Get To Know A Top 10: December 2021 Thread - Anti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
43%
 43%  [7]
Sunbather by Deafheaven
12%
 12%  [2]
The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones
18%
 18%  [3]
Stratosphere by Duster
0%
 0%  [0]
Dots And Loops by Stereolab
6%
 6%  [1]
Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life
6%
 6%  [1]
Dopethrone by Electric Wizard
12%
 12%  [2]
Feels by Animal Collective
0%
 0%  [0]
From Here We Go Sublime by The Field
0%
 0%  [0]
The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid by Stars Of The Lid
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 16

EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2021 20:55
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Hi-fi headphone core.

Well familiar with all of these, but I think I've only heard Stratosphere once (somewhat recently, maybe last year). I get the collective. Big ideas, big sounds, oceans. Can't fire shots at oceans.

Think I'll give The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid another spin during all this. Probably the one I haven't heard in the longest. (Probably because of length, but it's a super easy listen regardless).

Strong bunch. Varied, modern, complex. Thumbs up.

Thank you! Needless to say a lot of factors are considered when I enjoy an album. But I think if I had to take away the most common denominator here it's that I love when albums create worlds of their own or simply have incredibly immersive sound.

Agree with Hayden and while he tends to be incredible at describing music in ways I wouldn't have thought of, Anti you couldn't have put it better yourself. I'm still working my way through the list but every album here truly creates a world of their own (as do the next few albums to round out the ones I've heard in your top 20).

I'm working my way through the albums but I'll provide some thoughts on a few:

1. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine is one of my all time favorites as well. Easy to see how it could be a #1 for anyone, and particularly for you Anti seeing the albums that follow. Sometimes I can listen to music in the background of doing work, but albums like this demand full attention, and really wrap you in.

2. Sunbather by Deafheaven has maybe one of the most deceivingly juxtaposed title/artwork and music among any albums I've ever listened to (other than intentionally misleading titles like 20 Jazz Funk Greats by Throbbing Gristle). I did NOT get what I signed up for when I first pressed play on this album, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it. Just wish I knew and realized what "blackgaze" was when I first listened. Subsequent re-listens, it even still comes back to surprise me a bit.

3. I've always been underwhelmed by The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones. I haven't re-listened recently but I should. It's been a few years and I think this style of music has grown on me. I recently highly rated Mount Erie, stands to reason I would now like this one too.

4. I listened to Stratosphere by Duster this morning for the first time, though it had been on my to-do list at one point and somehow fallen off. Unlike Sunbather, this is an album whose title and artwork DEFINITELY match the vibe of the music haha. Minimalism is usually hit or miss for me, though this one falls sort of in the middle, maybe with a slight lean towards miss, unfortunately.

5. Dots and Loops by Stereolab is a dope album. Personally I prefer Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements, which could easily be in my top 100 whenever I next decide to edit it.

7. I should also re-listen to Deathconsciousness by Have a Nice Life. I gave this a pretty high rating but am having trouble remembering all but a few tracks.

8. Dopethrone by Electric Wizard is stoner metal at its best! A genre I'm not super turned on by yet, this album is a true gateway drug.

9. Feels by Animal Collective is not my favorite of their albums, but I suppose it's quite close with Sung Tongs and Merriweather Post Pavilion. Totally different vibe than the latter though. Also my favorite album artwork they've ever had.

11. & 12. I haven't listened to either From Here We Go Sublime by the Field and The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid by Stars of the Lid, but I will plan to listen to both in the next few days and post back here when I have. I'm super impressed by this list overall, and I'm looking forward to these 2 I haven't heard (one of which I haven't even heard OF).

Great chart Anti, I think my only ONLY critique is the recency bias and/or narrow date range of the majority of the albums. The top 12 are from a 14-year period, and the vast majority of the chart is from post-1991. This is minor though, as it just makes me think about my own chart, and I have a similar bias but AWAY from the 90s, subconsciously or unintentionally as it may be.

