from beginning to end. And there are other factors I could go into like while I respect Rausch and Narko for there seamless transitions, the latter tends to repeat similar sounds that feels like songs are repeating or the former where some of the tones with that record can be a bit annoying for me. But while comparing/contrasting is fun to do, it doesn't go into the meat of the record.

On the construct of the album, Pop ends up being one of those records where if you know me by now, I tend to go for records that are quite dense and meticulous with there sound design. Or for the purpose of this album the amount of layers each song has. Like I want to be a fly in the room when Voigt made this because throughout its runtime, each song feels like there are at least 10 layers present in each track. But then again, and this just pop up in my head as I type this but I don't know if this was during the point in time where the DAW's we have today were present over 20 years ago. And if that's the case, man this album became even cooler. But on a song by song basis, each one is quite unique from one another while having a clear vision of what Voigt wanted to do.

Now, on a track by track basis the one that tends to be considered the landmark for ambient music is Pop 4. The feeling of frolicking through hills and flower patches while the church bells keep you footed in reality as well its intoxicating/repetitive refrains that I would tend to get lost in the vibe. Hell, I would end up starting to hum along to this album. Becoming a part of the landscape. Though, don't let that fool you into thinking the rest isn't as stellar as that track. Pop 1&2 are perfect startups of the record where compared to the rest of the discography these tracks are quite clear in there approach to sound play. The feeling of being in the forest while the streams of water flowing and bugs making noise while the ambient tones envelop you has this odd middleman of being quite organic and synthetic at the same time. Then you get Pop 3&5 that has that nature quality to it, feels more abstract. Maybe it has to be my age, but Pop 3 has always hit that particular itch of the PS2's start up. Falling though a digital mainframe but knowing you would be okay. While the latter of Pop 5 just feels like your traversing through space. And lastly you get the last two tracks of Pop 6&7 where it takes the more hazy, murky, and enveloping vibes of albums like Zauberberg but making it the payoff for the record. The former being a looming and ominous track while retaining a sincere magic to it. With the last two tracks it sounds like there is a harp within the mix. But the last track ends up being the general thesis to Gas. That thesis being to bringing the rave to the forest or bringing the forest to the rave.

To end this off, while I have a good bit to go before I feel content with 2000, I don't think there will be an album that could overthrow this where I would have to rethink my top 3 for 2000. Like I know what's my favorite album of 2000 is and I do want to give it the hallmark treatment. However, unless there is an ambient or house album that I haven't given the time of day, I think my top 3 is locked. But if my writing peeked anyone's interest, give this a listen. Any record that can hit a state of transcending and feel like you turned invisible, is a big plus in my book. Kompakt is a label that just gets me like that.

Grade:100

Don't expect this to be as common compared to my usual first listens. But I feel like I typed something that feels more fruitful and meaty.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2021 01:20
  • Post subject:
1999: 30/250

I had a bit of an itch to listen to this album due to its big hit. That big hit while being "dumb" is dumb fun that is quite endearing as well as Sisqo was able to put a performance where he is putting his all. And yet, take those qualities from the big hit and spread them within this album to get a pretty excellent album. There is a lot of moments throughout the album where I thought Timberland was underneath the production credits. But shockingly, he wasn't there at all. It would have made some form of sense since Ginuwine's second album wasn't as good as this album. But it goes to show that the producers of this album were able to make an r&b album from the late 90's that is quite nostalgic but also sounds futuristic. There's a part of me that wishes r&b delved back into these type of sounds with future releases. But that could be coming soon since 90's nostalgia has to be a gold mine for new acts. But yeah, this was really nice and I need to give this another listen.

Grade:90 could be a 95. Also a pretty big contender for 1999.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2021 23:49
  • Post subject:
1993: 168/250

So we got another album from the 4AD label from this year. I think this is the fourth album that I have listened to from the label. And unlike the Last Splash or the Euphoria albums that I admire for there playing or dream like soundscapes, it's the album that decide to be a grab bag of ideas that ends up being more favorable to me. Now I prefer Souvlaki over this, but the self titled record runs the gambit of folky americana that you could vibe to while driving through rural landscapes in the country side to songs that have jazz nods to songs that feel weird. I had a pretty fun time with this album. But is this an album that wowed me. Except for maybe track 12, this is great from front to back but the competition for rock music is so ridiculous that as a band, you have to come swinging pretty intensely or surprise me to get far on my year end list.

Grade:85
Could be an honorable mention.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2021 00:34
  • Post subject:
Your Pop Gas write up was great! When I was really into ambient stuff, that was one I remember blowing me away but I forgot about it and haven't revisited in years. May need to jump back in soon.

Not remotely familiar with the most recent write ups. I remember Sisqo being famous when I was a lad.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2021 23:54
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Your Pop Gas write up was great! When I was really into ambient stuff, that was one I remember blowing me away but I forgot about it and haven't revisited in years. May need to jump back in soon.

Not remotely familiar with the most recent write ups. I remember Sisqo being famous when I was a lad.

