How are you all?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/05/2022 20:09
  • Post subject: How are you all?
Hello there.

How have you all been doing at this time?

I have wanted to talk on this site for over the last few years but I've never had the chance to do so as I have been at college (I have talked a few times in the past for fixes and other stuff though).

But I do want to put this out to tell you all that I am done with college for good.

And since that goal has been completed, I am now wanting to look into music a little more and buy albums as I haven't done so in a long time. I want my collection to go a bit higher in number. I did delete my album collection around late last year because of being busy.

My main interest in music is the 2000s. Over the years through playing video games, going on YouTube and watching TV music channels, my music taste has gone up by a lot. I can go from listening to American/Canadian post-grunge (Hoobastank, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Fuel, Default, etc) to pop-punk (Goldfinger, Simple Plan, Busted, Yellowcard, Bowling For Soup, etc) to UK alternative rock (Feeder, Stereophonics) to Australian hard rock (Jet, Silverchair). I don't mind a little stuff from the 90s though so I could be getting some stuff from that decade. I did used to listen to a lot of Nu Metal (Linkin Park's early stuff, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, System of a Down)

I know you're thinking that this is sad to read as most of these bands are known for being guilty pleasures or one hit wonders but I guess I'm a sucker for that kind of music.

I have also wanted to play guitar a bit more as I haven't been to lessons since covid.

Anyway, hope you're all good.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 08/05/2022 21:37
  • Post subject:
Right now, I am praying that I don't get my mother's current strep throat sickness because when I get hit with strep, I get completely mangled by it.

God bless you and my mom always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2022 00:25
  • Post subject: Re: How are you all?
Smithy98 wrote:

I can go from listening to American/Canadian post-grunge (Hoobastank, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Fuel, Default, etc) to pop-punk (Goldfinger, Simple Plan, Busted, Yellowcard, Bowling For Soup, etc) to UK alternative rock (Feeder, Stereophonics) to Australian hard rock (Jet, Silverchair). I don't mind a little stuff from the 90s though so I could be getting some stuff from that decade. I did used to listen to a lot of Nu Metal (Linkin Park's early stuff, Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, System of a Down)

I know you're thinking that this is sad to read as most of these bands are known for being guilty pleasures or one hit wonders but I guess I'm a sucker for that kind of music.

I've really been digging this lately...

Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World

Seeing them at Riot Fest in September. Have you ever checked it out?
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2022 02:16
Smithy98 wrote:
I did delete my album collection around late last year because of being busy.

Are you saying you completely deleted your entire music library, without making a backup first? That's — I dunno, I could hardly even conceive of doing something like that. Hopefully you just weren't clear on what you actually did...

I've been preparing a chart for the year 2006 myself, and I have to say it was a fairly diverse decade, music-wise. Hip-hop and nu-metal were probably the biggest commercial trends, but there was also post-rock, nugaze, "lo-fi," early dreampop and noisepop, "industrial" rock, and even a resurgence in jazz and neo-classical music. Mass-consumption teenage dance-pop seemed to be in a downturn, only to come roaring back in 2011-12 or thereabouts. Personally, I liked some of the pop-punk stuff, but I was really more of a shoe/nugaze and dreampop fan at that point, and I guess I still am really.

You can customize the overall chart on this site, which is a really nice feature, so here's the overall chart customized for the 2000s. For good or ill, the Top Five are pretty much what you'd expect from BEA — two Radiohead albums followed by Arcade Fire, The Strokes, and Wilco. All good records, but I'm afraid none of the bands you've mentioned above show up until #142, with System of a Down's Mezmerize. (I could have missed one or two, though.)

I suppose you could interpret that to mean this is basically a straight-up hipster site, but ehh, maybe I'm just being mean. (And also a hipster!)
  • Visit poster's website
Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/06/2022 07:10
Repo wrote:

I've really been digging this lately...

Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World

Seeing them at Riot Fest in September. Have you ever checked it out?

I do know of Jimmy Eat World, yes. I've never had a massive interest apart from knowing "The Middle".

I don't know, maybe I like more of the underrated type of bands from the 2000's, that may just be me.

I could have a look at one day. I need to make a wishlist first if I want to buy albums that I actually want.
  • Visit poster's website
Smithy98

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/06/2022 07:26
MadhattanJack wrote:
Are you saying you completely deleted your entire music library, without making a backup first? That's — I dunno, I could hardly even conceive of doing something like that. Hopefully you just weren't clear on what you actually did...

Oh no, I have albums on CD but I took them off my laptop as I pressed something by accident which caused the collection to be messed up and so I just deleted it all from there along with the collection on BEA.

Usually when I make a collection on here, I have to have the album added onto my laptop as well as having it on my MP3 player.

Hope this makes sense to you.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2022 12:42
Smithy98 wrote:

IMO if you take pleasure in something, don't be guilty about it (as long as it's not hurting anyone else or something like that, and listening to music is certainly not doing that)

Right now I have a neighbor who's really into blasting pop-punk, emo, and nu-metal from the mid-2000s. At first it really annoyed me and I was complaining about my neighbor's poor taste in music, but a few earworms have got me listening to this type of music that I haven't listened to seriously since that era. And some of it is still great!
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2022 15:12
Smithy98 wrote:
How have you all been doing at this time? ...hope you're all good.
I'm doing okay. Just your typical thirty-something navigating life. Hope you are good too. Keep on rockin dude!

(I'm proud to say only one user here has Bleed American higher on their chart than I)
LTSings

United States

• Posted: 08/08/2022 15:09
  • Post subject:
My musical taste is different from the others on this site. I'm looking forward to the upcoming release by my favorite singer, Lauren Talley.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
joedec

United States

• Posted: 08/24/2022 07:03
  • Post subject:
I try to be diverse with my musical taste. Whether that be Goth Rock, Thrash Metal, Hip Hop or whatever. In recent years, I've dabbled in outlaw music like Johnny Cash and classic jazz artists such as Miles Davis and John Coltrane. I'm a bit all over the place. I'm especially looking forward to the new Megadeth album, The Sick The Dying and the Dead.
  • Visit poster's website