I think the user "gmessian" is a troll

View previous topic :: View next topic
P3t3rTheG04T

• Posted: 02/16/2022 20:33
  • Post subject: I think the user "gmessian" is a troll
(I originally posted this in the "new members" section, but I feel like that might not have been the right place to post it, so I'm reposting it here)

I've been browsing this site for a while because I think it's a good place to find new music to listen to, and I was looking at the ratings for the album "Ants From Up There" by Black Country, New Road, and there's this user named "gmessian" who's been giving random tracks extremely low scores. I know this sounds like I'm just complaining about someone disliking music that I like, but I think there might be something suspicious going on.

I looked through their profile and they've been around since 2014, but they've only rated 3 albums and 7 tracks, and they dished out these ratings today and in the span of a few minutes. They rated each album / track a 20/100, and they seem to be targeting the highest rated / most popular tracks from the albums. They only rated three tracks from AFUT, Concorde, The Place Where He Inserted The Blade, and Basketball Shoes, which just so happen to be the three highest rated tracks on the album. And they did the same thing for For The First Time, they only rated the three highest rated tracks on the album (Science Fair, Sunglasses, and Opus). They also for some reason rated Aloo Gobi from Weezer's Ok Human, which confuses me because that's not even the highest rated track on the album, but still. It seems like gmessian is purposefully giving the highest rated tracks / albums extremely low ratings just to mess up the ratings. In other words they're a troll.

Another thing I find strange is that even though they've only rated 7 tracks and 3 albums, never left any comments or anything like that, they're somehow a level 4 user? Idk, something seems fishy about that. Is it possible that they've somehow hacked the site to give themselves a lot of points? I don't know if that's even possible, but it doesn't really add up.

Even though I've been watching this site for a while I never made an account, but I decided to make one in order to combat gmessian's trolling. I don't if what they're doing is against the site rules or anything, but I thought I should bring it to attention.

Edit: Another thing I'd like to mention. So far I've rated almost 300 tracks and 24 albums, but I've only gotten 2 points. This makes me even more confused as to how gmessian has over 800 points when they've only rated 7 tracks and 3 albums.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/17/2022 07:14
  • Post subject: Re: I think the user is a troll
Hi, in general all ratings are the opinion of the person making them. Ratings outside three standard deviations are not included in the average for an item, so likely will not have the effect the person intended. Points are awarded, not just based on number of ratings, but also chart entries, data moderation etc. The user in question had gained the number of points in question but deleted some of their charts so not all the points are listed in the breakdown (this is by design so that if you gain a level, you don't then lose it, if you delete a chart etc). There is also a time lag before points are awarded, so for yourself the points have caught up since you posted. I hope this helps to answer your questions.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/17/2022 08:31
  • Post subject:
They got a name for the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.