Album of the day (#4052): No More Shall We Part

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/22/2022 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4052): No More Shall We Part
Today's album of the day

No More Shall We Part by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2001.
Overall rank: 919
Average rating: 80/100 (from 329 votes).

Tracks:
1. As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
2. And No More Shall We Part
3. Hallelujah
4. Love Letter
5. Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow
6. God Is In The House
7. Oh My Lord
8. Sweetheart Come
9. The Sorrowful Wife
10. We Came Along This Road
11. Gates To The Garden
12. Darker With The Day

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2022 02:13
  • Post subject:
While not every single one of these songs knocks me on my ass, the best of this record’s material is some of Cave’s very best. I particularly enjoy As I Sat Sadly By Her Side, God Is In The House, and Oh My Lord.

Good day for one of Nick’s records to be AOTD, just got my tickets to see he and Warren Ellis in March Very Happy
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/23/2022 10:36
  • Post subject:
I'm also seeing him with the Bad Seeds in June, can't wait. Not sure how controversial this take is, but No More Shall We Part is definitely better than A Boatman's Call. In fact I'd call this his most immersive album, a beautiful, coherent set of songs which put me in a certain mood. I think it was their best 21st century effort up until Skeleton Tree dropped.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2022 14:52
  • Post subject:
Awesome, hope you enjoy and have a safe concert!

I don’t disagree at all that this record has a very particular mood, and I think you’re correct in calling it his most immersive for sure. I felt it on first listen, it was something different and almost like a stage production was underway. Based on the songs, I prefer Boatman’s Call but your assessment is spot on.

As for my partially controversial Cave statement, the live record, Idiot Prayer, is the one I find myself returning to the most often. That version of The Mercy Seat stops me in my tracks.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/23/2022 20:15
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I don’t disagree at all that this record has a very particular mood, and I think you’re correct in calling it his most immersive for sure. I felt it on first listen, it was something different and almost like a stage production was underway.
Exactly what I feel too, but I also love the tracklist itself a bit more than Boatman's Call. Cannot fault anyone who thinks otherwise though, both are excellent.

Idiot Prayer is the most intimate performance he's put to tape, I haven't spent enough time with it to rank it very high in his discog, but I surely see why people love it. Have a safe and good concert too AAL!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/24/2022 16:13
  • Post subject:
What a beautiful record.

I agree with almost everything said here, it does have a certain atmosphere and it is probably the album where Warren Ellis' violin playing is at its most prominent, something playing a role that an electric guitar would play in a more traditional rock band.
Songs sound huge, and Nick's vocal performance is probably a bit more theatrical and varied than on any other Bad Seeds album.
I would also like to add that I absolutely adore the piano here, it is so gentle and totally gorgeous and adds so much colour and emotion to the songs.

It took me a while to get into it since it's slightly longer than usual, but definitely among the best 5-6 Bad Seeds albums and on par with Boatman's Call.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2022 16:36
  • Post subject:
There's so many great records in Nick Cave's discography that it's hard to compare. Personally I think their output from the mid 90s to the early 00s is their best, and this record falls squarely in the middle.

There are some great albums in the 80s and early 90s, but not as consistent, and I'm just not as much of a fan of their more minimal/dark ambient approach beginning in the 2010s.

I'll have to check out Idiot Prayer, I remember hearing that that happened but never watched/listened myself. Enjoy your concerts!
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2022 23:53
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:

it is probably the album where Warren Ellis' violin playing is at its most prominent, something playing a role that an electric guitar would play in a more traditional rock band.

I would also like to add that I absolutely adore the piano here, it is so gentle and totally gorgeous and adds so much colour and emotion to the songs.

Yes, I’m definitely with these statements. It’s the record that moved them into the sounds that would define their most recent output.

And while Nick isn’t Rick Wakeman (and for better rather than worse, may I clarify), I LOVE his piano playing. It’s what makes Idiot Prayer one of my very favorites of his.

Agree that his use of piano here is one of this album’s cornerstones. It is such a marvelous trademark of his sound and how he constructs music. I too really like the early Bad Seeds albums but when he started incorporating the piano more prominently, he became a much better songwriter (in my opinion).
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 01/25/2022 01:37
  • Post subject:
Feel like this one gets underrated compared to some of the ones around it, like Boatman's Call and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. It's good and has a unique tone and presentation as everyone's said - love the orchestral touches. I think I breezed past this album a bit in my Cave deep-dive though and it didn't hit me as hard as some other albums, so it's definitely one I need to revisit. Also, I'm rather envious of those seeing him live. I did catch him doing a QandA after a screening of 20,000 Days on Earth several years ago, which was pretty cool, but I've missed him every other time he's done a home visit, and never for performing music. I have a habit of doing that with Australian artists Laughing Hopefully I'll catch him next time he's back! Enjoy, those who are seeing him.