• Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/03/2022 10:14
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:
I've come to say....

Kings Disease III best album of the 2020's
I've heard it 3-4 times now and I'm still of the opinion that II was better. Feels like Nas keeps on rapping about the same themes over and over. He does it really well, but idk, something just didn't click with me this time. Still a pretty good album, mind you.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/04/2022 23:06
  • Post subject:
After about 1,040 albums I have decided to stop now with 2022 music. My top 100 of the year will be done in some days. What a crazy ride.

I can say that overall I prefer this year to 2021 enormously.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/08/2022 21:21
  • Post subject:
My top 100 releases of 2022 here!!!!

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2022 19:00
  • Post subject:

Heroes & Villains by Metro Boomin

Metro dont miss
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/14/2022 00:06
  • Post subject:
Several pretty good discoveries while going through the stuff I've missed earlier in the year. All of them under the radar it seems.

Gone by Clyde And The Milltailers
Country and Americana. Whiskey and cigarettes.

Spiro World by Time Wharp
Third stream and electronic minimalism. Bleeps and bloops.

With The Incrowd by Agat
Industrial rap (?) and whatever. Pink Siifu and Zelooperz.

A Muted Reality by Angles
Big band and avantgarde. Swedish and jazzy.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2022 19:34
  • Post subject:
Little Simz is a Goddess!!! Love
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/23/2022 02:29
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Little Simz is a Goddess!!! Love

Wild how quite this release was. Looking forward to giving it a spin soon. (Along with SZA).

I've been writing like crap recently, so this is just going to be lazy, but here's some of my final 2022 notes—

—Gave the new 1975 album a listen and found it far surpassed my expectations. Came across like an energetic group of guys getting together and making some punchy pop-rock. Fun record, bit of bite— maybe I was just in the mood for it, dunno, but I thought it was a really solid album.

—Got around to Renaissance. There's a couple Beyonce songs I enjoy— I'm not a hater by any means— but I'm not a fan of how Beyonce's delivery has developed. Even compared to her '03-13 output, I find her demeanour here... almost... rude? She sounds obnoxious. Songwriting's okay-ish, the repainted 80s/90s vibe is fun (and, the production in general is ace), but I couldn't get with her delivery. There's this inauthenticity to what she's saying that's just so glaring. A lot of her words sound dead.

The design of the record was cool though. Front-to-back progressive house party. Dug that. Just wish her personality was more like how she acted in her 20s.

—Gave MUNA a listen. Ok. Again, not my thing, but it's fun.

—Tinariwen dropped a pretty dull record too unfortunately. Disappointed in the production.

—Relistened to Jockstrap's critical darling. Still not sure how they manage to wrap you up in such minimal instrumentation. They wove a blanket out of air. Wish the vocalist had a bit more strain/versatility/diversification, but there's a lot of brilliant ideas there.

—Handful of solid neo-jazz records out recently. Leland Whitty (BBNG) dropped a solid (but short) record, and Work Money Death released a record that's really close to being great, but the full potential of the record never fully hits. Needed 25% more oomph, y'know? Few more risks. NCY Milky Band's latest (which has a Quelle Chris verse of all things) is another standout. Regardless, all are well worth a spin.

—After nearly a full year, I spun Hikaru Utada's Bad Mode. Too skeletal for my likes, but when it comes together, it comes together really nicely. Finally two tracks are the best part by quite a bit. Somewhere Near Marseilles is dope. Might land my chart.

—Richard Dawson's The Ruby Cord is brilliant. First (colossal) track alone is worth a record. The fact Dawson's offkey vocal style works overtop these rich Newsom/Kozelek/Callahan-esque instrumentals is alien. Nothing like it, and people should be scared to even try.

—That Big Joanie album is plain awful.

—Metal Preyers also have a new record out that's worth listening to too. Experimental ambient afrofuturism.

