Rolling Stone's Updated Top 100 Guitarists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2011 15:40
  • Post subject:
John Frusciante, John Lennon and Johnny Ramone have no business being even considered. Lindsey Buckingham, Richard Thompson, Joe Walsh and Prince should be WAY higher. Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen are WAY too high. And I love Keith Richards...but are there really only 3 guitarists in the world who are better? Really?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 11/24/2011 15:57
  • Post subject:
surely if they can have Kurt Cobain on there, they should really also have Mike McCready and Billy Corgan also?
Sean

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2011 16:05
  • Post subject:
For a RS list it was pretty good

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3385
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/24/2011 16:44
  • Post subject:
Well, if I recall correctly, their last list didn't even include Slash, so yes, I'd say this is an improvement. I appreciate the inclusion of Alex Lifeson, though I admit I'm a little sad that Kim Thayil didn't make this one (he was #100 on the previous one, I believe). However:

JAMES HETFIELD BEFORE KIRK HAMMETT?!?!?!?!?! WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• Posted: 11/24/2011 16:47
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
Pertucci's technically brilliant but as Robert Fripp says, "Any fool can play something difficult." Dude's got no flair, no style, no soul.

Also, sorry for the double post, but this just isn't true. Listen to Stream of Consciousness sometime.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2011 17:27
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
John Frusciante, John Lennon and Johnny Ramone have no business being even considered. Lindsey Buckingham, Richard Thompson, Joe Walsh and Prince should be WAY higher. Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen are WAY too high. And I love Keith Richards...but are there really only 3 guitarists in the world who are better? Really?

...John Frusciante is the man. Have you not heard his work with Mars Volta, his solo records or his duo with Omar Rodriquez-Lopez?

Also, no disrespect to Kurt Cobain, but why the fuck is Kurt Cobain on this list? What is this list based on? Kurt was FAR from the best grunge guitarist - perhaps the most influential, but not much of a virtuoso within his genre.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/24/2011 17:33
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

...John Frusciante is the man. Have you not heard his work with Mars Volta, his solo records or his duo with Omar Rodriquez-Lopez?

Also, no disrespect to Kurt Cobain, but why the fuck is Kurt Cobain on this list? What is this list based on? Kurt was FAR from the best grunge guitarist - perhaps the most influential, but not much of a virtuoso within his genre.

Well virtuosity is obviously not their main criterion, or else John Lennon wouldn't be on there, either. Cobain's on this list because his work was influential and almost universally regarded as legendary.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2011 17:39
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Jackwc wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Well virtuosity is obviously not their main criterion, or else John Lennon wouldn't be on there, either. Cobain's on this list because his work was influential and almost universally regarded as legendary.

Yeah, but I feel that that falls more into the category of songwriting as opposed to guitar-playing. He was influential SONGWRITER, but he wasn't doing anything all that influential with the GUITAR, you know what I'm saying? If this was all about pure songwriting influence, Lennon would be #1 in a heartbeat, but this is about influence in the field of guitar playing, and thus he doesn't have much of a place here.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
M Hurley

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2011 19:00
  • Post subject:
i feel the list is a little safe. does anyone know how they go about making theses lists anyway? because if it's by voting it seems more like a popularity contest than anything else... i don't think jimmy page deserves to be put at #3 and conversely having duane allman at #9. i think they had it right the first time. however i definitely like seeing zappa at #12 instead of #45! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/24/2011 21:28
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
swedenman wrote:
Jackwc wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Yeah, but I feel that that falls more into the category of songwriting as opposed to guitar-playing. He was influential SONGWRITER, but he wasn't doing anything all that influential with the GUITAR, you know what I'm saying? If this was all about pure songwriting influence, Lennon would be #1 in a heartbeat, but this is about influence in the field of guitar playing, and thus he doesn't have much of a place here.

I agree. I imagine their justification for putting Cobain on there is just that the band's sound WAS unique and influential and Cobain's guitar was a big part of their sound, not necessarily that his guitar was the influential part.