RIP Freddie

View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 11/24/2011 17:16
  • Post subject: RIP Freddie

It's hard to believe, but exactly 20 years ago today Queen's legendary frontman passed away at the age of 45 at his home in Kensington. Regardless of what you thought of the band, it's impossible to deny that Freddie was gifted with a phenomenal voice and was a true rock legend. Please use this thread to share any memorable experiences you have of Freddie or Queen in general, as well as your favorite vocal performances of his.

Queen is and has pretty much always been my favorite band, and though I love Brian, Roger, and John, Freddie was always the main reason for this. My obsession with them started in 6th grade when my oldest brother dug up his old copy of A Night at the Opera and bequeathed it to me. This was the first album I could ever call my own, and has since been my favorite. I was too young at the time to appreciate it for much more than the simple fact that it was enjoyable to listen to, but since then I've come to realize that this album is a true masterpiece, whether because of Freddie's outstanding vocal performances, Brian May's intricate layered guitar riffs and solos, the complexity of the vocal harmonies, or simply the raw emotion that backed everything they did, even if it often came off as overblown and cheesy (granted, this was largely the appeal, in my opinion). After I came to love this album, my brother came home one day with another Queen album: Sheer Heart Attack. This has since come to be my second favorite Queen album, and on that day I resolved to collect every album the band ever produced. I first received A Day at the Races from my parents for my birthday, and from then on I proceeded to save every penny I made for the purpose of purchasing more albums for my collection, and by the time the end of summer had rolled around and it was time to return to school for 7th grade, I had completed my collection.

Even though I've since come to realize that Queen is actually NOT the only good band out there, they will probably always be my favorite. In addition to the qualities listed above, I've always loved how they were able to include so much variety in their work without ever losing that "Queen sound", and even in their later years when many thought they were going downhill, they still managed to make their music fun, if not necessarily all that "good", per se. Their 15 albums display more range than almost any other band out there, and the fact that they probably have more songs regularly heard on classic rock radio stations than any other band is a true testament to the legacy this incredible band has left behind.

Here are a handful of my favorite performances by Freddie Mercury. There are truly too many great ones to list, but here are the ones that I think deserve special mention:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2011 17:20
  • Post subject:

Link

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/24/2011 18:05
  • Post subject:
Queen were among the greatest bands of all time, and thankfully people are starting to get this.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2011 18:07
  • Post subject:
...what do you mean "starting" to get this? They have always been on of the biggest bands of all time.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/24/2011 18:15
  • Post subject:
I mean more like the critics are, should of clarified.
  • Visit poster's website
nrs182

Colombia

• Posted: 11/24/2011 22:24
  • Post subject:
I think Mercury had the greatest voice in music history. Who's with me?
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2011 06:02
  • Post subject:
Nobody could beat Freddie when it came to showmanship! His Live Aid performance is something that I can watch again and again and again!