Get To Know A Top 10: December 2021 Thread - Anti

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
43%
 43%  [7]
Sunbather by Deafheaven
12%
 12%  [2]
The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones
18%
 18%  [3]
Stratosphere by Duster
0%
 0%  [0]
Dots And Loops by Stereolab
6%
 6%  [1]
Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life
6%
 6%  [1]
Dopethrone by Electric Wizard
12%
 12%  [2]
Feels by Animal Collective
0%
 0%  [0]
From Here We Go Sublime by The Field
0%
 0%  [0]
The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid by Stars Of The Lid
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 16

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2021 02:06
  • Post subject: Get To Know A Top 10: December 2021 Thread - Anti
For our thirteenth poll, Anti's chart won on the tiebreaker (top to bottom). Here are the ten albums up for discussion during the month of December:

1. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
2. Sunbather - Deafheaven
3. The Glow Pt. 2 - The Microphones
4. Stratosphere - Duster
5. Dots And Loops - Stereolab
7. Deathconsciousness - Have A Nice Life
8. Dopethrone - Electric Wizard
9. Feels - Animal Collective
11. From Here We Go Sublime - The Field
12. The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid - Stars Of The Lid

Note: Geogaddi (#6) and Velocity : Design : Comfort (#10) have been skipped due to past discussion in Get To Know A Top 10 and replaced by the following two albums on the chart.

As always, you can listen to as many of these as you have time and energy for - no pressure to get to know all ten well. This discussion also doesn't have to take place in order, because different people will be listening to them at different times.

Drop your musings, analysis, etc. here as the inspiration hits you. And where possible, interact with what other people have been saying for a more interesting discussion.

If you do get a chance to listen to all ten, you can then vote for your favorite in the attached poll.

Last but not least, here are the past threads if you want to go back and listen to stuff you missed.

April 2018 thread (Luigii): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20004
May 2018 thread (Tilly): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20126
June 2018 thread (Jimmy Dread): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20249
July 2018 thread (Hayden): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20364
August 2018 thread (RockyRaccoon): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20454
December 2018 thread (SquishypuffDave): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=20890
January 2019 thread (Tap): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21003
April 2019 thread (dihansse): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21394
May 2019 thread (Tha1ChiefRocka): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21512
June 2019 thread (Lowkey): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=21594
November 2019 thread (revolver94): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=22184
January 2020 thread (baystateoftheart): https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=22446
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2021 02:49
  • Post subject:
Oh my, thank you everyone for selecting me!

I do have some notes on my chart that I can elaborate on. I've been very slow to finish the whole chart so some of the 10 here don't have a note. Hopefully some discussion here can help me with the writing process as I explain my love for these albums.

I've been one to edit my chart frequently in the past, but as I get older these album age like fine wine and my chart becomes more static. I think what you see here will be stable for quite some time.

I will chime in my thoughts once some discussion starts. I feel pretty comfortable talking about these albums at length. Whatever the first album is to be selected, I will be happy to dissect it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/02/2021 05:07
  • Post subject:
Hi-fi headphone core.

Well familiar with all of these, but I think I've only heard Stratosphere once (somewhat recently, maybe last year). I get the collective. Big ideas, big sounds, oceans. Can't fire shots at oceans.

Think I'll give The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid another spin during all this. Probably the one I haven't heard in the longest. (Probably because of length, but it's a super easy listen regardless).

Strong bunch. Varied, modern, complex. Thumbs up.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/02/2021 15:36
  • Post subject:
Like Hayden said, it's all about the aesthetics here. Which is why this is one of my favourite charts around, and quite possibly the one I look up to the most as I also consider myself a sucker for atmospheric… anything. Noisy, shoegazy, lofi, dreamy, psychedelic, ambient soundscapes all get a nod of approval from me. I do have a miss or two in these circles when it comes to classics (or even just genres in general, I'm still not into shoegaze as much as you'd think based off of my other preferences), but in general, this is pretty close to home for me.

Haven't heard Dots and Loops, heard Tired Sounds and Stratosphere once each (and honestly don't remember much about either except that they were pretty cool), everything else is either very good or a favourite. Except maybe Deathconsciousness, it's one of those classics that I never quite loved as much as others. Dots and Loops seems like a natural place to start too, Bay has revealed the potential of Stereolab to me with that Emperor Tomato Ketchup pick from the "album below you" game. The 4th album may be the lucky one.

The Glow Pt. 2 is a top 50-ish album of all time, Feels is my Animal Collective pick as well. It, Dopethrone and From Here We Go Sublime are all on the 2000s chart. Sunbather and Loveless are 2nd and 3rd favourites here, also classics. I think I'll have a short write-up about each album in a week or two.