I'll wrap it with that.
(Still have about a dozen albums from the year on my radar that I want to get around to, and I haven't even begun digging through year-end lists).
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/23/2022 13:01
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
—Handful of solid neo-jazz records out recently. Leland Whitty (BBNG) dropped a solid (but short) record, and Work Money Death released a record that's really close to being great, but the full potential of the record never fully hits. Needed 25% more oomph, y'know? Few more risks. NCY Milky Band's latest (which has a Quelle Chris verse of all things) is another standout. Regardless, all are well worth a spin.
Agree, I was hyped to listen to it, but it kinda fell flat. Nothing wrong with it, it's some tasty, modern spiritual jazz, but it lacks the adventurous character which they displayed on last year's The Space etc etc. I'm not sure if I like or dislike the spoken word parts. Still a cool listen, mind you.

I've been on a bit of a jazz spree lately, since I've heard literally two 2022 jazz albums before last month. But between The Comets, Time Wharp, Hedvig Mollestad & Trondheim Jazz Orchestra, Angles, Niechęć, Shabaka, Mary Halvorson, Anteloper, Szun Waves, Jasmine Myra, Makaya McCraven, Work Money Death etc. I can safely say that 2022 has been a fantastic year for jazz.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/27/2022 16:36
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Agree, I was hyped to listen to it, but it kinda fell flat. Nothing wrong with it, it's some tasty, modern spiritual jazz, but it lacks the adventurous character which they displayed on last year's The Space etc etc. I'm not sure if I like or dislike the spoken word parts. Still a cool listen, mind you.

I've been on a bit of a jazz spree lately, since I've heard literally two 2022 jazz albums before last month. But between The Comets, Time Wharp, Hedvig Mollestad & Trondheim Jazz Orchestra, Angles, Niechęć, Shabaka, Mary Halvorson, Anteloper, Szun Waves, Jasmine Myra, Makaya McCraven, Work Money Death etc. I can safely say that 2022 has been a fantastic year for jazz.

Yeah— just wasn't as hot as it should have been. Still, good. I dug the concepts of the spoken word parts, but I think they needed a slightly more interesting voice (timbre, etc) to do it.

The list you jotted— particularly Myra, McCraven and Shabaka— are all fantastic notes. Myra's record is one fo my favourites of the year. (Haven't heard Angles or Hedvig yet). I don't know if I've said this around these parts, but I'm going to reiterate I think this recent wave of jazz (since 2014/2015) is the best scene since the mid-70s. As someone who's watched/listened to jazz trends/movements/eras over the decades, I love seeing how strong the flux of albums has been the last few years, especially in the UK, USA, Germany, South Africa, Denmark and Norway. It wasn't that long ago jazz was practically dead (the 90s/00s/early 10s weren't... umm... flush with quality material). To see how vibrant (and young) the genre is right now is fantastic.

All said, some other noteworthy 2022 jazz—

The Hands Of Grace by Ishmael Reed
The fact Ishmael Reed hadn't made a record until now (he's almost 85!) almost feels weird. It has that Monk-esque offkilerness, with gospel/southern influences and nuances (the album consists of compositions for his latest play, The Slave Who Loved Caviar). Glad we got this one. Being said, compared to his prose, it's a relatively tame album (in a good way though— very well-controlled).

Shebang by Oren Ambarchi
Not sure where jazz starts and post-rock begins, but this is a beautiful composition. Oren Ambarchi is the only two artists who have two albums in my top 100 of the year, and I'm very excited to see what he does next.

Live In Algovia by Aaapuz
Bavarian/Serbian-influenced free jazz by the German trio. Very punchy, fun, lively— they let loose a little and have a blast. Not nearly as harsh at the cover looks. I think everyone could get something out of this one.

Kjenslevarulv by Dei Kjenslevare
Ambient tonalities. If air was jazz.

Pigments by Dawn Richard & Spencer Zahn
This is another gorgeous record, and one I wasn't expecting in the slightest. I'm going to be mean— I don't like Dawn Richard's previous music that much, so I eschewed this without a second thought. Brilliant compositions— lovely post-minimalism new age work. On a technical level it might lean more towards being labelled classical, but it's worth noting nonetheless.
  • Visit poster's website