Oh and the comments are great, still need to read through them but I'll plan to read through each as I listen to the album.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2021 03:09
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

Great chart Anti, I think my only ONLY critique is the recency bias and/or narrow date range of the majority of the albums. The top 12 are from a 14-year period, and the vast majority of the chart is from post-1991. This is minor though, as it just makes me think about my own chart, and I have a similar bias but AWAY from the 90s, subconsciously or unintentionally as it may be.

Oh and the comments are great, still need to read through them but I'll plan to read through each as I listen to the album.

Thank you! Yeah that recency bias is something I am aware of and have been wanting to fix for some time. The 80s is easily my least explored decade in (in modern music history [and by modern music, I mean 60s-now]), but I've been on a slight 80s binge so hopefully we can get a nice push of 80s albums in there soon.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2021 03:13
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
yeah got to agree with a lot of you. I really like how it's focused around the ambitious atmospheric and dreamy sound a lot of the time, with shoegaze and lo-fi folk as the mains.

before I even checked out and heard all the 10 albums, I knew what was going to be my favorite.

Thank you! Even from the very start of this hobby one thing is for certain, I love noise and fuzz. It's a lusciousness I can't get enough off.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2021 03:14
  • Post subject:
Lowkey wrote:
Anti is genuinely the GOAT

Fantastic chart, seeing Anti's taste evolve over the past decade has been so fun.

Sunbather is my favorite album here, but they're all super solid.

Appreciate it my man. I wouldn't have discovered a lot of my favorites without you paving the way, especially during your esoteric phase lol.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2021 03:24
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
A great group of albums! Loveless and Dots And Loops are on my own overall right now, and I also love The Glow Pt. 2. Deathconsciousness, Feels, and The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid are all very good. I've only heard Stratosphere and From Here We Go Sublime once (impressed by both), so I'll revisit those two. Sunbather and Dopethrone will be brand-new listens.

Thank you! Coincidentally, I first listened to both of those albums one after the other and they both immediately fell on my loved list. I kind of grouped those two albums together ever since haha. Needless to say, the Wall of Sound is what hooked me onto Sunbather. It's just an excellent example of how metal can be beautiful. I love the song progressions and the bright tones to the guitars. Everything is executed and designed so well.

Regarding Dopethrone, it's easily the noise and the album's heaviness. The noise in particular makes this album mildly psychedelic and hypnotic. I really should find more noisy doom metal like this.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2021 03:26
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Anti wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Man, I need to revisit Sunbather again. Wonderful album. But like everyone has said, Anti's list is really varied and tends to have dope albums. There is only a few that I need to listen to at some point like Stratosphere, Deathconsciousness and Feels. As well as really enjoying the rest of these albums. Oddly with Dots and Loops, that is an album that while is really well made, the feeling oddly shrinks on me for some reason. And I can't explain why. Lastly, Everyday from The Field's debut is awesome. The way that track flips Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere is so good. Though I'd argue that isn't my favorite track from them or my favorite album.

Also bay, it has been at least three years since Geogaddi and Velocity Design Comfort have been selected for this list. Then again that list has been update since then.

Thank you, thank you! It might have been your recommendation that got me really hooked onto the Field, so thank you for that!

Wait, I recommended The Field to you? Because I don't remember that at all. Then again it has been some time from that. Like I remembering giving you a push for Campfire Headphase and you really adore that album.

Hmmm perhaps I remembered incorrectly. But yes, I do remember you recommending the Campfire Phase. I had lukewarm thoughts towards BoC before listening to that record and now they are one of my favorite artists. So I do have to thank you for that rec because I might not even had listened to it!
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2021 02:38
  • Post subject:
Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life
Still seems long on atmosphere but short on music. Once again, the vocals don't help.

Dopethrone by Electric Wizard
I was pretty happy with this when I first heard it. That ultra-heavy sound was right up my alley. Like the heaviest riffs in the history of Black Sabbath made even more sludgy and absolutely compelling. Since then, I have grown less tolerant of the overly processed vocals.