Btw first time participating fully in the "Get to know a top 10" thread, thanks for organizing this Bay!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/02/2021 20:43
  • Post subject:
Yeah, first time for me as well, cool idea!
Now, don't get me wrong, but I have to say I like the chart more than the albums In it. In other words, I respect how it manages to have a clear direction, a glowing one I might add, that never gets too predictable or monotonous. It's easy to tell time and effort have been put into it and it's definitely not a chart you see every day. The only problem is that the albums themselves don’t do that much for me, as they happen to be rather far from my preferences – and again, not to take anything away from the chart, that’s only a matter of taste.
So, I checked my files a bit and this is how I’'d rank them based on the scores I've given them.
1)Stratosphere
2)Glow Pt. 2
3)Deathconsciousness
4)Dopethrone
5)Feels
6)Loveless
7)Dots And Loots
8)Sunbather
9)The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid
10)From Here We Go Sublime

I haven’t spent that much time with any of them and my ratings are at least 3 years old, so I’ll try to revisit as many as possible and it would be interesting to see how that may alter my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2021 21:05
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Hi-fi headphone core.

I get the collective. Big ideas, big sounds, oceans. Can't fire shots at oceans.

Love
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2021 21:13
  • Post subject:
Man, I need to revisit Sunbather again. Wonderful album. But like everyone has said, Anti's list is really varied and tends to have dope albums. There is only a few that I need to listen to at some point like Stratosphere, Deathconsciousness and Feels. As well as really enjoying the rest of these albums. Oddly with Dots and Loops, that is an album that while is really well made, the feeling oddly shrinks on me for some reason. And I can't explain why. Lastly, Everyday from The Field's debut is awesome. The way that track flips Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere is so good. Though I'd argue that isn't my favorite track from them or my favorite album.

Also bay, it has been at least three years since Geogaddi and Velocity Design Comfort have been selected for this list. Then again that list has been update since then.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 12/03/2021 00:38
  • Post subject:
Cool list! I've heard about half of these, but with the exception of Loveless, only about once each, or so long ago that I don't remember. Looking forward to listening. I'll see how many I can get through, as my job requires me to listen to stuff for hours and I have autism-related hyperacusis, so sometimes I just don't have it in me. But the weekend's coming up, so I'll have a bit of time. Probably start with The Microphones because that's one I haven't heard but I like folky stuff and obviously it's very highly regarded.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2021 02:01
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Like Hayden said, it's all about the aesthetics here. Which is why this is one of my favourite charts around, and quite possibly the one I look up to the most as I also consider myself a sucker for atmospheric… anything. Noisy, shoegazy, lofi, dreamy, psychedelic, ambient soundscapes all get a nod of approval from me. I do have a miss or two in these circles when it comes to classics (or even just genres in general, I'm still not into shoegaze as much as you'd think based off of my other preferences), but in general, this is pretty close to home for me.

Haven't heard Dots and Loops, heard Tired Sounds and Stratosphere once each (and honestly don't remember much about either except that they were pretty cool), everything else is either very good or a favourite. Except maybe Deathconsciousness, it's one of those classics that I never quite loved as much as others. Dots and Loops seems like a natural place to start too, Bay has revealed the potential of Stereolab to me with that Emperor Tomato Ketchup pick from the "album below you" game. The 4th album may be the lucky one.

The Glow Pt. 2 is a top 50-ish album of all time, Feels is my Animal Collective pick as well. It, Dopethrone and From Here We Go Sublime are all on the 2000s chart. Sunbather and Loveless are 2nd and 3rd favourites here, also classics. I think I'll have a short write-up about each album in a week or two.

Btw first time participating fully in the "Get to know a top 10" thread, thanks for organizing this Bay!

Thank you for the wonderful compliments! Yeah I've noticed over the years you and I have had similar tastes in music. I highly enjoy your chart and have found recs off of yours as well. Feelings mutual!
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2021 02:06
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Hi-fi headphone core.

Well familiar with all of these, but I think I've only heard Stratosphere once (somewhat recently, maybe last year). I get the collective. Big ideas, big sounds, oceans. Can't fire shots at oceans.

Think I'll give The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid another spin during all this. Probably the one I haven't heard in the longest. (Probably because of length, but it's a super easy listen regardless).

Strong bunch. Varied, modern, complex. Thumbs up.

Thank you! Needless to say a lot of factors are considered when I enjoy an album. But I think if I had to take away the most common denominator here it's that I love when albums create worlds of their own or simply have incredibly immersive sound.