Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2022 16:37
  • Post subject:
A few thoughts:

- ditto Hayden's thoughts on KGLW, except slightly less so (in a good way)? For a band that consistently puts out same-y sounding music, this album both bettered their well-oiled formula as well as departed from the norm. Unfortunately I think that makes the album less than congruent, but in my opinion it's the most interesting KGLW album since 2017's Flying Microtonal Banana (which may not seem like a long time, but it IS 11 albums later). The hip-hop-ish bits were weird, definitely not my style, nor clearly their style. Honestly I thought it was some weird collab and was expecting to find some unknown Australian rapper in the credits. But nope, it's just them. However I will say they began diving into sampling, which is not something I've known KGLW to do before. And I think that was incredibly interesting. Right now I think this is in my top 5 KGLW albums.

- Sault's new album is wonderful. Choral and orchestral, it's a magnificent piece of production. In a way they diverge from their typical soul/R&B sound... but sort of not really, since this new album has similar themes and vibes just with different instruments. And it works. For me at least.

- I think there's a good chance that some other folks here will enjoy this compilation as much as I did:

WaJazz: Japanese Jazz Spectacle Vol. I ...us Artists
It's a collection of Japanese jazz picks from 1968-1984. Fairly diverse in style (including Cuban-inspired music which I've yet to hear in Japanese jazz), but an excellently curated and well mastered compilation.
rostasi

• Posted: 05/05/2022 18:34
  • Post subject:
Yup, to the WaJazz collection. I got that back in early March and've listened to it often since.
Unfortunately, some of the most rewarding tracks from important WaJazz guys like Masahiko Sato
aren't available digitally, so you're kind of tied to buying a hard copy to get them. You can get the
wonderful Masahiko Togashi on the track Fourth Expression as well as the great big band of
Toshiyuki Miyama & The New Herd (I was just listening to Tsuchi No Ne last week) tho, so there.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/08/2022 10:59
  • Post subject:

Thanatos Of Funk by Minoru "Hoodoo" Fushimi
Not necessarily 2022 music (it was originally released in 1985), but a cool recent reissue. Fushimi was a teacher back in the 80s and self-produced and released this weird experimental synth funk debut. It was allegedly influential in the Japanese electronic and hip hop scenes. An interesting piece of history and a nice, groovy album.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/08/2022 15:10
  • Post subject:
April showers brings May this—

Limen by KMRU & Aho Ssan
BRAPBRAP ZXQZQXZXQZQZQXQZXQZQ DURDURDURDURDURWHOAAAAAAAMMMMM ZXQZXQZQXZQXQQZQX
TUDTUDUTDUTDUTDUTDUTUD BRAP BOOM SSSCCCCCCCCCCIIIIIIII VWUMVWUMVWUMVWUMVWUMVWUMVWUMVW
BOOMBOOM KKKKRKRKRKRKRKRKKRKRKRKRKRKKKRRRRRRRRRRR WWWWoOOOOOOWOOWOWOOWOWOM!!!!!!!

The Linden Trees Are Still In Blossom by Jens Lekman
So, this is different. It's less a reissue and more a 'reworking' (which, in the digital age, I'm expecting to see more of). Jens got in a smidge of trouble for some uncleared samples, so he (somewhat) remade Night Falls Over Kortedala and plopped some bonus tracks. I haven't spun the entire record yet, but I played some of my favourite cuts and they sound fantastic. Looking forward to giving it a full listen sometime this week. He also had to do the same thing for Oh You’re So Silent Jens, which is now—

The Cherry Trees Are Still In Blossom by Jens Lekman

The Broadcast by Fil Jackson
If you're into the current Buffalo scene, you'll probably like this. Smidge rough around the edges, but overall it's a solid 25-ish minute tape from Toronto. Sharp beats, and Jackson has some bars. Hit above my expectations.

Kilumi by Coco Em
Somewhat Jlin-inspired footwork-ish record, Coco Em might be one to watch. This record shows its seams way too much, and it's not always as clean as it should be, but there's this very obvious passion behind it. Hoping her sound develops and expands for her next work.

Ghosted by Oren Ambarchi / Johan Berthl...as Werliin
Percussion jazz. Was already about halfway through before I realized I should have been paying better attention. It's a really interesting groove they have here. It isn't a long record— it almost comes across as a single session— but it transports you into this trance. They have something going on here. Well worth a listen.

A Chant About The Beauty Of The Moon At...us Artists
This is a self-explanatory comp. Super clean recordings. Perfect for some summer background music.

Here And There by Kibrom Birhane
This is another record I'm not 100% sure I recommend (for it's double the length it should be, and not nearly as captivating as spiritual jazz usually is), but if anyone wants to give some east-African-vibe jazz a spin, here ya go.

And this post is getting long, so here's just some notes—
—Arcade Fire's We is better than Everything Now. So, yay. The Lightning I/II is the best track by far (I actually think it's their best track since 2010) but the rest of the record is still a solid work. Won't go down in history, but I'm just relieved it isn't an absolute dud. Good stuff.
—Looking forward to giving the new Black Star a spin this week.
—Same with Niechęć.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/09/2022 00:45
  • Post subject:

Link

LESGOOO

New Niechęć is good.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/09/2022 02:28
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Link

LESGOOO

I'm having deja vu.

This is exactly how I felt when Kendrick dropped 'i' as the first single on To Pimp A Butterfly. When he pulled such an insanely strong/popular/iconic/recognizable song for the sample, and it was hard to tell whether his track was great, or if it's great because the sample was doing the heavy-lifting. I think they recreated the sample (or found an insanely pristine hifi master somewhere— both could explain the selective segments), but didn't do too much else to flip it. It's Kendrick going over Marvin. So... yeah, it's very good, and the sound he got out of it is fantastic, but there's part of me feeling like he cheated. Laughing

Video's neat. Dug what he did. I'm 99% certain the Will Smith addition was last minute.

Either way, it's a very promising track. Hoping (like the correlation between 'i' and Butterfly) the album strays slightly away from this though.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/09/2022 15:23
  • Post subject:
That's an interesting comparison and I get where you're coming from. i was a proper first single though, felt like a club banger. The Heat Pt. 5 feels like a very good album cut. A bold leading single choice if you ask me, that's why I can't put those two in the same bin. (Besides, i is a better song imo). But maybe that's just me.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2022 16:58
  • Post subject:

A Light For Attracting Attention by The Smile

new radiohead/not radiohead album. there have been leaks floating around the internet for a few days now, and i'll say, this is a great album. i wasn't a fan of ywnwita on first go, but it's grown on me, and it fits nicely enough in the context of the album, which itself is a bit of an amalgam of the many faces of radiohead.

Forest City by Maria Chiara Argirò

i'm liking this collision of warped electronica and celestial jazz as well. very different from her previous work in more contemporary jazz.

We by Arcade Fire

listened to this over the weekend as well. i was pleasantly surprised after their last couple records. it's pretty decent. it doesn't reach funeral/arcade fire ep/neon bible levels for me, but i think it's more or less on par with the suburbs.

in other news, a couple of artists recently announced new albums coming:

Hellfire by Black Midi

Tough Baby by Crack Cloud
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/11/2022 22:01
  • Post subject:

Word is it's a double album.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/11/2022 22:36
  • Post subject:
Quelle Chris dropped 3 incredible singles in the last few months and they have gone under the radar it seems. This is already AOTY material lol. Album's out tomorrow.

Link

Link

Link

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website