Album of the day (#4158): Close To The Edge by Yes

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/08/2022 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4158): Close To The Edge by Yes
Today's album of the day

Close To The Edge by Yes (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1972.
Overall rank: 90
Average rating: 85/100 (from 1330 votes).

Tracks:
1. Close To The Edge: The Solid Time Of Change / Total Mass Retain / I Get Up, I Get Down / Seasons Of Man
2. And You And I: Cord Of Life / Eclipse / The Preacher The Teacher / Apocalypse
3. Siberian Khatru

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
an-outlaw

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/08/2022 21:11
  • Post subject:
Gosh this appears to be almost 50 years old!
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2022 03:17
  • Post subject:
I don't usually admit this to anyone, but this was my overall favorite album for about a year-and-a-half, shortly after it was released — even though all the Beatles records, most of the Kinks albums, and Paul & Linda McCartney's Ram already existed at that point. Along with Ziggy Stardust and the first Roxy Music album (both of which came out on the exact same day btw, for all you release-date trivia buffs out there).

I still listen to it occasionally, especially when I feel like I've been sitting in the chair for too long and I need to get up, and then get dowowowwowowown. Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 05/09/2022 05:06
  • Post subject:
It's allllmost half a century and music still has the hardest time to create a long musical piece as complete and defining and spiritually wholesome as the title track.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2022 06:40
  • Post subject:
One of the seminal prog rock texts. Fantastic stuff.

Track picks
1. Close To The Edge: The Solid Time Of Change / Total Mass Retain / I Get Up, I Get Down / Seasons Of Man
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2022 19:36
  • Post subject:
There are still some things that bother me about this album, though. For example, why should anyone, male or female, take the blame for the crucifixion of their domain? And how do you crucify a domain anyway? This is 1972, so it's well before the internet, which means the common usage of the word "domain" would have involved territory or real estate, right? So what are they expecting people to do, take a large amount of acreage and nail it to a big cross, in a horrific display of ancient Roman cruel and unusual punishment? And if it's a woman's domain, maybe they're being sexist (again, 1972) and assuming it's just a kitchen or something, but even then, how are you going to put a kitchen up on a cross? And what would a kitchen have done to deserve such a fate? It didn't make sense to me when I was 12, and it doesn't make sense now.

On the other hand, at age 12, my pre-teen knowledge of plate tectonics (and geology in general) was far more limited than it is today. So while I still doubt that a Roger Dean landscape like the one depicted in the inner gatefold could exist outside of (maybe) a zero-gravity planet (something that itself probably couldn't exist), I've since learned that Siberia isn't as geologically stable as I'd thought, despite being "trapped" and largely immobilized between the Eurasian and North American plates for tens of millions of years. So while there isn't a lot of lateral or circular plate movement happening there, there's still plenty of tectonic shift going on, including small-plate subduction areas as well as "vertical tectonics" creating fracture zones and what-not. We just don't see any of this because, well, it's all happening in eastern Russia and nobody wants to go there.
  • Visit poster's website
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 05/09/2022 20:16
  • Post subject:
I absolutely love this album. When I was a kid I'd put my stereo speakers of my little old-fashioned system up on the bed and on either side of my head to listen to it. It repeatedly blew my mind, over and over again, and it still does. The sound, mix, and effects were, and still are, absolutely incredible. Close to the Edge is the epitome of popular progressive rock. Unfortunately, most bands today can't come even close to the efficiency, creativity, and quality of this great album. It will always be one of the genre's best, one of the best albums ever recorded for that matter.
an-outlaw

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/09/2022 21:06
  • Post subject:
rockbluesfolkjaz wrote:
I absolutely love this album. When I was a kid I'd put my stereo speakers of my little old-fashioned system up on the bed and on either side of my head to listen to it. It repeatedly blew my mind, over and over again, and it still does. The sound, mix, and effects were, and still are, absolutely incredible. Close to the Edge is the epitome of popular progressive rock. Unfortunately, most bands today can't come even close to the efficiency, creativity, and quality of this great album. It will always be one of the genre's best, one of the best albums ever recorded for that matter.

This write up makes the album seem curious. It's rare I hear the album being enhanced by the hardware to play it. Adventurous in a way.
  • Visit poster's website
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2022 17:54
  • Post subject:
an-outlaw wrote:
This write up makes the album seem curious. It's rare I hear the album being enhanced by the hardware to play it. Adventurous in a way.

I was a kid, but I understood stereo enhancement well; however, I didn't have the proper equipment for listening pleasure. That is until my older brother came home from the Air Force with a brand new 4-speaker Pioneer quad system (about 1975). It seems music listeners were much more interested in the sound, and the ability to make the music sound as though the performers were right there in the room, surrounding you. Today's computers, smart phones and tablets, and bluetooth speakers have made all that kind of blurry. It amazes me how many people are satisfied with sound emanating from one speaker. So much is lost that way. I'm guilty of it too. Convenience and simplicity wins out.