Best Ever Television?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/30/2022 02:11
  • Post subject: Best Ever Television?
Did a search but didn't find anything, but then again I am in general bad at utilizing search engines effectively

Have we ever done a Best Ever Television survey? Ordered and ranked the same way as the ongoing yearly film polls. Could incorporate ongoing series, miniseries, TV films, etc. That is if anyone is interested of course.
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 05/30/2022 09:00
  • Post subject:
Sounds good. TV is the new rock ‘n’ roll.

I don’t remember anyone doing this anyway.

I predict The Wire would win by some distance though.

My predictions are 9 out of 10 wrong.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2022 13:55
  • Post subject:
I imagine this could be done. I’ve never seen too much interest, but it could be neat. I… don’t even think I’ve seen any other forum attempt this.

I was also thinking of an 80s v2 film list this summer. If either one of these interest BEA, I’d be happy to host.

The TV one would have to run several months at minimum.

Last edited by Hayden on 05/30/2022 20:32; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2022 16:37
  • Post subject:
Yeah, over the past few years I've been getting into miniseries (at least the ones they allow on Letterboxd), but it's still have trouble committing myself to so many of them. Heck, I still haven't seen the original Evangelion series, and Anno has become one of my all-time favorite filmmakers. And obviously Lynch has been a favorite of mine for over a decade, but I still haven't been able to get through more than a few episodes of the original series of Twin Peaks (though The Return is an absolute masterpiece to me)

It also is confusing to figure out what counts as "TV" these days. I guess most Youtube channels are TV (and maybe paysites are too?), but including them on a list like this seems sorta cringe.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 05/30/2022 18:35
  • Post subject:
TV is such a hard one to quantify, much more so than movies, at the same time I’d be fascinated by how it turns out.

It might be difficult to garner huge amounts of votes too, given the watching involved in some cases and lack of access to more ‘obscure’ shows so to speak, but if there was some sort of manageable system in place I’d be totally down.

• Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/30/2022 21:09
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
TV is such a hard one to quantify, much more so than movies, at the same time I’d be fascinated by how it turns out.

It might be difficult to garner huge amounts of votes too, given the watching involved in some cases and lack of access to more ‘obscure’ shows so to speak, but if there was some sort of manageable system in place I’d be totally down.

it would turn out very casually i bet
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/30/2022 21:32
  • Post subject:
yeah TV is hard to narrow down into a single poll, I mean would we include variety shows, TV documentaries/non fiction and fictionalized serials? Hard to compare, but overall would be interesting. Perhaps it would be something to just leave up for a long while, perhaps the rest of 2022, rather than the usual two-three months cutoff so people have more time to catch up on all their watching and whatnot and organize a coherent list. Definitely a good idea, however just TV shows in general might be a bit too much for one poll.

And yeah Hayden the 80s movie also sounds tasty and if the TV is more of a long-running poll these could run concurrently.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2022 23:23
  • Post subject:
Okay, here’s how I personally try to define TV: Like cinema, it can be described well with that Tarkovskyism “sculpting in time”; but while cinema mostly does this in two chronological “dimensions” (runtime and in-universe time), TV is ALSO experienced through the “real time” dimension of our weeks or days through serialization.

Because of this, I do NOT think that TV movies count, but I think you can argue that most heavily serialized things do.

You can obviously narrow it down to “fiction”, though, and while there might still be debate with a lot of things, I think it can at least give us a decent idea of what to include.

Also, I know Hayden is probably up for more discourse about this, so I guess I'll expand on my philosophical definition of TV by also posting Kent Jones's definition of cinema (the best one I've been able to find):
[A practice of] compression.... [where] every choice becomes charged and interacts with every other choice in the momentum towards a defined end point."
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/31/2022 01:11
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Also, I know Hayden is probably up for more discourse about this

Laughing

You might be surprised, but I kinda don't. I would consider TV simply anything televised and episodic.

Which, means I agree with this—

Quote:
Because of this, I do NOT think that TV movies count, but I think you can argue that most heavily serialized things do.

And this one would make everything way simpler—

Quote:
You can obviously narrow it down to “fiction”, though, and while there might still be debate with a lot of things, I think it can at least give us a decent idea of what to include.

but it would mean no Planet Earth II Sad or Last Week Tonight (I... think? I suppose it is scripted though)
(I would of course argue against anything like... the Shopping Channel of course)

Quote:
And yeah Hayden the 80s movie also sounds tasty and if the TV is more of a long-running poll these could run concurrently.

Def thinking about it. Over the course of the summer, etc. Bit of fun. I was considering it anyway, but S4 of Stranger Things kinda got me more in the mood Laughing The 80s have been very 'in' recently.

Either way, no matter whatever messiness it might have, I'd be open to a TV poll. Not to jump the gun, but I imagine it would be super 21st century heavy.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 05/31/2022 08:22
  • Post subject:
Based on what folks are saying so far, maybe “best scripted tv series” would work as a potential header? This would then allow documentaries but would exclude chat shows, live events, sports coverage etc.

Edit: actually “scripted” might rule out a lot of documentaries as they are often unscripted.

Last edited by theblueboy on 05/31/2022 13:32; edited 1 time in total