Glad you enjoyed the write up. Honestly, whenever I decide to do the Masterful Hallmarks I will take your advice and write down bullet points to get more text on stuff I'm generally passionate about. Also these write ups have been few and far between. Well, that's peak season plus working long shifts.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2021 23:38
  • Post subject:
1993:169/250

Sorry that I haven't been frequent for listening to new music and writing about said music. When you have to work for 10 hours, that drive isn't really there. Especially coming up since I'll be working constant till Christmas Eve. But on the free time I get, I want to point out this album out. A part of me wants to hold a slot for my 1993 year end list just for this album alone. An album that feels quite different but also quite similar to what is going on in 1993. Having elements of rock and jazz to create something playful and exotic. Even if I usually wouldn't use exotic for an album coming from Russia. Usually when I think of Russia, my mind would go to something more cold. I don't get that from this album. But good on this act. I don't think it's perfect. Track 6 doesn't maintain the energy the first 5 and other tracks on the album and Track 8 ends pretty abruptly that I feel it could have gone a little further. Or in a more generalization, the album doesn't go that next level to gut punch me. But, this did impress me a lot. And hopefully it will impress you as well.

Grade:90
Maybe 51-100 range, but I need to check what I'm adding.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2021 21:38
  • Post subject:
1975:10/250

Yeah, this is really tight. I do want to give this a bigger write up since this on first listen, this is a 100 in my book. Maybe not the top of the crop, Sensuality while a dope track, I wished that track had a little more body compared to the two slow jams that sandwich that track. For The Love of You is an eternal summer jam and the variation on Make Me Say It Again Girl make that track blossom. Especially in the second half. And the first half of this album is also fire from front to back. My favorite being Hope You Feel Better Love. God that guitar solo and the way that gets manipulated in an e.q way is just the chefs kiss. But the first two tracks are also stellar as well. If you haven't listen to it, give it a listen. A killer force in R&B and Funk.

Grade:100
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2021 22:58
  • Post subject:
1996:32/250

So, the reason why this album and this album were quick to the docket is due to listening to certain tracks off both albums and getting addicted with these particular tunes. With The Heat Is On, that particular track was Hope You Feel Better Love. But on Mission to Please, that particular track was Let's Get Intimate. The intoxication of that track is to die for. Like the guitar solo and the key changes that occur on this track just gets me going. Taking me to a state of euphoria. And the rest of the album goes in that similar direction that ends up being quite enjoyable, quite relaxing and fits a general vibe for night time travel and walking. Maybe the grade could be a little higher or potentially a little lower. But for now, this was a surprise for a record quite later in there career.

Grade:95
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2021 22:29
  • Post subject:
It has been a bit. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. As well as having a happy new year since this year is almost over. This year flew by really quick. Then again, every year feels like that. But I did listen to a few albums and have some thoughts.

I am a bit shocked that after I gave the first masterful hallmark that Wolfgang Voigt released a new album that's supposedly the last album in the Gas moniker. Which, made me want to revisit his 2018 album Rausch. And while I will come a bit hypocritical from the Pop write up, but this is most likely second place in the discography. To the point I'm debating to give this a 100 instead of a 95. But would stay really high up for 2018. Though with the end of the moniker, I might plan to do a worst to best ranking? It is in the cards and I could maybe spruce up the Pop write up as well. Just throwing that out there.

Well, another record from Sasu Ripatta that I find very fascinating, meticulous and welcoming and most importantly really enjoyable. I think I have 8 albums done if I'm counting his music under his Luomo moniker and usually I find his sound design and mood to just hit a certain sweet spot. I would go into specifics, but this does spoil a bit of the two masterful hallmarks that Luomo will be getting at some point. But do give this a listen if you want something relaxing but dabbles into the glitch playbook that doesn't alienate compared to Autechre. Then again if your not used to glitch, you might not be crazy for this. Grade:95 Also shocked that I still need to listen to the second Rakka album especially how much I love the first Rakka. Another masterful hallmark on my to do list.

Yeah, I still have the other 3 Kick records that I will need to give a listen at some point. Originally the pan was to revisit the first Kick album from 2020 and then go through the other Kick's. But this is one of those records that takes that glitch playbook like Autechre and Aphex Twin and ends up being a record that will alienate newcomers while people who are used to this will be pleased. Damn, this was honestly amazing. This is probably top 10 of 2021. And I say probably since I have a lot to unpack for 2021. And like Rausch, this is another record that feels like material for the hallmark series. That is like 5 potential write ups on the docket. So unfortunately I have to be hush hush on a lot of my thoughts for Kick 3 but it's one of those albums. Grade:95 but realistically a 100 on future revisits.

Also want to shout out that recent single from FKA Twigs with The Weeknd Tears In The Club. Dope track. That's it for now.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2022 00:42
  • Post subject:
Well, it has been a while. I have been meaning to get back to the listening grind. However, anytime I think I'm ready to start this up again, it tends to get pushed back again and again. So this ends up being in a bit of a hiatus. But to put something out there I actually ended up buying new records for my vinyl collection.

For the recent picks from late November to mid January of this years I got this:
Marvin Gaye-What's Going On
George Benson-Breezin
David Bowie-Heroes
Autechre-Chiastic Slide
Bjork-Homogenic
Childish Gambino-Awaken My Love
Sturgill Simpson-Sound And Fury
Clipping-There Existed An Addiction To Blood
Sufjan Stevens-The Ascension
Autechre-Sign
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis-Carnage
  • Visit poster's website