Feels by Animal Collective
A little more variety than the rest of the list, but still nothing to really grab me.

From Here We Go Sublime by The Field
This sounds to me like good background music for cleaning house. Not something I'd turn to for actual active listening.

The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid by Stars Of The Lid
This was another pleasant surprise. Ironically, the most minimalist songs on in the entire list, but these feel like they modulate in interesting ways Despite having some of the most subdued music in the 10, this really held my interest.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2021 03:16
  • Post subject:
So here's the irony for the day:

This is far from my favorite list in the series...
... and yet, this is the first list in which the album I though would win out for me was displaced by a new to me entry from a genre I generally don't listen to. What's more, my favorite going in fell not just to second place, but to third.

Gold: Dots And Loops - Stereolab
Silver: The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid - Stars Of The Lid
Bronze: Dopethrone - Electric Wizard
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2021 18:46
  • Post subject:
Okay, now I've re-listened to Stratosphere and From Here We Go Sublime. Both are great records that grew on me a little the second time around, the former largely because there wasn't a disconnect between expectations and reality like on my first listen (I thought it would be more outside the box). Duster's debut is a beautiful, atmospheric slowcore album with plenty of instrumental subtlety. While strong, it's not one of my favorites of the genre. Meanwhile, From Here We Go Sublime is hypnotic in the best way, impeccably produced with outstanding vocal samples (even a Flamingos cameo on the title track). In particular, Everyday is transcendent. My one quibble is that almost all of it follows the same basic template.

Onward to the metal!
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/12/2021 18:15
  • Post subject:
Dots & Loops
This was excellent and easily the best thing by Stereolab I've heard. Much more fun, jazz-infused, electronic and trippy. Their long jams usually don't do much for me, but here the 17-minute Reflections in a Plastic Pulse might be the best song on the album.

Sunbather
Nothing new to report, I still think it's an absolutely fantastic record with a much stronger first side. Dream House is near perfect, the title track is exceptional as well, Vertigo and especially Pecan Tree are both great, but lose me at times due to length and not being as transcendental as the first half of the album. And boy do I love when the interludes aren't just random filler, but actually contribute to the album in a meaningful way. Windows is so good, explores many ideas and sounds which aren't present on the rest of the record.

Feels
MIA (most improved album). It's funny, I've heard Feels so many times, but it still manages to get better on every listen. Maybe because I've not heard it in some time. Bumped it 20-ish places on the decade chart. Banshee Beat - Daffy Duck - Loch Raven - Turn Into Something run is A+.

From Here We Go Sublime
Mostly as good as I remember. Another one which loses me a little in the second half, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Still a favourite.

Stratosphere
Best "new" album (not quite new since I've heard it once before, but whatever). Sad vacuum noises is my favourite genre.

Deathconsciousness
Parts of it are spectacular, good portions are ok-ish and sound cool, some of it is downright boring to me. Still not clicking fully, the length doesn't help either, I guess. Somewhere between ok and good-ish album.

The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid
Quite wonderful. Droney guitars and horns were especially fantastic, such a comforting sound. It's an easy ambient album to get into and even though it's 2h long, it doesn't feel too long. Likely to become a favourite after a few more listens.

Loveless
I'm on Mercury's side here, not that many shoegaze albums are favourites, but this is certainly one of the finest examples of the genre. Legendary status, 99% deserved imo, and it's easy to see why it's at number 1.

Dopesmoker
A full-blown classic, still doesn't quite reach top tier metal rank for me, but it hardly matters. The first several minutes of Funerapolis are such a powerful opening segment. Good rec for someone getting into stoner or doom metal.

The Glow Pt. 2
Not a good idea to listen to this Saturday morning. I still believe it's my favourite here, even though I wasn't in the mood and didn't enjoy this particular listen much.

Really nice batch of albums. It makes sense listening to them one after the other (in any order), which is another big plus in this kind of game.

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 12/18/2021 15:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website