Get To Know A Top 10: December 2021 Thread - Anti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
43%
 43%  [7]
Sunbather by Deafheaven
12%
 12%  [2]
The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones
18%
 18%  [3]
Stratosphere by Duster
0%
 0%  [0]
Dots And Loops by Stereolab
6%
 6%  [1]
Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life
6%
 6%  [1]
Dopethrone by Electric Wizard
12%
 12%  [2]
Feels by Animal Collective
0%
 0%  [0]
From Here We Go Sublime by The Field
0%
 0%  [0]
The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid by Stars Of The Lid
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 16

Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2021 02:08
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Yeah, first time for me as well, cool idea!
Now, don't get me wrong, but I have to say I like the chart more than the albums In it. In other words, I respect how it manages to have a clear direction, a glowing one I might add, that never gets too predictable or monotonous. It's easy to tell time and effort have been put into it and it's definitely not a chart you see every day. The only problem is that the albums themselves don’t do that much for me, as they happen to be rather far from my preferences – and again, not to take anything away from the chart, that’s only a matter of taste.
So, I checked my files a bit and this is how I’'d rank them based on the scores I've given them.
1)Stratosphere
2)Glow Pt. 2
3)Deathconsciousness
4)Dopethrone
5)Feels
6)Loveless
7)Dots And Loots
8)Sunbather
9)The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid
10)From Here We Go Sublime

I haven’t spent that much time with any of them and my ratings are at least 3 years old, so I’ll try to revisit as many as possible and it would be interesting to see how that may alter my opinion.

Thank you! Yeah a certainly have my niche, but I do my best to venture out to other genres that our outside my typical taste.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2021 02:13
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Man, I need to revisit Sunbather again. Wonderful album. But like everyone has said, Anti's list is really varied and tends to have dope albums. There is only a few that I need to listen to at some point like Stratosphere, Deathconsciousness and Feels. As well as really enjoying the rest of these albums. Oddly with Dots and Loops, that is an album that while is really well made, the feeling oddly shrinks on me for some reason. And I can't explain why. Lastly, Everyday from The Field's debut is awesome. The way that track flips Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere is so good. Though I'd argue that isn't my favorite track from them or my favorite album.

Also bay, it has been at least three years since Geogaddi and Velocity Design Comfort have been selected for this list. Then again that list has been update since then.

Thank you, thank you! It might have been your recommendation that got me really hooked onto the Field, so thank you for that!
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2021 02:14
  • Post subject:
indieshins wrote:
Cool list! I've heard about half of these, but with the exception of Loveless, only about once each, or so long ago that I don't remember. Looking forward to listening. I'll see how many I can get through, as my job requires me to listen to stuff for hours and I have autism-related hyperacusis, so sometimes I just don't have it in me. But the weekend's coming up, so I'll have a bit of time. Probably start with The Microphones because that's one I haven't heard but I like folky stuff and obviously it's very highly regarded.

Sweet! I hope you enjoy! I think The Glow Part 2 has my favorite 3 track opener ever.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/03/2021 06:58
  • Post subject:
yeah got to agree with a lot of you. I really like how it's focused around the ambitious atmospheric and dreamy sound a lot of the time, with shoegaze and lo-fi folk as the mains.

before I even checked out and heard all the 10 albums, I knew what was going to be my favorite.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2021 16:03
  • Post subject:
Anti is genuinely the GOAT

Fantastic chart, seeing Anti's taste evolve over the past decade has been so fun.

Sunbather is my favorite album here, but they're all super solid.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2021 16:42
  • Post subject:
A great group of albums! Loveless and Dots And Loops are on my own overall right now, and I also love The Glow Pt. 2. Deathconsciousness, Feels, and The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid are all very good. I've only heard Stratosphere and From Here We Go Sublime once (impressed by both), so I'll revisit those two. Sunbather and Dopethrone will be brand-new listens.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2021 00:00
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Man, I need to revisit Sunbather again. Wonderful album. But like everyone has said, Anti's list is really varied and tends to have dope albums. There is only a few that I need to listen to at some point like Stratosphere, Deathconsciousness and Feels. As well as really enjoying the rest of these albums. Oddly with Dots and Loops, that is an album that while is really well made, the feeling oddly shrinks on me for some reason. And I can't explain why. Lastly, Everyday from The Field's debut is awesome. The way that track flips Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere is so good. Though I'd argue that isn't my favorite track from them or my favorite album.

Also bay, it has been at least three years since Geogaddi and Velocity Design Comfort have been selected for this list. Then again that list has been update since then.

Thank you, thank you! It might have been your recommendation that got me really hooked onto the Field, so thank you for that!

Wait, I recommended The Field to you? Because I don't remember that at all. Then again it has been some time from that. Like I remembering giving you a push for Campfire Headphase and you really adore that album.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 12/06/2021 03:05
  • Post subject:
So far I've listened to The Glow pt 2., Sunbather and Dopethrone, all once each. Liked them all. It was great listening to Sunbather again, because when I listened to it initially, I had very little experience with heavier music, including shoegaze. I don't think I'd even heard Loveless at that stage. Now with more grounding in both metal and shoegaze, I had more appreciation for what they were doing.

The other two I hadn't heard before. Loved the heavy, deep, doomy sludge of Dopethrone, definitely giving that another listen. And The Glow pt 2 had a really interesting sprawling eclecticism to it, which fit with the lo-fi production to give it this endearingly ragged feeling.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2021 03:37
  • Post subject:
So I'm halfway through the list and it's not really clicking with me for the most part.

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
I remember when this first came out. I was introduced to it by my niece and my initial impression was that I was excited to find a current band that was new and fresh on one hand and something I could enjoy listening to on the other hand. However, over time, the sound lost me, largely due to my dislike for those not-so-engaging vocals. This latest listen was pretty lukewarm.

Sunbather - Deafheaven
Okay, so this is heavy.... cool.
But then.... again, those vocals! I grew up with heavy metal, and to this day listen to a good deal of speed metal, industrial, and thrash, so I have no problem with harsh vocals. But they do need to be at least somewhat intelligible, and please, a least little melody. This was also not my thing.

The Glow Pt. 2 - The Microphones
Some interesting acoustic work here, but the music is just too plodding and the vocals too subdued for my tastes.

Stratosphere - Duster
The music, like the album cover, seems a sort of pseudo-minimalism with some potentially interesting modulations to be heard along the way. There were some songs I could really sink my musical teeth into, but there were too many with those plodding, droning, repetitious eighth or quarter notes going on and on and on. A real mixed bag here.

Dots And Loops - Stereolab
Okay, now we're talkin'!. Here's the big happy surprise of the first half. I was really enjoying the music sans vocals for a while, but then here we go again... in comes the weak vocalist dragging down potentially great music again... but wait! Now we've got some female vocals to.... with a good voice... and most importantly providing some intricate counterpoint to the primary vocal. Now that I think about it, there are intricate arrangements throughout the music. Lots to pique my interest here. What's more, subsequent listens illuminated even more wonders. This is easily my top choice in the group so far.

1. Dots And Loops - Stereolab
2. Stratosphere - Duster
3. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
4. The Glow Pt. 2 - The Microphones
5. Sunbather - Deafheaven
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2021 19:39
  • Post subject:
This is fascinating because honestly none of these albums are remotely my jam. There is an interesting taste presented here, a unique perspective which I can respect and, indeed, do respect. But I don't like shoegaze too much, nor electronic dance music, nor blackgaze, nor somewhat imprecise freak-folk stuff, nor slowcore.... so that kind of makes it so the album I like the most here is Dopethrone but even amongst metal genres and aesthetics that slow, heavy as fuck, almost drone sound is probably at the end or toward the end of my arbitrary rankings (ahead of Power Metal of course). Loveless is special too, despite not really liking nor ever fully understanding the intense appeal of the genre and aesthetic amongst music nerds (I think there is an interesting tendency of music fans toward the more gauzy, indistinct, dreamy, slower, more subtle side of indie music and sounds.) I think that 1991 classic has earned its love.

I suppose I prefer music that is clear, cutting, jagged, fomulated, and maybe i'm a bit more attracted to tradition or clarity of melody. That may explain why when I see 7-9 of these 10 albums steer clear of this bundle of traits I just described, I am left amazed at the incredible variety of opinion music fans have.

I am going through an Animal Collective Hatred phase at the moment, so the one that is my LEAST fave is clear here. The best or my fave of these is Loveless or Dopethrone with neither being something I love or really REALLY like.

--------------

sounds like I'm ragging on this chart and top 10... so let me say, this is cool. I am actually impressed that this has a disticnt vibe, a very Anti feel, and it .... fits together. And I am amazed that, against all odds and surely some shared or overlapping tastes in music, not a single one of your TOP TOP TOP albums ever I even feel a little love for. The odds are slim but you did it.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website